life expectancy of control arms and king pins/ball joints of a TJ` - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > life expectancy of control arms and king pins/ball joints of a TJ`

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

life expectancy of control arms and king pins/ball joints of a TJ`

So I am running about 152k on my Rubi right now.

What is the life expectancy of the control arm bushings and ball joints of a TJ?

I got a good discount at Oriely's for a few more weeks and was wondering if I should buy them now while I have the discount going.

So what is the verdict? buy em now or wait until they fail?

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've got nearly 250k on my 99's originals...
Everything's still in good shape....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 has 125k. The ball joints still test good. The control arm booshings were shot when I bought it with 106k on it. No idea whether my TJ was garaged for any of its previous life.

I am generally proponent that the factory CA bushings are good for 100k/ten years, but certainly have seen cases to the contrary.

With regards to your bjs and oreillys....the moogs are $58 each...I understand spicers can be had for 1/2 that from ECGS. Just fyi.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'd just get spicer BJs from ebay when the time comes.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The replacement parts you get from O'Reilly most certainly won't be of OEM quality.....yes, even the Moog.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My ball joints are fine at 112k, but my front control arm bushings are shot. My rear control arms were replaced with currie's johnny joint arms long ago so they are fine. I will be replacing the fronts with currie arms very soon.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So I am running about 152k on my Rubi right now.

What is the life expectancy of the control arm bushings and ball joints of a TJ?

I got a good discount at Oriely's for a few more weeks and was wondering if I should buy them now while I have the discount going.

So what is the verdict? buy em now or wait until they fail?
1) You do know that king pins and ball joints is two different aminals, right?
2) Theoretically, they're lifetime parts. In practise, they last until they fail. (How long is that? Your guess is as good as mine - too many variables.)
2a) EPDM bushings seem to be about 150kmiles or so, give or take. Again, plenty of variables.
3) You can keep spares on hand if you think you need to, but do you really need to? (Most of the "spare parts" I tend to keep around are just maintenance items - tune-up parts, brake friction, and the like.)
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

by moog. my 01 tj has 85000 on it and the ball joints have been changed at least 3 times since i bought it in 05 with 43000 on it. the last time i changed them i went with moog and they are still great after about 5 years of my abusive driving and rock crawling. i learned this lesson the hard way with wheel bearings (i use timken now) and clutches (centerforce now). so whatever you do, dont buy questionable parts no matter what the discount because you will be changing them next year again.
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
owen3544

The factory ones should be good for 150k-200k miles. Moog is the cheapest parts you will want to replace them with but timken and spicer are what I would go with.
2000 2.5L 5 speed, 8.8/HPD30 with chromos and spartan locker, 4.88s, UCF UHC t case skid, full Currie adjustable arms with jj, Currie antirock, Currie steering, 4" RC Springs, 1.5"BL, RE front/rear trac bars, SYE/CV, 35" MTZ's
owen3544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.