Lets have a pow wow! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lets have a pow wow!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

View Poll Results: Which Jeep?
TJ Wrangler 17 68.00%
XJ Cherokee 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lets have a pow wow!

I am currently in a dilemma, I Just got rid of my Project God "XJ" which was rather a bit to radical for Daily Driving duties. I traded for a TJ which is perfect in every aspect of daily driving and slight wheeling. With that said, I simply dont have enough room in the TJ for my whole gang "Wife, Son, and Dog" plus our gear. Which is a compromise we knew that we got into from the get go, I am here asking to an in depth discussion of the pros/cons of both the XJ and TJ. The reason this has been brought up is because I have an opportunity to get back into an XJ with a well built XJ that is Daily Driver worthy, but I am trying to make the best overall decision for the long run.

Lets keep the fanboy mentality to a minimum please guys, lets have a legitimate comparison and recommendations for my situation.

TJ Wrangler
Pros:
*Topless/Doorless
*Amazing turning radius
*Tons of aftermarket support
*Frame
Cons:
**Lack of Room**
**Everyone has one
**I dont like the rear coils much...

XJ Cherokee
Pros:
*TONS of room
*I have allot more experience with XJs
*Plus I like the look
Cons:
**No resale value
**Harder to find parts
**Unibody

With these pros/cons listed in my quick brainstorming, I figured I would post 2 photos of each Jeeps to help my case.

97 XJ Cherokee

02 TJ Wrangler

Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Buy an LJ. Problem solved
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wife would shoot me if I spent any more money on Jeeps, plus we I have been without a Jeep Payment for almost 6 years!
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both. I like both for their own reasons. If your looking at auto's then you have to give it up to the XJ with the aw4. If you wan't to keep it forever and take it offroad you have to give it to the TJ since it has a frame (as long as it's not rusted that is). The TJ also takes the prize for it's resale value. It sounds like you really need an XJ for your current situation.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntempest View Post
I've had both. I like both for their own reasons. If your looking at auto's then you have to give it up to the XJ with the aw4. If you wan't to keep it forever and take it offroad you have to give it to the TJ since it has a frame (as long as it's not rusted that is). The TJ also takes the prize for it's resale value. It sounds like you really need an XJ for your current situation.
Yup, I have had nothing but XJs the last few years! We have been wanting a TJ for awhile now, but there just isnt enough room. All of our XJs have been Auto and over the top built "tons, hydro, big tires etc". I am now starting to back out of the more aggressive side of offroading and move towards DD/Once in a blue moon wheeling trips.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Plus xj's are lighter. If I needed the extra seats I could see myself in an XJ
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a cargo cage up top and be happy with a tj
Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're already regretting the TJ, it's not the vehicle for you. XJ.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude408
Get a cargo cage up top and be happy with a tj
^This. Or get a small expedition trailer.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure how you think everyone has a TJ and its hard to find XJ parts. There's 5 times as many XJs as there was TJs. You can't swing a dead cat in a junkyard without hitting one.
If you want more room and less aggressive wheeling the answer is pretty obvious.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce
You can't swing a dead cat in a junkyard without hitting one.
I laughed way too hard at this.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
Not sure how you think everyone has a TJ and its hard to find XJ parts. There's 5 times as many XJs as there was TJs. You can't swing a dead cat in a junkyard without hitting one.
If you want more room and less aggressive wheeling the answer is pretty obvious.

Every junkyard I go to the XJs have been completely picked apart. Any part store you go to and search for a part on a TJ 9/10 they will have it about 50/50 for XJ parts. I wouldnt consider and XJ to be for less aggressive wheeling, if anything they perform better with the longer wheel base "if built correctly" I am not apart of the OOO XJ better or TJ better fan boy club. I have had quite a few XJs and all have ended up on tons, linked, locked and blah blah blah. Comparing stock TJ to a stock XJ I would say the TJ out performs the XJs without a doubt.

I have no regrets about getting this TJ, I was just presented an opportunity to get back in XJs trying to weigh my options and use the community so I dont make another impulse decision and get put in the Dog House.

my last XJ...

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
wakeboarderNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My first vehicle was a 2000 XJ. I LOVED it. I put so much of my own money (coming from a 16 year old at a sub shop) only to total it away in a rollover.

But now I have a 98 TJ. I LOVE it too. The only downfall of a TJ really is the storage. With my XJ, I didn't have to really worry about not fitting my stuff.
And With the TJ, I drive my friends around a lot, so taking the rear seat out isn't really an option, and I don't like the way cargo racks look over the soft top.

All in all, they are both great vehicles, with their own pro's and con's.

And yes, you can't swing a dead cat in a junkyard without hitting an XJ
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Cavasar
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both 4.0? I'm a TJ guy myself. You are an XJ guy, might as well sell the TJ since you'd get more for that than an XJ and spend some of that extra cash on your XJ.
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
wakeboarderNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
Both 4.0? .
Yeah they were both 4.0's, but my XJ had an automatic in it.
That and its kinda hard to take the roof off a unibody and still be road worthy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.