let's go over this one more time ... recommend gears for my 35" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > let's go over this one more time ... recommend gears for my 35" tires

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

let's go over this one more time ... recommend gears for my 35" tires

I know this question has been answered a bunch of times but I really want some direct answers.

I am moving from AZ (no freeway driving - all city) to CA (will be all freeway driving) and using the jeep as a DD. I had originally thought about getting another vehicle and using that as my DD (but I plan on proposing to the GF in the near future and would rather use that money to buy her a nicer ring).

So I need gears - I've been putting it off because around town the 4.10s have been ok and wheeling they've been bearable.

For the best FREEWAY performance do I go with 4.88's or 5.13's - see profile or signature below for specs (and it's the 4 speed auto)? Is the weight/length of the unlimited worth going to 5.13's? I'm going to be traveling about 60 miles a day on the freeway and I know that whichever I get will outperform the 4.10's wheeling. It's all about highway speed and fuel economy (all 14 mpg or so of it )

I am confused 'cause the chart says my best fuel economy is coming from the 4.10s when on 35's (part of the reason I stuck with them for now) - I find this hard to believe that this holds true when going 65-70 down the freeway.

Please help - if you're going to flame me about doing a search please don't respond. I have read plenty just want the reassurance because I can only afford one shot at this and I'll be driving my jeep from AZ to start the new job in CA in two weeks. Thanks!

'81 cj-5 - being restored w/ dad - keeping the 151
orange_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have 4.88s with my 35s and 42rle, I think they are fine. But, I have never driven one with 5.13s. Your performance should be closer to stock with 5.13s, but you may see slightly better fuel ecomony with 4.88s. If I had a Dana 44 front axle I certainly would have gone with 5.13s, but I have other vehicles and was more concerned with trail performance. I have driven my Jeep from upstate NC to Charleston SC with the 35s and 4.88s and it did fine. My mileage is around 13, where stock was 17. Then again, I never gave fuel ecomony a single though while I was building it and don't really care now...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_rubi View Post
I know this question has been answered a bunch of times but I really want some direct answers.

I am moving from AZ (no freeway driving - all city) to CA (will be all freeway driving) and using the jeep as a DD. I had originally thought about getting another vehicle and using that as my DD (but I plan on proposing to the GF in the near future and would rather use that money to buy her a nicer ring).

So I need gears - I've been putting it off because around town the 4.10s have been ok and wheeling they've been bearable.

For the best FREEWAY performance do I go with 4.88's or 5.13's - see profile or signature below for specs (and it's the 4 speed auto)? Is the weight/length of the unlimited worth going to 5.13's? I'm going to be traveling about 60 miles a day on the freeway and I know that whichever I get will outperform the 4.10's wheeling. It's all about highway speed and fuel economy (all 14 mpg or so of it )

I am confused 'cause the chart says my best fuel economy is coming from the 4.10s when on 35's (part of the reason I stuck with them for now) - I find this hard to believe that this holds true when going 65-70 down the freeway.

Please help - if you're going to flame me about doing a search please don't respond. I have read plenty just want the reassurance because I can only afford one shot at this and I'll be driving my jeep from AZ to start the new job in CA in two weeks. Thanks!
Such charts are very misleading in that they only give the RPM for when your transmission is in its 1.0:1 ratio. That means if you have a 5-speed manual transmission, those rpms represent what you would see while driving around in 4th gear.

With your 4-speed automatic transmission, those RPMs would only be seen when the overdrive is turned off.

With your 42RLE 4-speed automatic, not even 4.88 is low enough, 5.38 is actually the right choice for 35" tires. I am running 35" tires with the same transmission you have and have 4.88 gears that the previous owner installed. My engine lugs and I keep having to turn the overdrive off. If I had the $$$, I would regear my Rubicon to 5.38.

Since you are driving an Unlimited and not a Rubicon, your front axle is a Dana 30 and the lowest ratio that can be installed into it is 4.88. Don't even THINK about anything but 4.88 with your particular transmission. You would hate 4.10 or 4.56.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
wpparker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know someone with a 05 rubi. running 35's and 5.13 gears and loves them. His wife drives it 80 miles to the next town at 70mph with no problem. It does not tach any more rpm's than my 3-speed auto with 33's and 4.56.
wpparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
IYour performance should be closer to stock with 5.13s, but you may see slightly better fuel ecomony with 4.88s. If I had a Dana 44 front axle I certainly would have gone with 5.13s ...
NotURMailman: Good to note - so that's one vote for 5.13's. I would like to get it closer to stock - remember driving it on the freeway stock and was surprised how "smooth" it ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Such charts are very misleading in that they only give the RPM for when your transmission is in its 1.0:1 ratio. That means if you have a 5-speed manual transmission, those rpms represent what you would see while driving around in 4th gear.

With your 4-speed automatic transmission, those RPMs would only be seen when the overdrive is turned off.

With your 42RLE 4-speed automatic, not even 4.88 is low enough, 5.38 is actually the right choice for 35" tires. I am running 35" tires with the same transmission you have and have 4.88 gears that the previous owner installed. My engine lugs and I keep having to turn the overdrive off. If I had the $$$, I would regear my Rubicon to 5.38.

Since you are driving an Unlimited and not a Rubicon, your front axle is a Dana 30 and the lowest ratio that can be installed into it is 4.88. Don't even THINK about anything but 4.88 with your particular transmission. You would hate 4.10 or 4.56.
Jerry: I actually do have a Rubicon Unlimited so I have dana 44's f/r - so you are saying go higher than 4.88's - 5.13's or 5.38's (what about 5.29's?). Always value your assistance/insight! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpparker View Post
I know someone with a 05 rubi. running 35's and 5.13 gears and loves them. His wife drives it 80 miles to the next town at 70mph with no problem. It does not tach any more rpm's than my 3-speed auto with 33's and 4.56.
wpparker: Thanks. So far it's sounding like I might be happier with 5.13's as opposed to the 4.88's - glad I asked!

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry: I actually do have a Rubicon Unlimited so I have dana 44's f/r - so you are saying go higher than 4.88's - 5.13's or 5.38's ?
Acutally he's saying go LOWER!
Sorry!

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry: I actually do have a Rubicon Unlimited so I have dana 44's f/r - so you are saying go higher than 4.88's - 5.13's or 5.38's (what about 5.29's?). Always value your assistance/insight! Thank you!
Yep sorry about that, I should have noticed that simply by your name.

Technically, 4.88 is a lower ratio than 4.10 is. 5.13 would be better but I would go to 5.38. You are fortunate that you have a Rubicon and can go with a lower ratio than 4.88 which just isn't low enough of a ratio for 35" tires when you have the 4-speed automatic.

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is also a great tool to help you decide: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Last edited by 97tjeff; 08-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: linky no worky.
97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As has already been mentioned, that chart is giving you the 1:1 RPM's (your 3rd gear). Multiply the RPM's by .69 (your OD ratio) and you'll get RPM's in OD. Due to your overly tall OD, you need to gear lower than the rest of us. Go 5.13. I didn't think Rubi axles could be geared to 5.38 with the stock carriers....but I could be wrong. If they can, go that route. The thing will feel like a rocket with 5.38's and you'll never be lugging the engine.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Acutally he's saying go LOWER!
Sorry!

RJ
my bad - I didn't proofread

ok so 5.13's as HIGH as I want to go but if I can go LOWER - I will ... read it twice before I posted to make sure I got it right

Thanks guys!

Unread 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
telkinsjr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running 35s with the 4.88s (42rle) and I can tell you I wish I had more on the trails. On some of the longer, smooth hill climbs at our local park it just seems to run out of gear. Highway-wise it gives out around 70 MPH. 4.88s are easier to live with than the sock 3.73s, but I should have saved money for a new front axle and gone bigger.
04 LJ: 4.0, auto, 4.88s, Aussie Locker front, Trac-loc rear, 3" BDS lift, Rock Krawler HD steering, 1" BL, 35" KM2s, MCE Flattie Fenders, Olympic A/T Slider front and rear bumpers, A/T rock rails, XRC8 winch, onboard CO2, Hummer-style intake, Hi-lift, HighRock tire carrier, CB, Bluetooth, Monstaliner
telkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Correct 5.13's are the lowest you can go without changing the carrier. 5.38s would be the best for the 35s in this case. 5.13s are starting to pop up on 4 speed auto Jeeps with 33s alot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

With the Rubi, the lowest you can go (highest numerically) and keep your factory air lockers is 5.13. Since you have the Rubi, do yourself a favor and skip the 4.88's; go right up to 5.13's.

As soon as I can afford a new front axle, I'll be going to 5.38's with my 35's. The current 4.88's, like Jerry said, are just too high with the 42RLE.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wasn't aware the Rubi's locker case couldn't take 5.38 gearing and that 5.13 was as low as can be installed onto it. I wonder if that could possibly be accomplished with a "fat" 5.38 R&P gear set.

Unread 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

all great info and just to update all those who posted (and i thank you for your responses) ... i still have not decided. :

so 5.13s are the general consensus from jf (although I did a search back and noticed that not more than 2 years ago many people were saying that 4.88s were the way to go ... so that has me confused). i've got another group of people that live in la telling me that 4.88s will be better if it's my dd (especially since now mileage will be split more along the lines of 90% dd and 10% offroad as opposed to the 70-30 it is now). i have a guy at one shop saying 4.88s because the pinion head on the 5.13s is smaller and actually making less contact with the ring thereby increasing my chance of chipping a tooth. my main guy who i go to for all advice and helped install my la kit (and a well respected individual of some hard-core offroad vehicles) is saying 5.13s but that's because he's looking at more on the trail aspect. it's currently 6-to-one and half-a-dozen-to-the-other.

i'm honestly not indecisive - i just do a lot of research and gather as many opinions as possible before i jump into anything. i'll keep you all posted and in the meantime if anyone has anything else to add please feel free.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.