Lesson Learned - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lesson Learned

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Grubbi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lesson Learned

I was changing the u-joints on the front axle of my TJ tonight and was using a u-joint/ball joint press to push them in and out (great tool by the way, if you don't have one they are worth the $30-$40 they cost at Harbor Freight). I was a hair from having the last cap in far enough to put the clip in and just couldn't muster the strength to get it in any farther, so I said screw it and picked up the impact and gave it a quick shot. It moved just enough and I put the clip in and turned the impact to reverse and backed the press off, as I did that the end of the opposite cap went shooting off. Not the whole cap mind you, just the flat edge where it broke off the cap.

Moral of the story: NEVER USE AN IMPACT WRENCH ON A U-JOINT PRESS!

Looks like I'm definitely riding the motorcycle to work tomorrow!

I have another u-joint but it's for the other side which I actually think is bad (that's the part that really bites my ***, the u-joint I was replacing wasn't even bad. I pulled it apart and it looked OK, but thought I may as well go ahead and replace it because I don't know how old they are.). I'll stop tomorrow and pick up another one and see if I can get it back together.

Terrain Stompers Jeep Club Cincinnati, Ohio
Grubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

haha funny story. too bad though. I did work on mine tonight and now it wont start I will also be riding the motorcycle to work in the rain good luck!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbi View Post
I was a hair from having the last cap in far enough to put the clip in and just couldn't muster the strength to get it in any farther, so I said screw it and picked up the impact and gave it a quick shot. It moved just enough and I put the clip in and turned the impact to reverse and backed the press off, as I did that the end of the opposite cap went shooting off. Not the whole cap mind you, just the flat edge where it broke off the cap.
It's not uncommon for one of the needle bearings to fall down into the cap and thus prevent the cap from fully seating. Keep cranking and it blows out. Of course, I've never done that. Next time you meet with that kind of resistance, pull it apart and see if a needle bearing is out of position.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Grubbi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
It's not uncommon for one of the needle bearings to fall down into the cap and thus prevent the cap from fully seating. Keep cranking and it blows out. Of course, I've never done that. Next time you meet with that kind of resistance, pull it apart and see if a needle bearing is out of position.
Stu, a friend in my Jeep club suggested the same thing so I checked and all the needle bearings were in their correct position. Not sure why it broke, but the second Spicer I bought at the same time did the same thing tonight!!!
I bought a heavy duty Precision u-joint from Napa today to replace the broken Spicer and changed it with the help of a friend with no problem. Then we went to the other side and took it apart, and it was going together real easy till the same thing: trying to get the last clip in and POP! the opposite end cap broke.
Two broken Spicer 760 u-joints in two days during installation, needless to say I'm not impressed with their product. Definitely not worth the trouble I went through to order them from a national supplier since I couldn't find a place to buy them locally.
The Precision u-joint I bought at Napa looked better than the Spicer anyway.
Terrain Stompers Jeep Club Cincinnati, Ohio
Grubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did the same thing on my TW drive shaft. Several times no less. I kept checking to see if a needle dropped and it didn't. After several u-joints breaking, I pulled out my calipers to check dimensions and found the H casting on the CV joint was smaller on one side than the other!. I think that Tom Woods must have "tweaked" the u-joints to fit because I couldn't get it to work on that H casting. I had another drive shaft laying around that I stole the H piece from and that worked. But that was one frustrating u-joint install.

You might want to check the yoke dimension to see if it is slightly smaller than it supposed to be.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.