Lesson Learned - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lesson Learned

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 09-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Loose Screws
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lesson Learned

About a week ago, I mail ordered 4qts of Redline MTL $40, and got around to changing the oil yesterday. The gears seemed to be a little notchy...I was confused b/c I had read so many good things about the MTL fuild. So back to the computer for a quick search and realize I have the NV3550 and not the AX-15. So this morning I go pick up the MoPar fuild (same price as the MTL) and quickly swapped the fuilds.

End result, the trany now shifts much smoother without the notchy shifts I had experienced with the MTL.

The lesson learned...get the Spec Sheet from DC...don't assume anything.

btw, I did read a post by someone saying the MTL could be used in the NV3550 tranys...I would say it is pretty obvious that it will not work.

Unread 09-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Can I look up the specs to my vehicle on line or do I need to go to a dealer? We do not have a DC dealer in my town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm

Good info there. Read the stuff below the table...
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Loose Screws
2000 TJ Wrangler 

"Can I look up the specs to my vehicle on line or do I need to go to a dealer? We do not have a DC dealer in my town."

You need to use the "contact us" link on the DC website. Give them your VIN and they will send you a spec sheet on your Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm

Good info there. Read the stuff below the table...

Great site and the reason I went with RedLine MTL. After reading that site I thought there were only the ax-5 or the ax-15 (4 cyl or 6cyl). Since I have a 6cyl I ASSumed the trany was the AX-15. I did not even know about the NV3550 until I received the spec sheet from DC.
Unread 09-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can not recall reading any threads or sites where MTL was recommended for a NV3550.

MT-90 is almost always recommended for AX-15 and AX-5 units. I personally use MT-90, MTL or a mix of both in my AX-15.

That being said, it sounds as though your refill with the correct fluid solved the temporary problem you experienced.

And as I've said before, even DC is not always correct. If you follow the info in the early years TJ owner manual, you will be using GL-5 fluid in your manual tranny....and that is NOT what is required. At least they got it right in the FSM.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Loose Screws
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=nv3550

There's the post about MTL in theNV3550...not hardly worth the read.

Thanks for the website Stu! I was a little lost on the type of trany I had...all is much better now,
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad I could help point you in a good direction. There are several sites that are EXCELLENT for working on your TJ - Stu's is one of them.

Others include:
www.4x4xplor.com
www.4x4icon.com
www.stu-offroad.com (LOTS of stuff on there)

I would bookmark each of these sites. You WILL use them repeatedly.
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Loose Screws
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Paul, what part of N. AL are you from?
I am from Florence...
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen a few posts recommending MTL in the NV3550, mostly be people regurgitating bad information.

The ONLY recommended fluids for the NV3500 are the Mopar stuff, Penzoil Synchomesh (same thing as the Mopar, lots cheaper), and supposedly Royal Purple Synchomax (don't know anyone who runs it though...). Supposedly Red Line is working on something to be compatible.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Huntsville

hehe that IS 10 characters, but I'll add this too.
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 09-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
btolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
Glad I could help point you in a good direction. There are several sites that are EXCELLENT for working on your TJ - Stu's is one of them.

Others include:
www.4x4xplor.com
www.4x4icon.com
www.stu-offroad.com (LOTS of stuff on there)

I would bookmark each of these sites. You WILL use them repeatedly.
It would really help people like Stu if you would PayPal those who own the sites a few $$$ to help maintain the sites. I sent Stu $25 recently because I have gotten more from his site than I could have ever have learned from a $25 "fix-it-manual" I could buy. All 3 of the above do an excellent job of documenting real world mods and problems. They have put a lot of effort into building their sites and deserve our support.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
Grimmjpr

I run the Royal Purple Syncromax in my NV3550....works great. Can't say if it is better then the DC stuff but i was able to get it without a trip to the dealer and the RP was only 6.80 a quart. I run the RP Max Gear in my axles as well....
Grimmjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.