less tire PSI = less death wobble?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > less tire PSI = less death wobble??

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
BradMB2004

less tire PSI = less death wobble??

I'm trying to nurse my bald tires for a few more weeks. I could not go over 40 mph before because of DW, i dropped the PSI to 20 and it makes it driveable... Anyone else experienced this???

1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I personaly belive that what people are calling death wobble from unbalanced tires is nothing like the actual death wobble experienced when your trac bar is loose.
When you get real death wobble it is scary, you have to come to a complete stop to get it to go away as it progressivly gets worse. It will rip the steering wheel out of your hand and shake very very violently.
VegasJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
BradMB2004

Yes i agree, this is actual "tire hopping off the ground" death wobble... I have a new... tight... track bar, and yes, the tires are WAY out of balance, they are on the wear bars so nobody will balance them.
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMB2004
Yes i agree, this is actual "tire hopping off the ground" death wobble... I have a new... tight... track bar, and yes, the tires are WAY out of balance, they are on the wear bars so nobody will balance them.
Wow, an 04 with bald tires and death wobble?
Unread 07-11-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
crawldit
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes but be careful now that it's summertime. The lower the tire pressure the faster the carcass will heat up and the more likely you are for a tire to separate. Personally, I'd deflate the tires, break the bead and put like 10 oz of BB's in each tire. The BB's will work as a balancer and you'll be able to run the proper PSI on the road till you can get some new rubber.
crawldit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I too have issues with death wobble, I just put a new leveling kit on the front, and the death wobble came back. I got it aligned at Pep Boys and they said I have a bend spindle and it is impossible to do a proper alignment. They said they got it as close as possible and I only got the death wobble at 45mph when I would hit an uneven bump in the road. I don’t want to pay mucho $$$ to fix the Dana 30 since I plan on getting G2 44s front and rear. I lowered the psi in all four tires to 32 instead of the 36 that was in them and it helped a lot.
DAMRON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.