LED Turn Signal Installation - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED Turn Signal Installation

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

In base anyone finds this later here is what I did. The two wire side marker must have a chassis ground because the wires are the same as the running and blinker to the front. So to get blinking side markers also you just need to to the same two to three wire conversion with the diodes and resisters just use the front lights ground wires. Since my lights were being mounted so close to each other I just soldered them all together and it works fine.

snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally some who can solder right and shrinkwrap!!!..................................... ..... You woulndt believe how many people use black tape or worse duct tape!!!
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #33
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver97tj
Finally some who can solder right and shrinkwrap!!!..................................... ..... You woulndt believe how many people use black tape or worse duct tape!!!
Still used electrical tape for some joints. I didn't have the right size shrink wrap and wanted to be done. Or soldered the joint and realized I shade for gifted to put it on first. Oh well
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Eddie13f
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I am looking for some confirmation. If I am converting to all LEDs (all 4 corners of the TJ), how must I wire the front in order to have sidemarkers and turn signals work like stock. My thought process has lead me to believe that I will do the following:

Convert the turn signals (2 inch round 2 wire LED) to a 3 wire using 2 diodes and a resistor, connect directly into the 3 wire turn signal harness (stock)

Convert the side marker (3/4" round 2 wire LED) to a 3 wire using 2 diodes and a resistor, connect the 2 lives wires (stock 2 wire side marker wiring) to the two diode links and then ground the LED to the frame.

Will this give me stock results where the lights will work with the headlights on/parking lights on/ all lights off?

Thanks!
2013-02-27_20-59-31_713.jpg  
Eddie13f is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Eddie, The two to three wire conversion on the side marker will mean it lights dull when the lights come on,
and flashes bright at the same time as the front lamp whether the lights are on or not.
You will loose the wig-wag effect when the lights are on as the side marker will light up brighter instead of going out.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Eddie13f
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So basically, doing the 2 to 3 wire conversion on the side markers AS WELL AS the front signals will allow all 4 LEDs up front to work as a turn signal regardless of whether or not the parking lights/headlights are on? I understand that the side markers will be 1/2 as dim as parking lights then get fully bright when I have the turn signal on. But is grounding the side marker to a frame ground or common ground the proper move?
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #37
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie13f View Post
So basically, doing the 2 to 3 wire conversion on the side markers AS WELL AS the front signals
will allow all 4 LEDs up front to work as a turn signal regardless of whether or not the parking lights/headlights are on?
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie13f View Post
I understand that the side markers will be 1/2 as dim as parking lights then get fully bright when I have the turn signal on.
But is grounding the side marker to a frame ground or common ground the proper move?
Tap the ground wire going to the front turn/markers for the side LEDs.
That way they'll ground through the loom to the ground points on the rear of the grill near each headlamp.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
Eddie13f
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That makes sense. Thanks so much for your input. Couldn't I also run wires from the front turn signal (between the LED and the diodes/resistor) to the side marker? That way I wouldn't use the stock side marker wires at all and would onlt need a total of 4 diodes and 2 resistors?
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #39
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could run the wires from between the front lamp and diodes/resistor. I presume it would be OK and it would reduce the amount of joins in the wiring
compared to having two sets of diodes/resistor on each side of the Jeep.

I have a bundle of wire links with croc clips so I'd be tempted to wire it up off the vehicle and test it to see if seems OK, before soldering and heatshrinking it all up.

Unread 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
drivengsxr1000
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerjeep View Post
the ep26 flasher you mentioned, is this the same one that is located inside the steering column in a 02 tj?
same question here looking for the relay now and can not find it
drivengsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #41
Arctycfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivengsxr1000 View Post
same question here looking for the relay now and can not find it
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....0#.UfcBOeD-NaN
Arctycfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #42
Arctycfox

Ok, so 2006 LJ. My front right, forward facing parking light/turn signal went out. I bought some 3/4" LED turn signals, and am going to install them below the headlights, reminescent of the ol' CJ's. Problem I'm having is how to wire the 2-wire LED's to do as the side/flair mounted lights work (ie: stay on during parking lights and flash during a turn). Once the forward facing bulb is blown, the flair light only fast flashes during turns, but will not stay on when not. I am going to order the flasher relay from GenRight, but still need to wire them in the mean time.

It's looking like Diodes are what other people have tried, but I don't see how it will work.......

seems like one side of the diode pack will supply 12v when p-lights are on, and the other side will supply 12v when the turn siganls flash. but if voltage is always present on at least one wire the LED will stay on, and not flash....

And why does the side marker light no longer work at all? Does a wire need to "pass through" the forward facing light?
Arctycfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #43
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbbh View Post
Sorry for replying to an old post but I want to know where you got your amber signal lights. I have the same tube fender setup and I really like the way these triangle shaped lights fit the bumper.
D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #44
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
Sorry for replying to an old post but I want to know where you got your amber signal lights. I have the same tube fender setup and I really like the way these triangle shaped lights fit the bumper.
A friend of mine has something similar on his sport bike. I'm not sure if they're the same but it's a possible place to start.

Edit: Is this it?
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/L...MBER-LENS.html
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #45
Salgreatest9
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300930352319

i bought these? theirs only two wires. Would I still have to do the same process ? with the diodes and transistor?
Salgreatest9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
led , turn signal , write up , write-up , installation , install , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.