LED light pod problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED light pod problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

LED light pod problem

I bought a Vision LED light POD as a backup light for my Jeep.

This one: http://visionxsuperstore.com/Solstic...XIL-S1103.aspx

I did a test connection to my factory purple backup wire and all worked fine. I just connected the wires with some test wires with alligator clips (the pod not mounted to the Jeep).

I then mounted the LED pod and wired it in for good. I then started up the Jeep and tested again, but the LED pod didn't work. I then cut the wires at my first splice and used the alligator clip wires to perform the test again, this time with the pod mounted to the Jeep. I then noticed arcing when I tried to connect the positive wire and the LED pod would not come on. I then removed the pod from the Jeeps bumper and tested again. This time no arch and the pod worked fine.

Why would this happen simply because the pod is grounded to the Jeep? The housing of the pod is aluminum and I know it's somehow not working just because it comes in contact with the Jeeps body. It seems like if I had some sort of positive shorting to the Jeeps body I would have other issues (like blown fuses) and not just problems with the LED lights. Could it be a short between the LED pods case and the positive wire in the pod itself?

The only mods to my Jeep are rear LED tail lights (done by the PO) and a no-splice trailer light harness (I installed this myself.... just plug to the factory wiring harness). The LED lights are also installed correctly... the PO wired in factory light harness connectors to the LED's and didn't cut any of the factory wiring.

mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

My guess if the housing is aluminum when it touches any metal on the jeep it grounds through the housing, which is going to be the path of least resistance and bypass the light to complete the circuit, therefore not blowing any fuses and shorting.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I found the problem. It's the LED pod. I went back to my direct connection test and noticed that if you touch the ground to the case you get a short. I simply used my trailer light harness for the test. I made a video of the problem and will link to it after it uploads. I am going to call Vision tomorrow and see how good they are about shipping me a new LED pod. These things are expensive enough, so I hope they stand behind their products.

What sucks is that I wasted a ton of time just to fine a stupid defective part that I just spent good money on!!!!!
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the test video:

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like an internal short.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.