LED / Incandescent Hybrid... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED / Incandescent Hybrid...

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

LED / Incandescent Hybrid...

I'm the first to admit that I'm not that smart, so I have to ask...

Is there anything wrong with replacing / adding LED mini lights to the existing incandescent lighting on my Jeep?? I'm not trying to replace the whole setup...just add some mini LED turn signals / side markers now that I've added Metalcloak fenders
Will I get the million flash-per-second rate that results from doing a LED swap without replacing the stock relay? Do I need to add a relay? Or replace the stock relay with one from Genright, or Savvy or somebody??

Before I catch a mountain of crap about using the search function - I did... I found nothing about just adding lights (or maybe clipping out the stock side markers and replacing with LEDs).

TIA to all of you smarter than I guys out there. I appreciate all of the help that I can get

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with it. Its pretty darn common. Yes, you will need a flasher. EP-26 is cheap and works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Nothing wrong with it. Its pretty darn common. Yes, you will need a flasher. EP-26 is cheap and works fine.
Thats the part number that I keep seeing in other threads...is it necessary if only tying into the existing circuit...ie adding the LEDs vice replacing all the lights with LEDs??

Seems like the different relay is only needed if there is a significant drop in resistance. I would think that I won't have that if I retain stock incandescent bulbs in the front position markers...

Not trying to sound like a (insert insult here), just trying to understand, and learn a little...

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
Thats the part number that I keep seeing in other threads...is it necessary if only tying into the existing circuit...ie adding the LEDs vice replacing all the lights with LEDs??

Seems like the different relay is only needed if there is a significant drop in resistance. I would think that I won't have that if I retain stock incandescent bulbs in the front position markers...

Not trying to sound like a (insert insult here), just trying to understand, and learn a little...
You can try it, but the whole point of the circuit is to detect burnt out bulbs from a drop in resistance. Taking two bulbs out of the circuit is most certainly going to trigger the fast blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.