LED / Incandescent Hybrid... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED / Incandescent Hybrid...

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ
 
h1driver's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 508
LED / Incandescent Hybrid...

I'm the first to admit that I'm not that smart, so I have to ask...

Is there anything wrong with replacing / adding LED mini lights to the existing incandescent lighting on my Jeep?? I'm not trying to replace the whole setup...just add some mini LED turn signals / side markers now that I've added Metalcloak fenders
Will I get the million flash-per-second rate that results from doing a LED swap without replacing the stock relay? Do I need to add a relay? Or replace the stock relay with one from Genright, or Savvy or somebody??

Before I catch a mountain of crap about using the search function - I did... I found nothing about just adding lights (or maybe clipping out the stock side markers and replacing with LEDs).

TIA to all of you smarter than I guys out there. I appreciate all of the help that I can get

__________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,446
Nothing wrong with it. Its pretty darn common. Yes, you will need a flasher. EP-26 is cheap and works fine.
__________________
The Yellowtail Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ
 
h1driver's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Nothing wrong with it. Its pretty darn common. Yes, you will need a flasher. EP-26 is cheap and works fine.
Thats the part number that I keep seeing in other threads...is it necessary if only tying into the existing circuit...ie adding the LEDs vice replacing all the lights with LEDs??

Seems like the different relay is only needed if there is a significant drop in resistance. I would think that I won't have that if I retain stock incandescent bulbs in the front position markers...

Not trying to sound like a (insert insult here), just trying to understand, and learn a little...
__________________
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
Thats the part number that I keep seeing in other threads...is it necessary if only tying into the existing circuit...ie adding the LEDs vice replacing all the lights with LEDs??

Seems like the different relay is only needed if there is a significant drop in resistance. I would think that I won't have that if I retain stock incandescent bulbs in the front position markers...

Not trying to sound like a (insert insult here), just trying to understand, and learn a little...
You can try it, but the whole point of the circuit is to detect burnt out bulbs from a drop in resistance. Taking two bulbs out of the circuit is most certainly going to trigger the fast blink.
__________________
The Yellowtail Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.