Learned a lesson the HARD WAY regarding backspacing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Learned a lesson the HARD WAY regarding backspacing

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What happened Boogie?....

'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just trim the upper coil perch off with a grinder? Ive done this on the last 3 TJs ive owned. I also ran 33x12.50 on stock ravines with no issues. Trimming the perch has no neg effects, and the tires dont rub at all.
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't use a grinder when you could use Plasma!....

'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Glad to hear the tire shop helped you out, they are right the guy putting the tires on should have picked up on that. They are the experts afterall and are being paid to make sure the tires/rims get mounted, installed and balanced correctly IMO.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
D3f4ult
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the same rims as the OP. If I trim the rear perch and adjust the steer stops what are the other neg. affects of a 12.5 tire?
D3f4ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastUnlmtd View Post
From way back with CJs we always tried to stay narrow. I found some used rims and tires, they are way outset IDK the inches. They looked silly to me when I first mounted them up. After the recent mods first flexxing out the Jeep I realized how nice it was at full droop to have the extra width, the tire tucked in perfect and kept better footing. Plus the steering etc. advantages.
The place to stay narrow is in the tires. There is little to no advantage to a 33" tire being 12.5" wide versus 10.5" wide (or even 10" if you get one of the metric equivalents. Maybe if your wheeling is done almost exclusively on sugar sand, you might want wide beadlocks with wide tires aired down low. Otherwise you just end up with more unsprung mass, more rolling resistance, more highway noise, more steering effort, more tracking issues, even poorer fuel mileage, etc.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
ForumKing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
The place to stay narrow is in the tires. There is little to no advantage to a 33" tire being 12.5" wide versus 10.5" wide (or even 10" if you get one of the metric equivalents. Maybe if your wheeling is done almost exclusively on sugar sand, you might want wide beadlocks with wide tires aired down low. Otherwise you just end up with more unsprung mass, more rolling resistance, more highway noise, more steering effort, more tracking issues, even poorer fuel mileage, etc.
Isn't the advantage of running a 12.5 instead of a 10.5 occur when using it as a DD? I thought I read somewhere that running a wider tire helps reduce the wear on a tire.
ForumKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #23
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenya View Post
What happened Boogie?....
Your avatar scared me away.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #24
TotallyScrewed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A wider tire = wider footprint which is the contact with the road under all conditions, not just when aired down. Its always a balance of trade-offs.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your avatar scared me away.
If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black........
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
NEastUnlmtd
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The advantage of riding a narrow Jeep here with plentiful trails, ATV and the like is maneuverability. After seeing my outset rims stuff and droop and land in a nice place I am sold on a wider track.
NEastUnlmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While we're on the topic of backspacing...a friend of mine just gave me a pair of SpiderTrax wheel spacers (1.25"). I also just picked up some new rims (15x8 with 3.75" backspacing). I will be running these with 33x12.50 tires.

My friend seems to think I should leave the wheels spacers ON with the new rims - which would give me about 2.5" backspacing. This seems like too little - but I really don't know why or what the real safety dangers are. What say you?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You absolutely do not need to keep those spacers on there. Just go with the wheels directly to the wheel mounting surface of your axles. There's no advantage to using both (unless maybe aesthetically, though I wouldn't personally agree with that). Using both will only increase the stress on the components involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumKing View Post
Isn't the advantage of running a 12.5 instead of a 10.5 occur when using it as a DD?
No, it's actually the other way around.

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that running a wider tire helps reduce the wear on a tire.
Who told you that? I cannot fathom what pretzel logic lead to such a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
A wider tire = wider footprint which is the contact with the road under all conditions, not just when aired down. Its always a balance of trade-offs.
Actually the contact patch isn't bigger, only shaped differently. The contact patch is a function of vehicle weight and air pressure. If you think of a very narrow tire, the contact patch might be a blob, something like the shape of a softball. If you think of a very wide tire, the contact patch will be shaped more like a narrow oval. For driving on the road in a Jeep, the difference between a properly inflated 12.5" and 10.5" wide 33" tire on the road is minimal in terms of stopping distance, and a lifted Jeep is not a sports car: cornering characteristics of a lifted Jeep on oversized off-road tires is going to be affected so much more by so many other limitations as to render contact patch shape a moot point. And a wider contact patch is not necessarily a good thing; wider tires tend to chase imperfections in the road surface more than narrower tires, causing it to not track as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastUnlmtd View Post
The advantage of riding a narrow Jeep here with plentiful trails, ATV and the like is maneuverability. After seeing my outset rims stuff and droop and land in a nice place I am sold on a wider track.
We're not disagreeing. Like I said, my comment was exclusively about tires, not about track. In some scenarios, full-width track is very desirable or even required, while in others you wouldn't make it between the first two trees or rocks in the trail However, generally for off-roading full-width axles would be preferable to narrow-track axles like you got on the CJ5's and older CJ7's.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You absolutely do not need to keep those spacers on there. Just go with the wheels directly to the wheel mounting surface of your axles. Using both will only increase the stress on the components involved.
That's kind what I figured. Thanks!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
markgavin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, to the OP, glad you wasn't going 70 down the freeway! thanks for posting the pics though. damn scary to see what could happen with improper set-up. I like the new wheels BTW
markgavin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.