Leaky Jeep - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Leaky Jeep

So I got my jeep last summer, and the leaks have gotten progressively worse.

Leak #1-----During heavy rains, i get a ton of water in my passenger floor board. I've searched, and the main thing i find has to do with the firewall, and heat/ac. BUT with mine, during a heavy rain i can see water accumulating on the little rubber seal that sticks out where the bottom of the windshield meets the body. It seems to accumulate more if i open the door, making me think that the door has something to do with whether or not it seals good.I'm just trying to figure out if i should try and fold down the windshield and replace that whole seal, or use some sort of silicone???

Leak#2------Actually this is two leaks. During a good rain, water accumulates in the tailgate area. Now it comes in first up on the fender wells. I can see it dripping off of the area where the hardtop meets the jeep. right near the edges touching the tailgate. I'm going to assume that it's actually my vents on the hardtop leaking. I have yet to take them off. I'm just curious if anyone has ever had this problem, and if replacing those vents would stop it.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Bump, no one have any suggestions ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
post #3 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Combatsylvania

my rear glass on my tailgate leake a little in a rain or car wash,...it would puddle rigth where you are describing.. my solution was to have a beer and take a nap.

As for the winshield seal. if your positive thats where its coming in, fold it down and instpect it. its possible it was folded down at some point and some debris got in....

note that when i had a leak in the front, it was from the TOP of th windshield frame where the hardtop meets the windshield frame.. I use a bead of electrical tape when the hardtop is on to keep it from leaking all winter.. worked like a charm.

2006 TJ SE - Does what I want it to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Thanks man.

The only reason i worry about the back is b/c on occasion it has leaked enough to get the area under my rear seat wet.

And as for the front, i'm pretty sure that it's leaking where i described, but i may pop off my top and see if i can add a little seal up top and see if it doesn't help any, it can't hurt.

again, thanks.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 AM
M.DURITZ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

There are always going to be leaks in a jeep. Sadly, I learned the hard way. I first spent $$$ on trying to seal the cracked rear-windshield seal, after that failed I spent more $$$ on a brand new seal, after that didn't work I spent even more $$$ on a new rear windshield, and after that didn't work I just gave up and accepted the fact that rain would get in my jeep. Now my jeep is like a fish tank when it rains. Leaks come in the back, the front drivers and passengers and who knows where else.

2001 Yellow TJ Wrangler | 4" Superlift | 33 x 12.50 x 15 BFG's | Front and Rear WARN Bumpers | XeNoN Flat Fenders
post #6 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
ITjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ben as for leak #2 I have had this off and on and finially figured out i did not have my hard top set right...I unlatched and unbolted and reset and have been fine since. as for leak #1 Most jeep do that too check the cowl and for the elbow for the ac drain....

post #7 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Well, i read where alotta jeeps have the problem your talkin about for leak#1. So i got to looking, and i'm all but sure it's leaking where i illustrated here. That corner on top of the rubber seal is the only place i can find water, other than where it drips down in the floor at.

I just don't want it to rust out my floorboards mainly.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Combatsylvania

with softdoors i leak all summer long... just pull the carpet out and drain plugs, lets her drain...

if ya really wanna pretect against rust, use a bedliner or linex or something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenReilly

So in other words, with jeeps sometimes you just gotta deal with it????

I can handle that, i had thought about getting rid of the carpet and putting down a liner anyways.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Combatsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly
So in other words, with jeeps sometimes you just gotta deal with it????

I can handle that, i had thought about getting rid of the carpet and putting down a liner anyways.

Well.. if you buy a brand new jeep, in its factory form it should not leak.. Once you start folding windshields up and down, taking doors off, changing door/top configurations, offroading you increase the chances of getting a leak. Now, im sure with some creativity you could stop the leaks, you just have to choose your battles...

post #11 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Kewl, well i'm happy with my first foray into the forum, thanks for the insight guys ! ! !
post #12 of 23 Old 09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITjeep
Ben as for leak #2 I have had this off and on and finially figured out i did not have my hard top set right...I unlatched and unbolted and reset and have been fine since. as for leak #1 Most jeep do that too check the cowl and for the elbow for the ac drain....

That pretty much took care of mine. I added clear hose to the drain for the A/C (per Stu's write up), and cleaned out my cowl drain and it took care of the leaks.

05 LJ
08 JKU Rubicon
post #13 of 23 Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM
dcrocket63
Dave

2008 JK Wrangler 

My '08 is only 3 weeks old (to me, anyway). I've had it in for service once already, when after a heavy period of rain, there was water dripping in from both the driver's top door seal and the front passenger's top door seal. They SAID they replaced the passenger's with a new seal kit -- water was coming in when I picked it up LOL.

Good news is, they appear committed to fixing the issues...so stay tuned ... I know one thing...I'm not willing to just accept that a brand new vehicle is "just gonna leak sometimes."
post #14 of 23 Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
BenReilly

Yeah, i agree with ya on a new one, thats pretty unnacceptable, mine an '02, so i can deal with it.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 AM
dcrocket63
Dave

2008 JK Wrangler 

I guess it depends on your perspectives, where you live, etc. A leaky jeep is no fun in the Northeast, or the Pacific Northwest I suppose, where precip is pretty common.

I can understand if I off-road and drive through a pond or stream, lol...but sitting in the parking lot where I work? HELL no...not when it's 3 weeks old or 300 weeks old...somethin's f-ed up about that.

Like I said...still hopeful that the issues will be fixed acceptably. Fact is, I love the damn thing so much in just the short time I've had it...but if this is a continuing problem, some of that excitement's gonna suffer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.