Leaking From Transfer Case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking From Transfer Case

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
HillBilly0324
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking From Transfer Case

So driving home last night I stopped to fill up and noticed some smoke coming from under my Jeep. When I crawled under to look it I found that there was fluid from the middle of the transfer case all the way back to the rear axel. It is getting slung all over the place from the floor boards all the way back. It is actually dripping from the floor board. The fluid has a red tint to it but then again I just replaced the transmission fluid and used Royal Purlple and that fluid also has a red tint to it. I'm just wondering where it could be leaking from or if it could be I just overfiller the transmission and that's why it's coming out.

HillBilly0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the fluid yourself?I took my old Jeep somewhere to let them change the fluid and they dumped it everywhere.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wipe everything down and try to pinpoint the location of the leak. Have you done any other work on it besides replacing the Trans fluid? Have you put in an SYE or opened up the TC for any reason?
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
HillBilly0324
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did the fluid myself. About two months ago I rebeuilt the transmission and replaced the clutch and U-joints. Everything was going great with the transmission and everything and then I drained the fuid in the transmission and refilled it in order to get the break-in fluid out of it. I haven't done anything to the transfer case other than pulling it to get the transmission out. I'm going to open the fill plug on the transfer case today and check the fluid in it. If that's good then I guess I'm going to check the transmission again. I will spray everything down with brake clean at that time and try to find it. Mostly I'm just wondering has anyone ever overfilled a transfission and if so where did it leak from. The way it seems right now I don't see any where specific that it's coming from unless it's the out put shaft of the transfer case. Thanks for the input guys.
HillBilly0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly0324 View Post
Mostly I'm just wondering has anyone ever overfilled a transfission and if so where did it leak from. The way it seems right now I don't see any where specific that it's coming from unless it's the out put shaft of the transfer case. Thanks for the input guys.
That would be hard to do because it would run out of the fill bolt when full.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.