Leaking transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking transfer case?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking transfer case?

I've noticed some oil residue on the front end of my transfer case where the front drive shaft meets with it. It's getting sprayed all the way up to the underbody and all around that area, so it must be leaking on the shaft to get thrown all over the place like that.

So what could be leaking? Is there a seal there like the pinion seals going into my differentials? I just changed one pinion seal today and I have to do the other soon too, so might as well get this done while I'm at it.

Speaking of which, is the fact that both my pinion seals and my transfer case were leaking when I bought this Wrangler sufficient to suspect someone had it in water?

TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Michael_K

Not really. I replaced pinion seals, transfercase output shaft seals, and the rear main seal at least once.
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_K
transfercase output shaft seals,
So back to my main question, is that what I need to change on my transfer case?
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Michael_K

I guess if only the seal is causing the leak there for sure, then you would need to change the seal. However, in rare cases, the bearing could have gone bad or the yoke itself causing the leak.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52218_05.htm

Michael K.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.