Leaking from rear end. What is broken? I have a picture - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking from rear end. What is broken? I have a picture

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
rsoby
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking from rear end. What is broken? I have a picture

After wheeling in deep mud and rocks I noticed some oil on the floor of my garage. I checked the level in the rear diff and as soon as I pulled the plastic plug thick oil started to ooze out. Is the level of the read diff supposed to be over the plug on the rear of the pumpkin?

Anyways, Here is a pic and you can clearly see where the oil is leaking from.

What is broken? I'm stumped.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ======

I have to leave my house in about an hour. Please read my last post. I don't want to ruin my rear. Is it safe to drive?

imag0130.jpg  

Last edited by rsoby; 08-13-2010 at 05:27 AM..
rsoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That would be your pinion seal. Pull the driveshaft put the pinion nut pull the yoke off then pull the seal off. Then put it all back on in the same order then tighten the nut to 175 lbs.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those weeds chewed up your pinion seal. You'll need a new one.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
That would be your pinion seal. Pull the driveshaft put the pinion nut pull the yoke off then pull the seal off. Then put it all back on in the same order then tighten the nut to 175 lbs.
He's got a D35 rear axle though. He'll have to worry about the crush sleeve and tighten it correctly or he'll mess up the pinion bearing/ring and pinion.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
rsoby
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How do I tighten it correctly?
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I re-did the seal on my d30 about 20,000 miles ago by counting threads and tightening 1/16th turn past my mark. No issues so far, and PLENTY of offroad abuse. Don't know if this will work with the 35

Also, diff oil will spill out if it's hot. It expands.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yea true.I don't know the torque rating for the dana 35. Whatever it is send it to that number. I still do believe it is really close to 175.
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the torque is variable depending upon preload needed.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^ Correct but there is a "going number" that people use. I am trying to find it now.
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There are several techniques I've read about. One is doing it the fsm way measuring the pre-load to determine how much you need to torque the pinion nut to. The other involves something like marking the current location of the pinion nut and then just tightening it back to that location after replacing the seal. I don't remember the details. In a few older threads I found before, Jerry B describes how he did it for his TJ D30 or D35 (I can't remember) which both have crush sleeves without measuring the pre-load. I had a D30 pinion seal leak about two years ago. I was going to replace it myself, but went ahead and got it replaced by a shop for 50 bucks and 30 minutes of my time for the peace of mind.

Last edited by BYuen; 08-06-2010 at 07:15 PM..
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXSM-0053.PDF

Check this, confirm your serial number. Dana is awesome about providing details, this is just an example, however based on the rear end number.

Mostly on a rear axle, in the heavy truck end, I just replace seal and bump tight with an impact wrench 1/2'' will do.

All you need is a model number and a serial number, then check the OEM websites, generally they will provide service and parts manuals.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
rsoby
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was going to replace it myself, but went ahead and got it replaced by a shop for 50 bucks and 30 minutes of my time for the peace of mind.
This is what I am thinking.
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
The other involves something like marking the current location of the pinion nut and then just tightening it back to that location after replacing the seal.
I've marked the nut and pinion thread with a punch, then used lock tight with the original nut. I was poor then and it worked well...
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
rsoby
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One last question. I found it odd that I was still leaking fluid the following day (about a 1 foot by 1 1/2 foot puddle). I removed the rear drain plug and it starting to ooze oil. I then put the plug back in to stop the loss of diff fluid. I'm guessing that it was overfilled to begin with above the level of the pinion seal and thats where the puddle came from.

Should I be worried about driving it to the shop tomorrow?

Will the level of fluid be ok to make a 10 mile ride?

Ideas?

(please)
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #15
rsoby
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. Have to leave in an hour.

Tags
crush sleeve , d 35 , dana 35 , pinion nut , pinion seal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.