Leaking Heater Core - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking Heater Core

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking Heater Core

So, I have had clear water leaking out of my drip line for the heater core for about 9 months. I have always had heat and A/C, and the only problem that I can see is that I am losing coolant fluid levels. When is it time to replace the heater core? Are there problems with doing this with a TJ that has A/C like mine does? Thanks!

I just read that you have to take out the whole dash and drop the steering column....

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's the heater core? Earlier TJ's have a common problem of leaking the condensation from the A/C into the passenger floorboard. Also, you say the drip line? Are you sure that isn't just the condensation from A/C? If so, thats completely normal. In fact, you want that. Just keep on mind that the A/C runs when it's on the defrost settings too.
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
BringThaPain
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 leaks condensation of the passenger side at times too. A bad heater core will be noticeable, as in you will smell antifreeze coming out of your vents.
BringThaPain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it is the heater core leaking, you can try some good stop leak from any auto store. Make sure to follow instructions and run the heater when you put it in the radiator.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it is the heater core, I feel sorry for you. Mine went out and was a pain to get to and replace. You will also need the A/C system evacuated before doing the removal/install.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Since you said that the fluid that was coming out of the hose was clear, I would say that it was just condensed water from the AC system. So your heater core sounds OK to me. As for coolant being lost, do you ever see the overflow bottle dripping any out? Is your exhaust smoke white? Is your radiator cap good and is it tight? Is there any sign of coolant leaking from the radiator where the plastic tanks are connected to the heat exchanger? Is the overflow hose properly attached at both ends? Do you ever see puddles of coolant under the Jeep after it has been driven and parked?
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Uh NO stop leak is the worst thing ever to put into you cooling system. Appears that the heater core is fine but my radiator fluid is brown. Looks like the used car dealer or previous owner used stop leak on this and it is disgusting, will need all new hoses, radiator, etc....the works. I am not taking this one out on the trail next week in crested butte either....that sucks.

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_crawler View Post
Uh NO stop leak is the worst thing ever to put into you cooling system. Appears that the heater core is fine but my radiator fluid is brown. Looks like the used car dealer or previous owner used stop leak on this and it is disgusting, will need all new hoses, radiator, etc....the works. I am not taking this one out on the trail next week in crested butte either....that sucks.
I hear ya with that. I hate stop leak. When my grandpa had our CJ7, he took it to the shop to get a Freeze Plug fixed. Instead of fixing it, they put in leak stop. He wasen't happy with this, but couldn't do anything about it. Then when we pulled the engine out, we realized that the stop leak clogged the coolant passages from the block to the head! Not only that, but it looked like gravy...

Unread 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I agree about the stop leak, it is a quick fix until you have the time or cash to do a permanant repair. I have replaced an AC Condensor on a 89 Daytona and had to remove the complete dash and console. It was an all day job. I agree that if it is clear water its not the heater core. You will smell it through the heater/AC vents if the core was leaking.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah that pic is exactly what I am talking about. I tried to clean the overflow resevoir and it is like gum, cant get any of it out. That stuff is worthless. Is there anything that will disolve it the next time I flush my cooling system?

Unread 09-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
jprs_peeprs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just Say NO! to stop leak...

C.
jprs_peeprs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
myriad360
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprs_peeprs View Post
Just Say NO! to stop leak...

C.
x2. Unless you like gumming up your cooling system and replacing all the heater core / radiator parts later because they are so gummed up, they don't cool anymore. This is why I am doing my heater core... somone put that stuff in there, and it no longer recirculates any coolant into the heater core.

You would be way better off just bypassing whatever unit you are trying to stop leak, since that is pretty much what you are doing with it. Worthless gunk.
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L, White. Bought in Vancouver, WA in 2003. 1st Jeep, White. Bought with 3" lift, added Pacesetter header and 40 series Flowmaster
myriad360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It maybe a farmer thing, but we use pepper in our coolant systems if were in a pinch and have a leak..Its work very well.
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper View Post
It maybe a farmer thing, but we use pepper in our coolant systems if were in a pinch and have a leak..Its work very well.
I've heard of something like that, but with cracking an egg in your radiator.
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

Pepper does work, I have done it.

Tom
Tom Hartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.