Leaking Coolant... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking Coolant...

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking Coolant...

Hello, Looking for some help with anyone else that might have heard of or experienced this issue.

My 4.0 is leaking coolant from the front of the engine which appears to be coming out directly at the front lip of the crankshaft case right below the lower pulley. It does not leak at all when the engine is cool, only when it reaches normal temps. I know that there isn't (I should say shouldn't be) coolant in the crankshaft case, so my initial thought was that it might have been pouring down from the water pump, thermostat housing, or one of the front hoses. So I replaced the water pump since it was over 4 years old anyway, replaced the thermostat, completely scarped off and cleaned the gasket surfaces, and used RTV to help seal things up. I also checked the hoses and although they look old, seemed to hold up well and did not have any cracks or tears.

After all was said and done, I tested it out and I still experienced the same issues. Held up fine until the engine got up to normal operating temps then the leaking began again. All the signs point to a leaking water pump but I made certain to completely remove all remnants and sand the surfaces smooth prior to installing the new unit. Same went with the Thermostat.

I rented a pressurizer to test the system since it's too difficult to see exactly where it's coming from with the fan blowing. I will be tackling this again on Friday, but until then does anyone have any ideas, anything else I should check, thanks!

Unread 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump...
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, it sounds like the pressure check should help you locate it pretty quick. You shouldn't have to run the engine to pressure check it so get ya a mirror and a flashlight to pinpoint it.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
baldeagle1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It was suggested to me couple weeks ago to rent tool from a Parts store. Most give your money back when returning tool. So, it really is a tool loan.
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Wushaw, any possibility it would be getting into the crankshaft and leaking out?

By the way, not too often you see that older model silver, nice jeep!
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle1 View Post
It was suggested to me couple weeks ago to rent tool from a Parts store. Most give your money back when returning tool. So, it really is a tool loan.
Yep, that's what I did and plan to test it out using the coolant system pressurizer tomorrow. It was free as long as I return the tool of course.
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
steelmillman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your head gasket is a possible culprit.
steelmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Thanks Wushaw, any possibility it would be getting into the crankshaft and leaking out?

By the way, not too often you see that older model silver, nice jeep!
It's desert tan Coolant leaking from the crankshaft ft. seal would be almost impossible and if it was your oil would look like a chocolate milk shake.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

Check your thermostat housing (water outlet) to make sure there isn't a crack in it from putting it back on your Jeep. They crack extremely easy, I learned the hard way.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfuzzy View Post
Check your thermostat housing (water outlet) to make sure there isn't a crack in it from putting it back on your Jeep. They crack extremely easy, I learned the hard way.
Thanks guys for all the help and replies! I really appreciate it!

djfuzzy - I think you might be on to something... I do remember a sharp "crack" sound when tightening the thermostat housing back on. I loosened it, took it off and gave it a quick look over but it was too difficult to see any cracks or damage since there was RTV sealant all over the surface of it. When I went to tighten it back into place it did not make a crack noise again. I'll start there, remove it and clean it up to see if there's any damage.

Again, thank you all for the help. I hope to have this solved once and for all.
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help and replies! I really appreciate it!

djfuzzy - I think you might be on to something... I do remember a sharp "crack" sound when tightening the thermostat housing back on. I loosened it, took it off and gave it a quick look over but it was too difficult to see any cracks or damage since there was RTV sealant all over the surface of it. When I went to tighten it back into place it did not make a crack noise again. I'll start there, remove it and clean it up to see if there's any damage.

Again, thank you all for the help. I hope to have this solved once and for all.
That's exactly what happened when I broke mine. Just a few turns of the wrench and snap! Sounds like a big twisted straw popping.

Searching for a CJ again

1983 CJ7 Renegade
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, exactly! Now I might as well upgrade to a high flow housing if that's the case. Hopefully not too expensive. What did yours run you?
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
SilverTJMike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hesco has the high flow for like 20 bucks.
SilverTJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Yep, exactly! Now I might as well upgrade to a high flow housing if that's the case. Hopefully not too expensive. What did yours run you?
Not sure of the brand, but I got the "expensive" one from NAPA. I think it ran me about $35 (aloha price ). I didn't notice any differences in the size of the ports on it, so I don't believe it to be high flow. But it definitely doesn't leak as much coolant as the cracked one did.

Searching for a CJ again

1983 CJ7 Renegade
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info. I might just be getting whatever brand I can find in stock tomorrow since I need to get the heep back on the road again soon. I will post updates as soon as I can. Thanks again!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.