Leaking around doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking around doors

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking around doors

I'm tracking down a leak on my Jeep. Its puddling on both sides of the front floors, soaking the carpet pretty good. I've pulled it out for now.
I have full steel doors and the hard top on.

My brother and I hosed it down while looking to try and see where it's coming from and it looks to be around the top front corner of the drivers side, and the corner/edge about where the windshield hinge is, and the front edge of the passenger side by the hinge too. and along the edge going down there.

I sealed the edge of the windshield with some silcone to try and rule that out, but its still leaking.

The door seals still look to in great shape and don't look flat or cracked/dry etc...
The dealer wants ~$165 each side for doors seals, and OMIX has aftermarket ones for about $80 a side. Either way is a bit pricey to see if it works.

I've tried tweaking the front edge slightly out so to no avail, and not sure if I should try to adjust the doors as both seem to 'tilt' back a lil but are otherwise flush and good it looks like. Hinges are good too, no play.

Any more ideas would be great, or should I spend the money on seals (and which if so)?

Thanks in advance

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ebay has them listed at $80 for both front doors, saves ya' 50% anyway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WRANGLER-DOO...33773e&vxp=mtr

if you're just looking to test to see if it is in fact the seals, you could try rubbing them down with brake fluid.
It's supposed to make rubber swell possibly leading to a better seal.

I have no idea how messy that would be to clean up or whether it will destroy your seals afterwards.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
jameslee97206
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had this problem on a 2003 TJ at my work. It was leaking in pretty bad, I read a bunch of threads and re sealed the cowl. That didn't work. On the area you are describing there is a nub on the tubs door jamb that was diverting the water in behind the dash then on to the floor. Here's what I did to fix it. I took the plastic piece of the side of the windsheild frame and sealed it with clear silicone then on that seam where it meets the dash I loaded it up with silicone as well. That fixed it, now the water ran down the door jamb instead of in behind the dash. Good luck man
jameslee97206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
toxikmo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

^ brake cleaner will eat away the rubber. You can try some baby oil, and spread it on the wheather stripping ( only on one side) and close the door. And reopen it . Take a look one side that you didn't put oil on and look for a dry spot . The dry spot will indicate a flat spot on the weather stripping . I've herd some ppl fill the bad spot with silicone to bubblle it up again
toxikmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The seals look puffy and good, I'll look at the area james mentioned, but the waters not coming from behind the dash though, and I'll have to try the baby oil trick or something to see where it's not touching, its got to be somewhere if its leaking! It's been raining here non-stop and the forcast is saying till early next week off/on

Thanks for the link Zombi. I wonder what brand they are and if they are good? $22 to ship up here though Still cheaper than the other options yet
Unread 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone think I should buy aftermarket seals? They're still leaking
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 2000tj leaked on my shoes from under the dash on both sides the day I picked it up new from the dealership.
I brought it back 3 times and they could not fix it. Seems like its the worst
when its raining hard and Im going atleast 50mph and driving up an incline.
After all this time i gave up on fixing it. I bought some rubber mats that collects the water and I drive with my feet up. I guess this what people refer
as a jeep thing!
jeffreyd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine leaks onto the carpet, rubber mats wont collect it. Its coming in through the door seals.
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I messaged the place in the eBay link Zombi posted... they won't even tell me what brand or company makes them! I guess they aren't interested in selling anything?!

Fairchild and Crown but make aftermarket seals, I wonder which are good/best quality?
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Used to put vasaline on the seal on our convertable mustang at the windshield. Just a thought and didn't hurt the seal
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
mr_bungle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikmo View Post
^ brake cleaner will eat away the rubber. You can try some baby oil, and spread it on the wheather stripping ( only on one side) and close the door. And reopen it . Take a look one side that you didn't put oil on and look for a dry spot . The dry spot will indicate a flat spot on the weather stripping . I've herd some ppl fill the bad spot with silicone to bubblle it up again
and eat your paint that is just silly
mr_bungle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The company on eBay that I asked what brand/company made them has blocked me from asking them any questions or buying them... for asking what company/brand they were!!! They obviously dont want to sell anything. Are companies this threatened by the quality of stuff they sell or ???... Screw them!
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are the aftermarket door seals from Rugged Ridge, Crown, and Fairchild any good and which might be better?
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Icarus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess all seals are exactly the same quality no matter what brand I buy... gee, I wish everything was this easy?!
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Drill a small hole in the lowest point. I've had three tjs and all but the hard top and hard door variant leaked. You can drive yourself mad hunting this down.
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.