Leak Detection Pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leak Detection Pump

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
mlelah
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Leak Detection Pump

My CEL is on (P0442 and P0455). It's been on most of the time, but sometimes goes off when I refuel. I've checked all the hoses, and replaced the fuel cap (but not pulled the gas tank). I understand that the Leak Detection pump may be wearing out. Is there a way I can check this? There is no code for the LDP so its electricals must be fine. Thanks.

mlelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelah View Post
My CEL is on (P0442 and P0455). It's been on most of the time, but sometimes goes off when I refuel. I've checked all the hoses, and replaced the fuel cap (but not pulled the gas tank). I understand that the Leak Detection pump may be wearing out. Is there a way I can check this? There is no code for the LDP so its electricals must be fine. Thanks.
If it was the LDP you would be getting the code for it. I forget the number.
What are those codes for?
You can unplug the LDP and see what codes you get.
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
mlelah
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The codes are for small and large emissions leak. But if I unplug the LDP, now the computer can't measure the system?
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Double check the black rubber hoses which connect the hard lines. If one looks cracked, it is likely your problem. Doesn't have to be cracked much.

I had same codes on my 03. Turned out to be the black rubber hose at the base of the firewall which connects the hard line coming from the fender to the hardline which runs along the frame.

What I did to diagnose was simply wrap the suspected black rubber hose with electrical tape to seal it up. Reset the computer/disconnected and reconnected battery. By the way, that tape lasted for 9 months.

Good luck.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelah View Post
The codes are for small and large emissions leak. But if I unplug the LDP, now the computer can't measure the system?
Odd, my LDP is in a box somewhere and I just get a code for it. 04' though and that probably has something to do with it.
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
mlelah
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump gasket leak

so I took my jeep to the dealership and they did a smoke test. They said smoke is coming from the fuel pump area. They want $700 to replace the fuel pump module. No way since the fuel pump is fine. I think I just need to drop the tank and replace the ring gasket. Comments or suggestions? Thanks.
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think you're right.

If you do a search using the codes and the fuel tank gasket, you should find what you are looking for - I recall seeing it when I was trying to find my leak.

Good luck.
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of minutes of searching and found this for you:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/code-p0455-82307/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.