leak detection pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > leak detection pump

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

leak detection pump

so the DIY highline is complete but now I have a constant ticking sound at idle to 1000 or so, the Leak detection pump has the same noise and you can feel it with your hand over the filter part of the pump. Its fairly loud inside the jeep as well. What would cause this ? I checked for any pinched hoses or didn't see any. Does the pump or vapor canister needed to be mounted a certain way ?

any help would be appreciated, other then that the jeep runs awesome

1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nobody knows anything about the emission system and how it works ?
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Any CEL? Thinking it could be the relay, or is it louder than that?

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
1973 cz 250 MX Not much suspension, but 36 BHP at 6k rpms!
2006 Rhino SE, 27" Mud lites and a cupholder.
http://www.caos4x4.com/cmbs/index.php
JTB51B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB51B
Any CEL? Thinking it could be the relay, or is it louder than that?

Jason
no CEL yet (although battery's been out for a few days and I think it takes x amount of key cycles before it throws a CEL ?)

I actually just read up a little about the emission system here

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl010h.htm

Pumping Action:
During portions of this test, the PCM uses the reed switch to monitor diaphragm movement. The solenoid is only turned on by the PCM after the reed switch changes from open to closed, indicating that the diaphragm has moved down. At other times during the test, the PCM will rapidly cycle the LDP solenoid on and off to quickly pressurize the system. During rapid cycling, the diaphragm will not move enough to change the reed switch state. In the state of rapid cycling, the PCM will use a fixed time interval to cycle the solenoid.

it kind of sounds like what im hearing. I can hear the ticking and feel it as the leak detection pump goes up and down and can feel it on the little air filter thing it has.

Im not sure if its doing it because its not setup in the right direction or maybe i pinched a vacuum line off enough or a leak somewhere ?

If anyone could snap a pic of the inside fender area on the drivers side, the black box and the stuff around it ? would like to see what orientation it was originally in
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll get a pic for you but unfortunately it will be Friday before I can do it! As soon as I get back in town I'll see what I can do for you. IIRC the box is oriented so that it looks like a rectangle lying longside down. Gosh, sounds bad now but I really can't picture all that junk! I would imagine you have a leak somewhere more than a pinch somewhere. Check your tank connections, they can get loose/torn. There is also a (green?) cap on the evap lines that could be off.. I'm going strictly by memory here so I could very well be WRONG!

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll get a pic for you but unfortunately it will be Friday before I can do it! As soon as I get back in town I'll see what I can do for you. IIRC the box is oriented so that it looks like a rectangle lying longside down. Gosh, sounds bad now but I really can't picture all that junk! I would imagine you have a leak somewhere more than a pinch somewhere. Check your tank connections, they can get loose/torn. There is also a (green?) cap on the evap lines that could be off.. I'm going strictly by memory here so I could very well be WRONG!

Jason
a leak or pinch can be very easy in my setup, nothings how it used to be before moving the fenders up 3" and cutting the hood down doesnt leave alot of room for everything to easily
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What I was thinking is that a pinch in a vaccume system will indicate that all is well while a leak would give rise to a problem. I could be wrong, these systems could be set for a certain amount of pressure loss and it could be seeing NONE..

Jason
Unread 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I was thinking is that a pinch in a vaccume system will indicate that all is well while a leak would give rise to a problem. I could be wrong, these systems could be set for a certain amount of pressure loss and it could be seeing NONE..

Jason
I dunno i may check it out tomorrow depending how cold it is and how much snow's on the ground. Either way its more of annoyance right now more then anything but I hate small things like that
Unread 01-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When I installed (and removed) my body, lift, the lines that go into the intake manifold popped off. This gave me a noise at idle, and it didn't throw a code until about a 100 miles. I reinstalled them with no problems.

I don't have a pic, but the lines are the ones that go into the manifold right by the master cylinder.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.