Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question) - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler
 
HanksRide's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenwood, Arkansas
Posts: 1,519
Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question)

I know a lot more about YJ's than TJ's, just bought a TJ and was wondering if people do away with track bars and sway bars with coil springs? I know on my YJ I have done away with both and love it that way. The leaf springs locate the axles and really render the bars useless, but I don't totally understand all the geometry with a TJ and coil springs. I assume the control arms locate the axles but still don't totally get it.

Also what is the pro's and con's to spacer lifts. I just assume they are a cheap way to get an extra inch or so in height, but probably not the preferred method. Are they just blocks that insert into the coil springs to keep them from compressing as much???

I know this has probably been discussed a million times on here but my searches kept bringing to more technical questions and answers. I need basics right now, just a general overall how this suspension works!!

Thanks

__________________
HanksRide
(Hank is Yellow Lab) He loves it!!
95yj 4.0L, 4" RC Lift, 8.8, Aussie Locker, Posi-Lok, Rock Sliders, 1" Booms, 33 X 12.50's, Rhino Lining, KC Day Lighters, Rock Bumpers, LED Dash Lights, XRC10 Winch
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Mortalis5509
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hoschton, Georgia
Posts: 225
For a coil spring jeep leave the track bar and sway bars there. You can get quick disconnect for the sways and flex real nice in the front.

Coil spring spacers aren't bad. They are just plastic pieces that go on top of the coil and the amount of lift it gives varies to the thickness. It's a cheaper way to gain an inch or less other than doing a small body lift.
__________________
Go DAWGS
Mortalis5509 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
robncar
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 8,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalis5509
For a coil spring jeep leave the track bar and sway bars there. You can get quick disconnect for the sways and flex real nice in the front.

Coil spring spacers aren't bad. They are just plastic pieces that go on top of the coil and the amount of lift it gives varies to the thickness. It's a cheaper way to gain an inch or less other than doing a small body lift.
Yep, the track bars center the axles on the coil sprung suspension, you need them. To be clear on the sway bars, leave the rear connected at all times. The front sway bay can be disconnected off road but should be connected on the street.

Sent from DROID2
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
conrasm
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,808
Unless you triangulate the control arms, you NEED the track bar. The stock setup can by no means stabalize side to side movement of the jeep/axle. You'd end up breaking off control arm mounts without the trackbar. It would make the vehicle flat out dangerous to drive.

You can drive without the front swaybar on the front, but it will be a bit "squirly" on the road. I couldn't imagine it without both connected. You'd be all over the place.
__________________
Shawn
'00 TJ Sahara (RC 4" LA kit)
'06 Grand Cherokee Limited
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
HanksRide
Web Wheeler
 
HanksRide's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenwood, Arkansas
Posts: 1,519
Thanks folks, I know that sway and trac bars are a confrontational discussion on yj's.. I personally have had both off my yj for 2 years and it drives and handles fine.

I will NOT be taking them off the TJ, it sounds like there really is no choice on these things. I am familar with disconnects and if needed that is the route I will go.

Thanks again,
__________________
HanksRide
(Hank is Yellow Lab) He loves it!!
95yj 4.0L, 4" RC Lift, 8.8, Aussie Locker, Posi-Lok, Rock Sliders, 1" Booms, 33 X 12.50's, Rhino Lining, KC Day Lighters, Rock Bumpers, LED Dash Lights, XRC10 Winch
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Thanks folks, I know that sway and trac bars are a confrontational discussion on yj's.. I personally have had both off my yj for 2 years and it drives and handles fine.

I will NOT be taking them off the TJ, it sounds like there really is no choice on these things. I am familar with disconnects and if needed that is the route I will go.

Thanks again,
Enjoy the much improved coil spring ride.I loved my YJ until I bought a TJ.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
HanksRide
Web Wheeler
 
HanksRide's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenwood, Arkansas
Posts: 1,519
Lets talk lift -- as with my YJ I did the 4" suspension and 1" boom lift that basically led to some issues to resolve afterwards. It messed with my steering geometry, had to get a SYE and new DS etc..

On this stock TJ, I would like to get it to 31X10.50's with no issue of rubbing. My reasoning for it, the oil pan has taken a slight beating along with the fuel tank skid plate. My daughter will be driving it down basic dirt roads, crossing the occasional ditch, straddling a rock on occasion. I just want to get it up to 31's and get some of the important stuff up off the ground a little without messing with steering, DS's, any geometry issues etc..

What route should I take? Will the plastic / rubber things that go on top of the coils do this for me safely? Do I need an actual suspension lift kit of some kind? How high can I go with the coil inserts (don't know what they are called) and still keep all steering in tact.. Remember this is my 18yr old daughter driving it and will spend a lot of time on interstate to and from college.
__________________
HanksRide
(Hank is Yellow Lab) He loves it!!
95yj 4.0L, 4" RC Lift, 8.8, Aussie Locker, Posi-Lok, Rock Sliders, 1" Booms, 33 X 12.50's, Rhino Lining, KC Day Lighters, Rock Bumpers, LED Dash Lights, XRC10 Winch
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Lets talk lift -- as with my YJ I did the 4" suspension and 1" boom lift that basically led to some issues to resolve afterwards. It messed with my steering geometry, had to get a SYE and new DS etc..

On this stock TJ, I would like to get it to 31X10.50's with no issue of rubbing. My reasoning for it, the oil pan has taken a slight beating along with the fuel tank skid plate. My daughter will be driving it down basic dirt roads, crossing the occasional ditch, straddling a rock on occasion. I just want to get it up to 31's and get some of the important stuff up off the ground a little without messing with steering, DS's, any geometry issues etc..

What route should I take? Will the plastic / rubber things that go on top of the coils do this for me safely? Do I need an actual suspension lift kit of some kind? How high can I go with the coil inserts (don't know what they are called) and still keep all steering in tact.. Remember this is my 18yr old daughter driving it and will spend a lot of time on interstate to and from college.
No lift needed for 31's.Rubi's come stock with them and no lift.If you want a little more clearance,just do a simple 1.25" BL,if she bangs it around,buy a skid for the oil pan.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.