Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Leaf Springs vs Coil Springs (Question)

I know a lot more about YJ's than TJ's, just bought a TJ and was wondering if people do away with track bars and sway bars with coil springs? I know on my YJ I have done away with both and love it that way. The leaf springs locate the axles and really render the bars useless, but I don't totally understand all the geometry with a TJ and coil springs. I assume the control arms locate the axles but still don't totally get it.

Also what is the pro's and con's to spacer lifts. I just assume they are a cheap way to get an extra inch or so in height, but probably not the preferred method. Are they just blocks that insert into the coil springs to keep them from compressing as much???

I know this has probably been discussed a million times on here but my searches kept bringing to more technical questions and answers. I need basics right now, just a general overall how this suspension works!!

Thanks

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Mortalis5509
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For a coil spring jeep leave the track bar and sway bars there. You can get quick disconnect for the sways and flex real nice in the front.

Coil spring spacers aren't bad. They are just plastic pieces that go on top of the coil and the amount of lift it gives varies to the thickness. It's a cheaper way to gain an inch or less other than doing a small body lift.
Unread 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalis5509
For a coil spring jeep leave the track bar and sway bars there. You can get quick disconnect for the sways and flex real nice in the front.

Coil spring spacers aren't bad. They are just plastic pieces that go on top of the coil and the amount of lift it gives varies to the thickness. It's a cheaper way to gain an inch or less other than doing a small body lift.
Yep, the track bars center the axles on the coil sprung suspension, you need them. To be clear on the sway bars, leave the rear connected at all times. The front sway bay can be disconnected off road but should be connected on the street.

Sent from DROID2
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you triangulate the control arms, you NEED the track bar. The stock setup can by no means stabalize side to side movement of the jeep/axle. You'd end up breaking off control arm mounts without the trackbar. It would make the vehicle flat out dangerous to drive.

You can drive without the front swaybar on the front, but it will be a bit "squirly" on the road. I couldn't imagine it without both connected. You'd be all over the place.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks folks, I know that sway and trac bars are a confrontational discussion on yj's.. I personally have had both off my yj for 2 years and it drives and handles fine.

I will NOT be taking them off the TJ, it sounds like there really is no choice on these things. I am familar with disconnects and if needed that is the route I will go.

Thanks again,
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Thanks folks, I know that sway and trac bars are a confrontational discussion on yj's.. I personally have had both off my yj for 2 years and it drives and handles fine.

I will NOT be taking them off the TJ, it sounds like there really is no choice on these things. I am familar with disconnects and if needed that is the route I will go.

Thanks again,
Enjoy the much improved coil spring ride.I loved my YJ until I bought a TJ.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lets talk lift -- as with my YJ I did the 4" suspension and 1" boom lift that basically led to some issues to resolve afterwards. It messed with my steering geometry, had to get a SYE and new DS etc..

On this stock TJ, I would like to get it to 31X10.50's with no issue of rubbing. My reasoning for it, the oil pan has taken a slight beating along with the fuel tank skid plate. My daughter will be driving it down basic dirt roads, crossing the occasional ditch, straddling a rock on occasion. I just want to get it up to 31's and get some of the important stuff up off the ground a little without messing with steering, DS's, any geometry issues etc..

What route should I take? Will the plastic / rubber things that go on top of the coils do this for me safely? Do I need an actual suspension lift kit of some kind? How high can I go with the coil inserts (don't know what they are called) and still keep all steering in tact.. Remember this is my 18yr old daughter driving it and will spend a lot of time on interstate to and from college.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Lets talk lift -- as with my YJ I did the 4" suspension and 1" boom lift that basically led to some issues to resolve afterwards. It messed with my steering geometry, had to get a SYE and new DS etc..

On this stock TJ, I would like to get it to 31X10.50's with no issue of rubbing. My reasoning for it, the oil pan has taken a slight beating along with the fuel tank skid plate. My daughter will be driving it down basic dirt roads, crossing the occasional ditch, straddling a rock on occasion. I just want to get it up to 31's and get some of the important stuff up off the ground a little without messing with steering, DS's, any geometry issues etc..

What route should I take? Will the plastic / rubber things that go on top of the coils do this for me safely? Do I need an actual suspension lift kit of some kind? How high can I go with the coil inserts (don't know what they are called) and still keep all steering in tact.. Remember this is my 18yr old daughter driving it and will spend a lot of time on interstate to and from college.
No lift needed for 31's.Rubi's come stock with them and no lift.If you want a little more clearance,just do a simple 1.25" BL,if she bangs it around,buy a skid for the oil pan.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.