JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   "lcg" lift answers needed! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lcg-lift-answers-needed-1625217/)

Ro11s 09-26-2013 11:23 AM

"lcg" lift answers needed!

Hey guys,

I need help with lift questions. My ultimate goal is 3 inches total lift and step up to 35s for a few years until I can handle 37s. I really like Rokmens Niblet build and I want to go that route.

So now my question is how should I go about buying a lift? The holidays are coming and I'm going to start buying this when the sales hit. I'm not the most mechanicly inclined but I am learning, just need advice how to go about it.

Here's my short list list:
Metalcloak adjustable control arms with duro flex joints
OME 2 inch springs
Long travel shocks

Is there any thing else I need to add to the list like adjustable track bar or anything I've missed. I run a 99 Sahara with a 2 inch BB and 1 BL, so I shouldn't need to worry about angle correction right?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the dead horse. Ive checked the forum for a week now and havent found much for my questions.

Wheelin98TJ 09-26-2013 11:48 AM

Moved to TJ Forum.

The forum you posted in (JeepForum Announcements & Comments) is for questions about and help with the forum.

biffgnar 09-26-2013 12:00 PM

22 Attachment(s)
You didn't say anything about high line fenders or getting out the sawzall. 35s on 2" SL and 1" BL going to be real tight. You probably won't need long travel shocks as you won't have much uptravel till fenders and down travelwise your short springs will unseat easily. To make a true "LCG" build work takes a lot more than throwing a short list of bolt on parts at it. Too often LCG is code for not wanting to spend much money. Even Niblet, which had a lot of work into it, looked good but had issues with function.

Ro11s 09-26-2013 12:22 PM

I don't believe that going "Lcg" is a "cheap" way going about it. My goal is keep it low, 37s in the future, keep it streetable and very trail capable. Every jeep will have its ups and downs, so that's not what I'm worried about. I have a full list of what I need/want to do, and its a very long list. I plan on metalcloak fenders front and rear, TT, SYE, gears, chromo shafts... The whole nine yards.

I've been reading that having a long arm kit is pointless when trying to keep things low because you lose ground clearance with the arms. I've seen well tuned short arms beat out a long arm lift. And if I can save a few bucks and get the same performance, than why not?

I know its a lot of work, and I have a list to cover that, but for the time being I need fresh springs, so I may as well start piecing together a lift while I'm at it. I'm just unsure of the parts that I should get to have a capable lift that will last, thus need answers of if what I have listed is a good start, ****ty start, need more parts, or whatever other opinions there are.

Speed94 09-26-2013 02:30 PM

I run DPG's OME Ultimate kit, with a lot of other parts to run 35's. Between the BL and the SL, Im at around 3.5" of total lift. If you are going to wheel with it, ditching the front D30 is probably a better way to go. Some have used the HP D30 with success. I had to use an adjustable track bar when I did my lift (came with the kit). Call Dirk at DPG Offroad and talk to him....hes very knowledgeable and is more then willing to talk to you about your plans and the best way to proceed.

Ro11s 09-26-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed94 (Post 16340049)
I run DPG's OME Ultimate kit, with a lot of other parts to run 35's. Between the BL and the SL, Im at around 3.5" of total lift. If you are going to wheel with it, ditching the front D30 is probably a better way to go. Some have used the HP D30 with success. I had to use an adjustable track bar when I did my lift (came with the kit). Call Dirk at DPG Offroad and talk to him....hes very knowledgeable and is more then willing to talk to you about your plans and the best way to proceed.

I'll give him a call some time and run it by him. I am planning to do a HP30 and Durango steering box here in the near future.
The reason I was thinking of metal cloak control arms was because I recent won a $250 gift card from a raffle. I was figuring that combines with whatever sales they have would cut me a pretty good deal. I saw their duroflex joints in action on the RTI and I was extremely impressed with its ability for being a short arm.

I'm already at about 3 inches right now from the factory, which is why I'm curious if I need to bother with track bars right now or hold off for a little bit longer.

WKdeuce 09-26-2013 02:54 PM

The answers that you receive here, in this thread, will pale in comparison to the knowledge you will need and the knowledge that is available here in the TJ section by searching.

Start with the sticky threads at the top of this forum, then search for these:

track bar does yours hit or fit
mudb8 has a thread on shock shifters
how duroflex stacks up
currie 3" vs metalcloack 3.5"

(not the exact names but that should get you rolling)

you'll also find literally tons of threads on 35s vs 37s and what it takes to run them, so take a while to search through and you'll find the answers,

Ro11s 09-26-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKdeuce (Post 16340649)
The answers that you receive here, in this thread, will pale in comparison to the knowledge you will need and the knowledge that is available here in the TJ section by searching.

Start with the sticky threads at the top of this forum, then search for these:

track bar does yours hit or fit
mudb8 has a thread on shock shifters
how duroflex stacks up
currie 3" vs metalcloack 3.5"

(not the exact names but that should get you rolling)

you'll also find literally tons of threads on 35s vs 37s and what it takes to run them, so take a while to search through and you'll find the answers,

I have already searched and browsed all over JF, my question is for people not trying to up sell stuff that I may or may not need. I admit, I don't have much experience, that's why I search, and ask questions to non salesmen.

LittleBluE 09-26-2013 03:22 PM

people like you are why everyone on the forums get angry at LCOG builds. To have a functional LCOG, you need to make your own links. No way around it. You also need as much travel as possible which means custom shocks. You also need to take into account axles and clearancing. It's really hard to do right and throwing a lift "kit" on it and cutting some metal up doesn't make you LCG. It makes you a cheap guy who Cant afford to do it right. It's very expensive, and will cost double lifting standardly will.

Head over to pirate, here is not the place to be looking for LCG, the only build would be impeds. Read his build then decide if all of his troubles are worth it to you.

Stock links have limits and they are moreso exposed when built LCG.

WKdeuce 09-26-2013 03:24 PM

I'm not trying to sell you anything, only help, all of the following are on the front page of the TJ Technical Forum.
Read those threads, as you develop very specific questions you might ask them in the threads dedicated to those subjects, as people with experience in those topics have those threads added to their watched threads, and don't always jump in to answer these frequently asked very generic questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ro11s (Post 16334857)
Long travel shocks

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...antage-852221/

Quote:

Is there any thing else I need to add to the list like adjustable track bar

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

Quote:

Metalcloak adjustable control arms with duro flex joints

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...ks-up-1482467/

Those 3 threads have more information than this one ever will is my point, I'm not being crass, I'm trying to point you to where you will find the information, and to better places to ask more specific questions.

Imped 09-26-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBluE (Post 1634148)
the only build would be impeds.

I respectfully disagree. ;)

Timido 09-26-2013 03:54 PM

If you are doing things in steps. I would do a belly up and lockers first. A small lift and 33"s should get you alot of places.

LittleBluE 09-26-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 16342017)

I respectfully disagree. ;)

its okay to take some credit every now and then dude! Yours is definitely the most documented and defined in my opinion.

Here you will find good info, but pirate is home to custom builds im sure you'll agree to that.

Ro11s 09-26-2013 04:18 PM

I get what everyone is saying. Im going to take WKduece's advice and make my questions more clear. lol

I'm 24 and I bought my jeep bone stock 3 years ago. I did not grow up around mechanicaly inclined people, everything was taken to shops for even an oil change. I am in process of learning as much as I can so I can do my own work. Thus I dont have much knowledge or ability to do custom arms on my own yet or anything that serious. My jeep is going to be a step by step project for many years to come, Im just asking for some advice if I am taking a good first step.

What I would like to know is:

1) I have a 2 inch budget boost, my springs are tired and need replaced. I want to replace those with 2 inch lift springs from OME, essentially keeping me the same height minus the difference in my current spring sag.

2) My track bar does not hit as of now, I am essentially staying the same height, so do I need to upgrade that or no? I'm not sure how much added flex there will be so I would rather place one order and knock everything out in a day.

3) Along with this, my shocks are worn out and need replaced. It's worth it to me to get what will last me the longest, even if I wont touch the potential of them yet.
I have a sawzall that will be used in the rear and I will see what needs done up front.

4) The control arms are for the added strength, better ride, and a little added flex.

So basically, how is this for a starting point? Is the track bar needed to keep from contacting or will mine hold off for a bit longer? Is there anything just absolutly wrong with this "plan" that someone should hunt me down and slap me? lol This is just a starting point, there are so many more upgrades to get to where I want, but 37s wont happen for years. regearing and 35s are next years plans, I just want to freshen up/upgrade the suspension a bit before I get them.

_KONG_ 09-26-2013 04:20 PM

Save all your money and buy some gas. Wheel it till you find its weaknesses and problems you need to fix. The terrain you wheel will dictate how to build your jeep. Dont worry about COG so much

The time now is 06:36 AM.