LCG is a joke and I don't care what you think! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LCG is a joke and I don't care what you think!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #61
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
over 3" of body lift is illegal in many states.
This I would love to see in writing, show me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #62
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Man did this go off topic quick...but it has peaked my interest.
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #63
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I have heard of it before in a few states; a quick google search turned up this:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...w/viewall.html

which lists one or two states where over 3" body is illegal, others say 4 or 5.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #64
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
One example is Michigan law.

"All lift blocks must be of single piece construction, and cannot exceed 4 inches in height between
the rear axle and springs, or 3 inches between the body and frame. Refer to section 257.710c(4) of the Michigan
Vehicle Code for a complete list."

Source: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/high_rise_vehicle_law_8580_7.pdf
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #65
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
That's like driving your Rubicon in JV, getting hung up on a rock, twisting the hell out of your t-case skid on a rock and taking it back to Jeep, saying "I got stuck and bent my skid, fix it under warranty".
Only that sucks way, way, way less.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #66
jwm1986
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is almost out of place by this point in the conversation but I don't plan on going over 2-3" of lift so my total height doesn't get too high and I start hitting trees with my windshield frame and roll bars...
jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #67
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
I have heard of it before in a few states; a quick google search turned up this:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...w/viewall.html

which lists one or two states where over 3" body is illegal, others say 4 or 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
One example is Michigan law.

"All lift blocks must be of single piece construction, and cannot exceed 4 inches in height between
the rear axle and springs, or 3 inches between the body and frame. Refer to section 257.710c(4) of the Michigan
Vehicle Code for a complete list."

Source: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/high_rise_vehicle_law_8580_7.pdf
That was my bad, I read it as a 3 inch body lift, not over 3 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #68
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would rather go get hung up being low than roll-over from being too high.
All day long.

The factory skid is junk..get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Unread 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #69
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavard View Post
I'm going to assume this was directed at me since I' posted just that in this thread this AM. If that's not the case then what I say here still applies:

The only danger is if the shocks are bottoming out. If the suspension cycle's limiting factor is the bumpstops then it is performing normally. If your shocks are what is capping the upward travel then yes, you're going to blow out shock towers, the shock, and potentially much more.
no, wasn't directed specifically towards you, but you did make me go back and read what you posted

and no, the danger isn't only in bottoming out the shocks. track bar vs diff cover & tie-rod vs track bar is a big issue with LCG builds. In the rear gas tank vs diff cover and track bar vs bracket and bracket vs fuel lines are an issue.

Part of any suspension system build, including LCG, involves pushing your axle to full bump & full stuff to check to travel/clearance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavard View Post
It's all about getting our rig onto a ramp... a fork, or a dirt mound and testing it out... then getting it on some trails at low speeds and testing it out again.
no need. pull the springs and push the axle to full bump & full flex in your garage...adjust the bumpstop extensions as necessary. In front, the N66L's need 2" front bumpstop extension...and thats not limiting your flex, its just preventing you from bottoming out the shocks. Do the same for the rear
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #70
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool read... thanx. I had heard of the Raptor issue. Given that they have maybe 3" of uptravel, I am not surprised they have some issues at serious speed.

I know exactly where that stretch is in the video and have traveled it many times. There is also a ton of that style of trail at JV that needs to be traversed before you even get to the rocks. Trust me that 2-3" of uptravel makes for a long crappy ride out there. I am plenty happy on my 4" suspension, 1.25" body, flat bottom and 6"/6" up/down shock travel.
Ecodiesel, QDII, ORA, Class IV Tow, 18's
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #71
popeyesides
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Cool read... thanx. I had heard of the Raptor issue. Given that they have maybe 3" of uptravel, I am not surprised they have some issues at serious speed.

I know exactly where that stretch is in the video and have traveled it many times. There is also a ton of that style of trail at JV that needs to be traversed before you even get to the rocks. Trust me that 2-3" of uptravel makes for a long crappy ride out there. I am plenty happy on my 4" suspension, 1.25" body, flat bottom and 6"/6" up/down shock travel.
Yup,x2, very plush ride with 6"/6" up/ down travel and flat belly and 35's.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #72
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

no need. pull the springs and push the axle to full bump & full flex in your garage...adjust the bumpstop extensions as necessary.
This is not true. Pulling the springs and flexing things out will get you close but there are still things unaccounted for like body and frame flex that you won't see in the garage.

The real test is the front and rear articulated in opposite directions, fully weighted.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #73
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
This is not true. Pulling the springs and flexing things out will get you close but there are still things unaccounted for like body and frame flex that you won't see in the garage.

The real test is the front and rear articulated in opposite directions, fully weighted.
i agree. but if you haven't done the garage tests without the springs, you got no business fully articulating in opposite directions.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #74
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I am plenty happy on my 4" suspension, 1.25" body, flat bottom and 6"/6" up/down shock travel.
I'm very interested in those measurments as I am trying to build mine to acheive those same goals. Do you have a thread on how you did it and what parts you used? Thanks!
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #75
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
As seen here on a factory stock 2004 model. I believe I actually disconnected the front sway that day.

With that backspacing, on the 31' MTR.. the tires STILL rubbed a bit on the front of the shock tower in front of vehicle. Those tires also wear pretty fast and rubbed less after about 2 years or 10,000 miles.

So there is the model to start from.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.