Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

LCG is a joke and I don't care what you think!

25K views 110 replies 53 participants last post by  snowrydr01 
#1 ·
But just for ****s and giggles, let's here your definition on it. All the bickering over this polarizing term makes me laugh. Someone give us the be all/end all definition that defies debate. Talk amongst yourselves.:rtft::wave::laugh::D;):cheers:

#4 ·
I read a bit and thought a small or no lift with 35" tires was for me.

After actually going down this road, I think it's dumb because of all the aftermarket stuff that won't clear with stock bump stops, and my woefully inadequate belly clearance. Call it what you want, but keeping my ride height that low is no longer something I am interested in chasing. There's a lot to be said for a moderate size lift, high-ish clearance fenders and a good set of swaybars and good shocks to control your Jeep on an off camber.

In the spirit of the thread, the guy above me might have a point about public perception. A lot of people think you just bump stop the **** out of your Jeep, and slap on big tires. I would not agree that is the right way to do it, if you want something that works.

#12 ·
Me, I'd love to put another inch or two on my suspension, but then I wouldn't fit in parking structures (which I have to do, since the jeep has to get me to work), so until the jeep doesn't have to take me to work every day, it's going to stay at 3.25" total lift and 35s. Eventually I want to put a flatter skid on the bottom, but I'd want to do that regardless of my lift height. But i really enjoy driving my jeep every day, so it's probably going to stay at this height for a long time, other vehicles are boring to drive, haha

#13 ·
Eh....where I wheel, I still give a couple ****s about how tall I am. There's enough slippery rock and off-camber situations that stability matters. The rocks can get pretty big so clearance matters, too. I could have 24" under the belly and still get caught up on the belly....it's just gonna happen. What matters is that I don't hit the belly much but when I do, it's generally time to pull a line.

Finding a functional, optimized combination hasn't been easy but I've done about as much as I can regarding stability and clearance.

As for LCG, I'm not a huge fan of that term since it doesn't define much. I'm pro-clearance and pro-stability and like me some up travel as well. You don't have to choose if you do it right.

#14 ·
It all depends if you like jumping and other high speed off road maneuvers. Yee-Haw!

Note that desert racing trucks aren't rocking two feet of lift, yet they are very capable for their intended purpose.

One of the most capable flat land mud trucks I've ever known rocked half it's lift via body lift, and could operate at ridiculous side angles for a truck with 40" tires. It had the center of gravity of a truck with 35" tires.

There's a lot of ways to play this game, and not all of them follow the latest rock crawling fashion craze.

#48 ·
It all depends if you like jumping and other high speed off road maneuvers. Yee-Haw!

Note that desert racing trucks aren't rocking two feet of lift, yet they are very capable for their intended purpose.

One of the most capable flat land mud trucks I've ever known rocked half it's lift via body lift, and could operate at ridiculous side angles for a truck with 40" tires. It had the center of gravity of a truck with 35" tires.

There's a lot of ways to play this game, and not all of them follow the latest rock crawling fashion craze.
over 3" of body lift is illegal in many states. im assuming that with 40" tires it neede more than 6" of lift. i could be wrong with liberal use of the sawzall.

"jumping", and "high speed desert manuvers" are kinda dumb in a swb jeep.
its lack of horsepower, and short wheel base dont do this very well.
with an engine swap, and some real suspension, a longer wheelbase tj or jk could pull it off though.

if you want to do that stuff get a raptor, you will be much better off.

#16 ·
my favorite true LCG rig was -sean-'s TJ-L. he wheeled JV and all the hardcore stuff in Colorado, with 35s/37s on 2-3" of lift. He set it up right - high clearance everything - cut out the rear wheelwells and fabricated new ones, highline fenders, outboarded rear shocks, high clearance long arms & belly, well setup shock travel with correct bumpstops with good uptravel (enough to push the axle up into the oil pan) and awesome downtravel.

Too bad most of the pictures are gone :(
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/project-long-red-one-622829/

#18 ·
A jeep with a good quality four inch suspension lift and 33s is very capable in most places, right?

Well, wouldn't you consider that same jeep with highline fenders and 37s on it even more capable? And this jeep would be considered LCG, wouldn't it?

edit: It looks like Unlimited04 beat me to it by using Sean's jeep as an example.

#19 ·
A jeep with a good quality four inch suspension lift and 33s is very capable in most places, right?

Well, wouldn't you consider that same jeep with highline fenders and 37s on it even more capable? And this jeep would be considered LCG, wouldn't it?
Bingo. Highline the body, relocate the shock mounts, minimize the bumpstops required and make full use of the suspension travel :thumbsup:

#20 ·
LCOG is just an overused term, sometimes is valid though but for the most part your jeep is either going to be built or not built, and if your going to build it right and did your research you would know better than to put a 6.5 +++ inch skyjacker/rc/whatever other horrible kit you can buy on the internet.

#24 ·
Don't know...:confused:

To me a LCOG build is getting as big a tire on the least amount of lift as you can, while also getting us much ground clearance under the belly as you can. It can be 33's on a stock suspension, 35's on a 2" suspension or 40's on 4" suspension. It's not definitive to me.....it's like asking which model Wrangler is the best........:teehee:

#22 ·
Well my xj has 4 inches of lift and 32x11.5 and around my area it's a good set up. I get more down travel than up travel. But at full articulation my rear tires drop down past my rocker. Idk what my belly clearance is but I can't see ever needing a bigger lift. Just bigger tires.

#23 ·
Say 3' savvy springs, least amount of bumpstop (absolute minimum) to get all the uptravel one can get ,!cutting sheet metal to fit 37". And that'd for guys sticking with mostly factory suspension geometry and springs. Coilovers and the like,I'm not there yet.

#25 ·
imped said:
eh....where i wheel, i still give a couple ****s about how tall i am. There's enough slippery rock and off-camber situations that stability matters. The rocks can get pretty big so clearance matters, too. I could have 24" under the belly and still get caught up on the belly....it's just gonna happen. What matters is that i don't hit the belly much but when i do, it's generally time to pull a line.

Finding a functional, optimized combination hasn't been easy but i've done about as much as i can regarding stability and clearance.

As for lcg, i'm not a huge fan of that term since it doesn't define much. I'm pro-clearance and pro-stability and like me some up travel as well. You don't have to choose if you do it right.
x2

#26 ·
I tried sticking to the low lift and big tire side of LCOG. I had about ~2" of lift, 35" tires, and a 1" deep tranny skid. Did it work? Yes, it worked. However, the breakover angle on the LJ sucked up all of that ground clearance which left me wanting for more. After redoing my suspension, relocating shocks, CA mounts etc, I now sit on about 4" of lift. With everything tucked up as high as possible, Antirocks front and rear, and outboarded shocks, I can honestly say it is more stable offroad now than it was before w/ only 2" of lift.

I could fit 35s with 2" of lift, and I did it for a while, but it wasn't right for what I do with my Jeep. Who cares what LCG means? Build your Jeep to handle the terrain you wheel. If you want to label yourself LCG because the interweb says it's the cool thing to do, you are an idiot.

#27 ·
OK, I'm going to post this picture, my Jeep behind Gerald's (Savvy) mind you both on 37"s, and what it represented for me after that trip. I never really called my Jeep a LCG rig but it was well set up to be considered so. The OP of this thread has wheeled with me and knows my rig. I followed Gerald on the trails and learned a lot. I haven't been stuck because of my "lack of clearance", but my belly skid has definitely taken a beating. The most important thing I learned with my 2.5"-3" up-travel was that as soon as I was on the bumpstops, things got very tippy and unpredictable in very off-camber situations. Kind of obvious? This never really came into play until I moved out west to the real rocks :D The other big thing "to me" was getting to the trail. Gerald booked it to the trails and in between obstacles while I could never go above 15-20mph without bottoming out the entire time!!

Fast forward to now after wheeling out here for a year. In short my Jeep is currently undergoing a re-work and will be a little taller, have more useable up and down travel, and will be a much better all-around rig for my wheeling style.

IMHO the term LCG is too cliche these days. Some people get it's true meaning, but since all the cool kids can slap on big tires with no lift, please feel free to waste your time and money doing so the industry thanks you!. Oh yea and there is only one true LCG wheeler anyway and his name is Chris Durham:rofl:

Enough of my rambles....

#31 ·
The point of LCG is high clearance, maximized suspension/shock travel with minimized bumpstops, the largest tire you can/need to run for where you wheel, stability and wheelbase maximized for the lift/tire size of choice. That's all the more I'll say. I know my opinion on the matter isn't welcome. Too many people get butthurt when you disagree with them.

#33 ·
Your opinion is always welcome to me Jimmy.

Just so you know, I swung the axle today to see if it cleared the gas tank skid. I have a full fat 1/4" of clearance between the front of the skid and the axle tube at full stuff, springs pulled, no bumpstops and the arms hitting the crossmember over the diff, well not actually the arms, but the body of the rod ends. :rofl:

#34 ·
Lol you dog.

#36 ·
LCG obviously has its place in the Jeep community or people wouldnt be building rigs like that.... It all boils down to your needs and wheeling style/location. IF I were to build LCG I would have to use silvergoats olf rig as an example... 1 bad mofo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.