Larger oil filter for 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Larger oil filter for 4.0?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Mariner2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Larger oil filter for 4.0?

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows of a larger filter from another vehicle/manufacturer fits onto a stock 4.0L. I have heard about some ford oil filters fitting, but I could not pin down a model. I know that you can cross manufacturers and often get a much better/larger filter for the same or often less money. My girlfriend has a TDI and I use a Caterpillar filter that is about 3 times as large as the stock filter from VW. Thanks for the help!

Mariner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it's an oil filter off a 5.0 Ford Mustang. I use the Mobil-1 filter M1-301. Holds an additional 1/2 quart oil.

Denis
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yea you can run a larger filter but, its not going to buy you any additional protection. I would just use a regular Purolater or Wix. Its a common misconception that larger is better and thats not always the case. Its no different than the people who think 20w-50 is still the **** when yet a engine set up for a lighter oil will work just as good.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wix 51515
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wix 51515, Napa1515,21515, Motorcraft FL1A, Purolater 30001 and the Orange can of Doom the Fram PH8A all have the same valving, gasket diameter etc as the stock Jeep filter does.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj View Post
yea you can run a larger filter but, its not going to buy you any additional protection. Its a common misconception that larger is better and thats not always the case.
There's also no harm in running the larger filter (since it's an exact fit) and having additional filter media surface area to provide an extra margin of protection (should you stretch an oil chage interval a bit) is certainly not a bad thing. More filtration is NEVER a bad thing unless it creates a pressure drop, which is not a concern here. I used to run a remote-mount 2 quart motorhome filter on a car I used to own that had a tendency to foam the oil (small sump). The extra total oil system capacity added by the motorhome filter effectively solved the problem I was having.

I run the FL-1A equivalent from one of 3 manufacturers (In order of preference: Baldwin, Wix and Purolator Pure-One) and am quite happy with the results.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
ArmyMud
2007 JK Wrangler 

be careful switching oil filters with high volume ones, after you run the engine and the fluid level goes back down make sure its filled properly, the larger filter will of course hold more oil. Diff ones also can have diff flow rates (single-double filtration layers) and diff fillter material. If you change to a double you could be putting stress on an already prone to fail 4.0 oil pump. Its a great engine, but the oil pump is sorta lacking already and double later can slow down flow to the heads. soo, causeing faster engine wear on the valvetrain. so , yes can cause harm, with absolutely no up sides. stay with stock. ~your local mechanic...... and if i remember correctly, the threads are the same as a common ford filter, but the gaskey on the reciever flange will barely make a seal leaving a potential for a leak. go with factory intented high capacity oil filters if you want a larger one, i believe wix makes ones for this purpose.
ArmyMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMud View Post
be careful switching oil filters with high volume ones, after you run the engine and the fluid level goes back down make sure its filled properly, the larger filter will of course hold more oil. Diff ones also can have diff flow rates (single-double filtration layers) and diff fillter material. If you change to a double you could be putting stress on an already prone to fail 4.0 oil pump. Its a great engine, but the oil pump is sorta lacking already and double later can slow down flow to the heads. soo, causeing faster engine wear on the valvetrain. so , yes can cause harm, with absolutely no up sides. stay with stock. ~your local mechanic...... and if i remember correctly, the threads are the same as a common ford filter, but the gaskey on the reciever flange will barely make a seal leaving a potential for a leak. go with factory intented high capacity oil filters if you want a larger one, i believe wix makes ones for this purpose.
The short filter specified for the 4.0L and the longer FL-1A equivalent from your brand of choice have the exact same gasket diameter, 3/4"-16 thread pattern, bypass valve rating, micron rating, etc....in other words, the only difference is the length of the outer can and the filter media inside of it. As further proof, Ford used to specify the FL-1A and the FL-300 (the half-height version of the FL-1A and probably the closest equivalent for the 4.0L filter from the Motorcraft line) as alternates for one another on several applications, so that must mean it performs the same in terms of flow/restriction/etc. I've been running FL-1A equivalents on my Jeeps for 6 years now with no leaks or other issues.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I run a Purolator 30001, and have for years. I used to cut my old filters open, but haven't in a long time. The difference between the short and long filter is only the filter media. Everything else is the same. If you understand how a filter works, there is a bypass valve in every filter. If it didn't have a bypass valve, than you would risk an oil filter explosion. This used to happen in the past until they invented the valve. So essentially what you are doing by using the longer filter is DOUBLING the available filter media, which would make the filter less-likely to send oil down the bypass. There is no easy way to know if your oil is going through the media or bypass. In this way, I believe the longer filter is better.
Another advantage, tho neglagible, is a slight cooler-effect of the filter itself. I don't know that it matters at all, but it's worth a mention.
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run the Motorcraft FL-1A over the stock filter simply because it costs less at WallyWorld! The gasket is the exact same diameter as the Mopar it replaced. It never leaks, and because the can is longer, it's easier to remove it.
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I believe that if the oil and filter are both changed at the proper intervals, there is no significant benefit to running a larger oil filter. One, the very slight amount of extra oil is not significant where cooling is concerned. But on the larger surface area of a larger filter, that just allows it to filter longer before it starts clogging... the larger surface area doesn't actually filter any better... just longer before it can clog up. So if you aren't looking for a longer change interval, I personally don't see any benefit to a larger oil filter. Not to mention you have to buy a 7th quart of oil and use just a very small percentage of it to have the same oil leve.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Makes sense Jerry, but on mine using the larger filter it still holds right at 6 quarts.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
.. but on mine using the larger filter it still holds right at 6 quarts.
I agree, there's not enough extra volume held in most slightly larger oil filters to make a noticeable difference. I only mentioned the extra oil needed if it was a significantly larger oil filter.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I agree, there's not enough extra volume held in most slightly larger oil filters to make a noticeable difference. I only mentioned the extra oil needed if it was a significantly larger oil filter.
There is a larger filter than the PH8A/FL1A series filter than fits on the 4.0? That was the one I was referring to.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
There is a larger filter than the PH8A/FL1A series filter than fits on the 4.0? That was the one I was referring to.
Fram # PH966 and Wix 51773. You don't want that filter. It's only good to 30 microns where the PH16 and PH8A sized filters are good to 20 microns.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.