Lacking Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lacking Power

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
brentonjeepfitz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lacking Power

For some reason whenever I give my car some gas it gives off a whistleing noise, and when I get off the gas it goes away. I am guessing it has something to do with the exhaust ( I just got a new muffler and tailpipe since the last one got ripped off in the woods, and I blew everything out of the cat cuz it was broken up, didnt have enough money for the whole new system at the time. But yesterday I was going up a decent sized paved hill and when i gave it gas it sounded like my car was almost about to stall out like it had no power to make it up the hill. Any ideas what this could be? thanks alot for the help.

brentonjeepfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
tr0mbley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a vacuum leak.
tr0mbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So the cat isn't repaired, yet? Could be vacuum, yes...but there may be other problems. How long since you changed your plugs and filter?

Also, a Jeep is not a car.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
brentonjeepfitz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for calling it a car, it is way more than that on so many levels. But i'm just upset that its running like this i finally got my brand new soft top and push bar and lights on it and now its running poorly. But I will have to check to see if it is a vaccum leak that would be much easier than a whole new exhaust system.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
brentonjeepfitz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i did a full tune up no less than 3 months ago
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

is the whistling coming from under the car? when my 97 TJ needed a cat it acted very much like what u are describing only mine made kind of a hiss/whistle noise. i know u said u gutted the cat but what u are describing sounds like it. u sure u got all of it?
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
brentonjeepfitz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

maybe there is some left in it, because it is a hiss/whistling noise coming from under the car, i guess my bushwacker flares are gonna have to wait another month

Tags
stall , stalling , power loss , tj , wrangler , exhaust , vacuum , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.