L.E.D. dome and floor light help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > L.E.D. dome and floor light help

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
tjallday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

L.E.D. dome and floor light help

I'm thinking of replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs in both the dome and the floor if that is possible with my 97. Could someone who has done it point me in the right direction.

tjallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lucky for you I have a '97 and have done this already and saved all the info for future use:

Bulbs:

Interior-
Dash/HVAC Controls: LED 74
Courtesy Lamps, Under Dash: Bulb 89/LED 67
Dome Light: Bulb 912/LED 921/T13

Exterior-
Backup/Reverse: Bulb/LED1156
Stop/Turn: LED 1157
Front Turn: LED 3157
Side Markers: Bulb 168/LED WLED Miniature wedge bulb
Headlights: H 6024

I use http://www.superbrightleds.com, they are top notch and their site is much easier to use than v-leds.com. This link will also help: http://www.superbrightleds.com/bulb_cross.php. Click on the links in the left column from the info I gave you to take you to the exact LED.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
tjallday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks a lot!!!
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
tjallday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't you need a flasher box for the led turn signals?? And does it matter what length the bulbs for dome and courtesy lights are. Also how does the dome light open up, with a screw driver?
Thanks I appreciate it!
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjallday View Post
Don't you need a flasher box for the led turn signals?? And does it matter what length the bulbs for dome and courtesy lights are. Also how does the dome light open up, with a screw driver?
Thanks I appreciate it!
You don't need a new flasher. You can do the flasher mod on stu's website. Length doesn't matter, as long as it's one of the WLEDs it will fit the dome light and one of the 1157 tail lights for the courtesy lights. Flat head screwdriver to pop the cover off.

Warning about about the dome light, the bulb is mounted vertically, and as you may know LEDs are directional and aren't 360 degrees. It pretty much just shines the straight to the side and not down. I've been trying to think of a different way to do it with all the little LED doodads on their site.
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Way better dome idea. Warm white led color
image-1986138886.jpg  
inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've been wanting to upgrade my interior lighting too--beyond just the gauges. There's not enough light on the inside when I need it, so I'm hoping to do something like the above with a big grid of LED's in the dome... and either accent lighting under the dash with the courtesy lights or maybe "mood lighting"
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglisleslie View Post
Way better dome idea. Warm white led color
How does it connect? I figured I might just get a panel like that and splice it in.
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
tjallday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
You don't need a new flasher. You can do the flasher mod on stu's website. Length doesn't matter, as long as it's one of the WLEDs it will fit the dome light and one of the 1157 tail lights for the courtesy lights. Flat head screwdriver to pop the cover off.

Warning about about the dome light, the bulb is mounted vertically, and as you may know LEDs are directional and aren't 360 degrees. It pretty much just shines the straight to the side and not down. I've been trying to think of a different way to do it with all the little LED doodads on their site.
the site has 360 degree bulbs that would seem to fit. They are wleds.
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
How does it connect? I figured I might just get a panel like that and splice it in.
The ones like that in my dome lights came with an adapter that fits into the plug that is there.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
The ones like that in my dome lights came with an adapter that fits into the plug that is there.
How do you attach it? Double sided tape?

Can you try and get a picture illustrating how much light it actually gives off in the dark? If at all possible, of course.. You happy with it?
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
How do you attach it? Double sided tape?

Can you try and get a picture illustrating how much light it actually gives off in the dark? If at all possible, of course.. You happy with it?
Yep, double sided tape. Will have to try to take picture tonight. I'm happy.
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds dumb, I know, but I was attempting to remove the cover from my dome light, and it just pulled the light itself down out of the sound bar. How do you take the cover off of the dome light. Obviously I'm too dumb to figure it out.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it [the cover] prys/pops off!?!

Tags
dome light , LED lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.