Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

KWIT YNIN, git ta cuttin.. stuffin 37's under 2.5" lift.

184K views 349 replies 87 participants last post by  mudb8 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY factory fender Highline, KWIT YNIN, git ta cuttin.. stuffin 37's under 2.5" lift.

homebrew DIY highlines

before......

after......

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
what you see there is my idea of a lcg build.... a 3.25" lift with out a lift of any kind. mine is the equivelent of almost 7" lift. and will be getting 37" truXus m/t's very soon..

still gotta finish up the rear flares...

this is something I'm willing to help with or do for others interested, I have the skills and tools to make it happen.

there was a few under hood issues to address, nothing overly hard tho...
relacated the wiper washer bottle, lowered the fuse block, ditched the factory air box.. pretty much just moving things around..

here's a few pics of progress..

pulled the fenders and cut the hood..

fixed a busted bolt..

redriled the holes, trimed the suport and made a support strap....

#3 ·
inner fender/battery box support... for both sides...

hack off the entire sides and bottom of the bracket...
I had the little guy (8 year old) weld a piece of angle iron on the bottom section which gets bolted back in the stock location, then to the bottom of the upper half...

#4 ·
getting the fenders to form the new curve on the grill, takes the removal of the splash gaurd/fendre support up front... and a couple new holes in the top corner of the fender... my fenders wer bent up to begin with, I think it actually made to harder to get them to form...

#5 · (Edited)
I relocated the washer bottle to the rear, it actually fits nicely on it's new bracket... I made an extra also for a pattern.

edit... on manual trannies, the washer bottle wont fit here due to the clutch master cylinder.

#6 ·
on the electronics I removed the bracket and tossed it after a few attemts to reuse it or part of it. I ended up tapping the holes ane mounting it directly to the fender, an after thought is usiing some shock bushings between or some sort of isolator...

#7 ·
the fuse and realy box mount..

the bracket got ditched on it also. I drilled three holes through the bottom of the plastic tow of which use the original bracket bolts and the 3rd got a nut on the botton of the inner fender. I also put a strap in there to support the plastic box, hope that'll last...

#8 · (Edited)
the battery fit right back where it was, only 3.25"'s higher.

to get the hold down clamp on I had to raise the elecronics up a little.....

#9 · (Edited)
the rear is still in progress. well when I get back home to finish it anyhow.... EDIT: for 33's no cutting is needed, 35's need a slight amount removed at the rear of the fender well..

without a body lift, the most you can gain in up travel for the rear by cutting and bending is 1.5". which is still room for 37's with a 2.5" lift and the proper bumpstop length. I intend to put a 1.25" body lift on to create room for a flat skid... completely flat..

I yanked the flares and cut the body right up the the spot welds.
I'll be rolling them over for the maximum clearance without building new fender wells....
I also have moved my axle back a couple inches previously, looks like it'l be getting moved forward and inch so I don't have to move the canister in the right rear.

#11 ·
sweet!, I've been trying to get the time for about 4 months to get started on it, now I can hardly wait to get done..

#41 ·
LOL, lets say... torque stressed springs, OME makes specific position, longer ones for a reason!

them Rancho's have been getting hammered on there since 03

#14 ·
from a yj guy i give you mad props. consider it crawled!!

#15 ·
mudb8

Lookin good - it'll be worth all the work. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
thanks guys. I'll be getting er done asap, I'll be gone for at least a week, then I'll be after some more cuttin..

It'll straighten up when I get rid of that smile ans toasted winch mount...

#19 ·
yep, it's a 28ks, and my dog house....

heres the crew....

at the house on the track..

china hat, bend, or.

the dunes, florence, or....

#20 ·
got er about done..

I finished up my rear flares today, sunday I did a highline project for a guy that came down from canada, I sent him home on 37" mtr's and a 3.5" re superflex lift.....

some pics of the cutting...

trimed up the filler bezel for the flares..

so now all I need Is those big 37" tires!

heres the project I did on sunday and finished up on monday with some fine tuning for maxed out flex... I don't have the finished pics loaded yet so... later.

#22 ·
heres some of my sunday project flexed on the DIY highlines, 3.5" re and 37's...

finding out how much needs to be hacked off the rear..

the rear flare installed...

37's rolled up next to the 33's before i started....

#25 ·
Looks great, awesome work :2thumbsup:

#26 ·
I'm more than willing to walk through the process. I think the only thing I don't have real good pics of is how i put together the fender bracket at the firewall. there will be a slight distortion of the fender up front when it forms to the core support up higher, it can be minimized with some more cutting and an added support bracket. both jeeps I've done so far had bent up fenders to begin with so they aren't as noticable. there is also a thread on higherground.com that someone else did and jpmagazine.com I did as well, it may have more details i didn't think of when i wrote up this thread...

the rubicon d44 axles have 5.13's and chromolly shafts going in. they'll hold up to most all but some real abuse, the future does hold 40's and d60's for me though.

the canadian tj with 37's got finished in the dark, so I'm anxiously waiting some good pics of that myself. mine only needs some 37's bolted on it to complete my 2.5" lift and 37" tires, all the triming was finished up yesterday... I do have a couple pics of it in it's current state... still with 34's on it.

it really isn't a hard operation to do, with the exception of brackets I welded using pieces of the originals, i only used a 4 1/2" hand grinder and went through about 12 cuttoff wheels between two jeeps.

I must say, the washer bottle wont fit where i put mine, next to the master cylinder, with a standard tranny, the clutch cylinder is in the way, as I found out on the canadian 04tj.

#29 ·
x2 that front bumper.lol looks great except for that thing.
That bumper would probably eat 95% of the rigs on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.