Knock/clunk while accelerating from rear drive shaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Knock/clunk while accelerating from rear drive shaft

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
wyatt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, I know this sound all too well. I went to the (previous owners) shop that did the rear end (new axels and all) 2k miles ago and they SAID they pulled the cover and found nothing wrong, happily suggesting it was my Xcase and that they would do it for a nice $1000. Frustrated, I pulled my transfer case, split it, completely rebuilt it (finding nothing wrong). Next on the list.. throw-out bearing, I went to a tranny guy and he showed me it was too much backlash in the rear end. Went back to the SAME gear shop with a different attitude and all of a sudden they broke down and said, yea we'll take another look. 4 hours later, They found broken axels. I got 2 new OEM free axels and the rear end completely rebuilt for FREE. The knocking is significantly reduced but this gear shop isn't a great shop at all so I still think there is a small amount of backlash in the rear end that they couldn't shim right. Oh well, another reason to go to the 44 when i take it to an actual "4wheel" shop. Hope this helps, never trust the mechanic

wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Having a simliar issue which seemed to happen right after I got a replacement rear axle. If I get under my jeep, I can move the rear driveshaft back and fourth (i'm not talking about spinning it) There is some space inbetween the ujoint head and where it connects to the rear axle. Is this normal? I dont recall any play before.

Axle is used, the ujoint is brand new. I even tried taking the unjoint off and putting a newer one on, there is still play when I install the rear driveshaft. Almost makes me think that axle/driveshaft connection (the piece that connections the driveshaft to the rear axle) is bent outwards? Is this common?

Is there supposed to be any play in the rear driveshaft?
Vici0usX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
JVRuby
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That play is normal, as far as I have been told. It is called backlash and every driveshaft/axle should have some for normal operation. Some gearheads even claim a 1/4 turn can be made. On my Rubi I can turn the shaft a little, but enough that it makes a small clunk at either end. As far as the space between the u-joint and rear yoke, I am afraid a picture will be necessary to determine what you're describing.
JVRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
1tufrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same frustrating clunking sound from my 05 Rubicon after installing a Coast Drive Line rear CV shaft. After trying everything suspension related (I thought it was a loose control arm bolt) I then remembered reading something about this same topic on a Ford Super Duty forum. The solution posted on there was to lube the spline of the rear DS. I crawled under there and shot the spline grease fitting full of grease and the problem went away.
1tufrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Toyota folks had similar issues with the Dana driveshafts, the shaft when it compressed or moved in the splined area couldn't move as the compression had no where to relieve to thus causing the clunk. Some people drilled the area by the splines to allow the area to relieve pressure when the shaft compressed, allowing it to move and not clunk. Just a thought.

Denis
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
JVRuby
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vici0usX View Post
Having a simliar issue which seemed to happen right after I got a replacement rear axle. If I get under my jeep, I can move the rear driveshaft back and fourth (i'm not talking about spinning it) There is some space inbetween the ujoint head and where it connects to the rear axle. Is this normal? I dont recall any play before.

Axle is used, the ujoint is brand new. I even tried taking the unjoint off and putting a newer one on, there is still play when I install the rear driveshaft. Almost makes me think that axle/driveshaft connection (the piece that connections the driveshaft to the rear axle) is bent outwards? Is this common?

Is there supposed to be any play in the rear driveshaft?
Just so you are aware, my issue was due to failed RE Poly bushings. When applying low-end torque the upper and lower control arm bushings, which had oval'd, caused the bolts to "slosh" in their housing.
Unread 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #22
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey JV. My uppers are fairly new, they are adjustable as well. My lower are procomp fixed control arms (weird setup I know). I got the uppers for a killer price so i bought them. You have the RE Lower/Upper? Adjustable or FIXED?

My problem started happening after I got my new axle, so it could be the control arms, but doesnt sound like it. Is there any way to test that or just replace and hope it works?
Unread 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
JVRuby
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vici0usX View Post
Hey JV. My uppers are fairly new, they are adjustable as well. My lower are procomp fixed control arms (weird setup I know). I got the uppers for a killer price so i bought them. You have the RE Lower/Upper? Adjustable or FIXED?

My problem started happening after I got my new axle, so it could be the control arms, but doesnt sound like it. Is there any way to test that or just replace and hope it works?
I have RE ADJ uppers and fixed lowers, SF joints at the axle and SR (poly) at the frame. I was convinced it was coming from the axle but actually found the issue with the frame-side, upper mounts. I brought a laptop in the Jeep and fed a webcam down thru the drain plug hole.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/wRCAG53Ttsg
You can hear the acceleration, a bang, then see the upper arm slosh back a considerable amount - this is before I replaced all bushings around. This made the clunk go away.
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #24
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVRuby View Post
I have RE ADJ uppers and fixed lowers, SF joints at the axle and SR (poly) at the frame. I was convinced it was coming from the axle but actually found the issue with the frame-side, upper mounts. I brought a laptop in the Jeep and fed a webcam down thru the drain plug hole.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/wRCAG53Ttsg
You can hear the acceleration, a bang, then see the upper arm slosh back a considerable amount - this is before I replaced all bushings around. This made the clunk go away.
Genius! I never thought of using my laptop and a webcam. I have that weird sf joint as well on my axle side, its probably the same exact setup you have. I'm going to do a test drive as well and check out the control arms and the driveshaft.

Thanks for the follow up!

Tags
drive shaft , knock , noise , pinion angle , u joint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.