Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Key on clicking sound, rough idle on cold start, pcm resetting itself

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nshock 
#1 ·
I have a 00 TJ 4.0. Last year I failed emission, but they gave me a one time exception due to my readiness monitors would go from 3 to 4 ready after driving it awhile, however it would reset back to 3 (which I guess are the continuous monitors) after I turned off the key.

Another problem is when key on, I get a clicking sound from the part which I don't know what it is or it's function and whether the clicking sound is normal or indicating a problem.

Also I usually have the key on for 5 seconds or so to prime before starting the engine. If I start it right away, the engine will usually quit. No matter what, if I start it after letting it sit awhile it has a rough idle to it and it feels rough if I gas it. but it does smooth out and the problems goes away.

Now I don't know if some or all of this problem is the result of a faulty pcm not being able to hold it's memory or something else. I did open my pcm and checked the caps and it looked brand new. In fact I noticed the unit was re-manufactured and tested on 08/2007 so it isn't that old.

If someone can help me with this so I can pass emissions.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hardly drive it and usually if I do go some place with it, it's on my trailer being towed by my truck. Yeah but I did neglect it and forgot about it until I pulled out my obd reader and noticed the problem again. I've actually used this forum to help fix numerous of problems from faulty crankcase sensor to doing a self flush of the transmission due to water. It really wasn't on the top of my priority since it really wasn't an inconvenience because ultimately it ran great, but I am stumped and it's why I'm hoping someone might being able to help me so I can pass emission and avoid taking it to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.