Keeps turning over and over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Keeps turning over and over

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Ajl9791
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keeps turning over and over

quick questions guys,More than a few times my 04 Rubi with 55k on her will turn over about a dozen times or so and then start . Have other people had this problem?I searched the forum and didnt find to much.Any "quick" fixes .Also a few times when turning off a deep ticking or clicking noise comes from the engine as it stops running ,usually after a long run .This hapens after the ignition is off and engine rpm's are winding down .It sounds junky.Thanks everyone

Ajl9791 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
YellerJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 00 SE is doing the same thing. Usually, this means the little valves in the fuel pump are stuck open. Once you turn it off, the fuel just drains out of the lines and back into the tank. So, the next time you crank it, your first few cranks are actually just filling the lines back up. It's annoying, and it will get worse, but for about $100, Napa sells the fuel pump.
No noises after shutoff though. Sorry, hope this helps!
YellerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

try turning the key to run (the postion just before you engage the starter, in case you don't know what I'm saying) and letting it sit there for a second or two before cranking. Mine does it sometimes and this seems to do the trick for free.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

^^^^x2....I do this...or you can buy a new fuel sender unit...I decided to save my $$$ and just turn the key and wait a few seconds...

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Next time this happens, narrow down the problem by testing for fuel and spark.

Push the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if you get a squirt of fuel.

If so, next pull a plug wire and check for spark.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Ajl9791
2004 TJ Wrangler 

thanks everyone ,ill give the key turn a try.
Unread 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
pjleslie03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am having this same issue. What did you end up doing to fix it?
pjleslie03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Ajl9791
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In all honesty, it got better on its own.I was going to bring it in to the dealer under the extended warranty but murphy laws came in and fixed it so now i get to wait and see.The key turning ideas didnt work for me .
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your hard starting could be from a dirty IAC. Take the two little screws off and clean it real good with throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush. Clean the throat above and below the throttle plate along with inside the IAC ports.

If you don't know where it's at, it's on the passenger side of the throttle body just a little above the throttle plate, pointing to the rear. No need to disconnect the wiring harness from it to clean it.
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had this issue and mine was weak battery. It finally croaked last week really didn't realize it was bad until it just decide not to turn over one afternoon. Replaced it and now it starts when I shake the keys at it. A quick battery test at your favorite auto parts store might at least eliminate that as a problem.
wtroger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.