Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #61
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

Why not have your expert post up on here with his input to help with the discussion? (Not dissing you)

Input is always welcome...
LOL..... Joe very well could be racing this weekend... he runs a top fuel dragster and has built transmissions for quite a few top teams in many different motorsports besides drag racing. He knows what he is talking about and doesn't need your approval.

Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #62
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby J. yates View Post
LOL..... Joe very well could be racing this weekend... he runs a top fuel dragster and has built transmissions for quite a few top teams in many different motorsports besides drag racing. He knows what he is talking about and doesn't need your approval.
I didn't ask for his approval, I asked for his input.

Again Bobbie, you troll...
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #63
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up! I am a little worried with that setup here in Louisiana where there is mostly mud on our trails. Huss the worst thing would be clogging the unit up. I have the new PSC trans and power steering cooler kit ordered which seems to be very nice. I will take pics once installed. I am doing the flexlite rad, fan, and thermostat setup along with the high flow water pump all at the same time.
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklehead

Again Bobby, you troll...
Yah.... that really hurt my feelings LoL.

Face it..... you just don't like it when someone has a different perspective which makes your's appear wrong. Seriously.... ATF is hot exiting the torque converter.... that's it's job so other than stuffing your dash with a bunch of fancy gauge nonsense you aren't accomplishing a thing for your transmission. Pan temp is the most important data point. The rest is for folks with to much OCD.
Unread 09-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #65
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Face it..... you just don't like it when someone has a different perspective which makes your's appear wrong. Seriously.... ATF is hot exiting the torque converter.... that's it's job so other than stuffing your dash with a bunch of fancy gauge nonsense you aren't accomplishing a thing for your transmission. Pan temp is the most important data point. The rest is for folks with to much OCD.
You did give me a laugh for the day, and for that I thank you!

This is my OCD filter...

And yes, it's obvious that you're a troll...
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #66
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post

Why there? What is the difference between there and the output line? You already know it's going to be cooler.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #67
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Enough of the discussion on where to put the temp sensor, you're wrecking the intent of the thread guys. Please, it's an on-going thing between you and it doesn't need to continue in this Derale cooler thread! Grump.

I found some scrap 1/4" steel in my garage today, turned it into a quick guard for the bottom of the tranny cooler. Not quite a true skidplate but it will help protect the cooler against all but the most determined sharp rock. There's about 3/4" between it and the cooler so it won't restrict air flow through the cooler in the least. Most of us won't need anything like this and my air tank in that same location in my previous tank never took a hit but you can never be too careful when there are rocks around.
coolerguard.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #68
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good Jerry. You'd have to put a little effort into finding a rock to damage it.

Thanks for the write up.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #69
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Enough of the discussion on where to put the temp sensor, you're wrecking the intent of the thread guys. Please, it's an on-going thing between you and it doesn't need to continue in this Derale cooler thread! Grump.

I found some scrap 1/4" steel in my garage today, turned it into a quick guard for the bottom of the tranny cooler. Not quite a true skidplate but it will help protect the cooler against all but the most determined sharp rock. There's about 3/4" between it and the cooler so it won't restrict air flow through the cooler in the least. Most of us won't need anything like this and my air tank in that same location in my previous tank never took a hit but you can never be too careful when there are rocks around.
So do you have the fan switched in the cab for water crossings Jerry? Seems to me you probably have more chance of drowning the fan than smacking the cooler with a rock. I've had 3 different coolers in that spot and have never had any of them on a rock.... water is a whole 'nother story tho. I've had water up to the top of the rear flares on the 'Con as well as up in Monache.
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #70
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

You did give me a laugh for the day, and for that I thank you!

This is my OCD filter...

And yes, it's obvious that you're a troll...
That is probably the 1 billionth time that pic has been posted LOL. Thanx!
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #71
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is probably the 1 billionth time that pic has been posted LOL. Thanx!
Your welcome...
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #72
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just an Observation:

recently I have been to the dealership because my 2->1 manual shifting (in some situations) seemed to be not working properly.

I have a B&M gauge and sender in the hot line.
The technician connected his mobile scan tool (DRBIII? it looks like a rubber armored multimeter with lots of buttons) to the OBDII port while I was driving around on road ... My B&M was showing 160*F ... HIS SCAN TOOL was saying 176*F !!!???
(But other than that he could not find anything strange ... I still have the 2-1 manual downshift issues especially if the B&M is showing around 200*F doing some soft sand driving)

so some questions arise:
1. the Jeep hand scanner gets his readings from where? (form the built in sender or calculated? Is the factory sender really in the coolest spot of the tranny?)
2. Why is my B&M in the HOT line showing less? inaccurate?!
(actually I doubt that, since I have a aux tranny cooler in front of the rad and these 160*F readings seem to be common in low load situations as stated by so many posts on JF)
3. Is it possible the factory sender is wrong/defective?

Something is wrong with the temp readings ... and my strange shifting behaviour could be explained if the pcm thinks the tranny is too hot and switching to another shifting table

In all these discussions I never found a hint about the reliability and accuracy of all the different sender and gauges ... (and at the end the factory temp sender/calculations is all what counts for the shifting tables )
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #73
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed for reference. Lot of good info here (minus the bickering).
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #74
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE (slightly off topic :

hehehe ... just an hour ago I pulled the trigger for a radical solution to my 42RLE woes and OPDA nightmares (including significant additional grunt)

got a COMPLETE low mileage (< 50k) and clean 2001 Holden/Chevrolet Caprice with built in LS1/4L60E ... for USD 3000,-

starting to collect parts for the swap now
until then I have some time to drive the Caprice a bit and check/verify that everything is ok

I will save my still in the box Derale 13960 30000 GVW cooler for the monster
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #75
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So could you say the folks in this thread have done their best to "Derale" it?
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.