Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor View Post
One note: it doesn't seem they make a specific kit for the LJ, and although the TJ kit would work, the cooler won't be nearly as well protected since the LCA mount will be 10" further away.

Just a thought from a guy who owns an LJ and is always wondering how long the 42RLE is going to survive.
Yeah, I had originally responded to this writeup elsewhere, but all day I've been pondering this issue. Also just thinking about the length of the provided lines, etc.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
counselor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Yeah, I had originally responded to this writeup elsewhere, but all day I've been pondering this issue. Also just thinking about the length of the provided lines, etc.
Well, for me, in south Louisiana, rocks aren't a problem, but that cooler would be caked with about 40 lbs. of mud the first time I took it out, so for my application, in front of the grill is the only way to go.

Question for those who know more about transmissions than me---will idling in park for an extended time frame (six hours) overheat the transmission? I think the torque converter is sitting there just basically slipping, but it's not in gear and there's no load. Just curious as I don't have a temp gauge.

And to answer the invariable question, because I sleep in my Jeep on trips with the A/C running.
counselor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was reading the FSM and it appears the engine computer calculated the transmission temp to be 260 degrees or hotter when my engine was overheating so badly last month. My transmission went into a limp-home mode where it was barely shifting and after reading what the FSM says, that pretty well confirms it was really hot... actually hotter than I suspected it was.

Based on how the FSM describes how the transmission shifts at various temps, mine had reached 260 degrees last month. What confirmed the transmission was getting too hot was that it went into a limp-home mode several times and was barely shifting when that happened. It started shifting ok again after it cooled off.

The '04 FSM says the transmission goes into an "Super Overheat Schedule" when the computer estimates the transmission to be 260 degrees or hotter which is calculated based on "torque converter slip speed, gear, engine temperature, and vehicle speed". So based on what the FSM is saying and how my transmission was shifting at its worst, my 42RLE got to over 260 degrees when the Jeep was overheating.

Per the '04 FSM...

Hot: Oil temperature at start up above 27C (80F)
> Goes to a Overheat schedule above 115C (240F)
oil temperature
> Normal operation (upshifts, kickdowns, and
coastdowns)
> Full EMCC, No PEMCC except to engage
FEMCC, except at closed throttle at speeds above
113-133 Km/h (70 - 83 MPH)
Overheat: Oil temperature above 115C (240F) or
engine coolant temperature above 118C (244F)
> Goes to a Hot below 110C (230F) oil temperature
or a Super Overheat above 115C (240F) oil
temperature
> Delayed 2-3 upshift 40-51 Km/h (25-32 MPH)
> Delayed 3-4 upshift 66-77 Km/h (41-48 MPH)
> 3rd gear FEMCC from 48-77 Km/h (30-48 MPH)
> 3rd gear PEMCC from 43-50 Km/h (27-31 MPH)
Super Overheat: Oil temperature above 127C
(260F)
> Goes back to a Overheat below 115C (240F) oil
temperature
> All a Overheat shift schedules features apply
> 2nd gear PEMCC above 35 Km/h (22 MPH)
> Above 35 Km/h (22 MPH) the torque converter
will not unlock unless the throttle is closed (i.e. at
80 Km/h (50 MPH) a 4th FEMCC to 3rd FEMCC
shift will be made during a part throttle kickdown
or a 4th FEMCC to 2nd PEMCC shift will
be made at wide open throttle) or if a wide open
throttle 2nd PEMCC to 1 kickdown is made.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor View Post
Question for those who know more about transmissions than me---will idling in park for an extended time frame (six hours) overheat the transmission?
Nope.

When the transmission is in park, the torque coverter isn't under load and the fluid pump is not running (32RH) and with the 42RLE the pump does run when in park...
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool write up!
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #21
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work Jerry, added to the FAQ.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to see you've finally gotten around to doing this, I've been waiting on your writeup on the Derale unit before I took the plunge. Looks like a nice product, although I've already got an air tank in that location. Might have to re-route a few things but I'm sure it's worth it.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
..........I am concerned with water and your set up. Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Reed
Bump for either Jerry or Blaine.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good question. Unless you wheel in salt water, no worries with it getting wet from water. You would not want to drive through deep water with the fan on but you could wire in a simple on off switch for that possibility... much like owners of jeeps with electric radiator fans do if they play in deep water.

Of course the fan will not normally be on so the need to turn the fan off when you're in deep water should be a rare event.

Unread 09-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry- I'll give you a big thanks for doing all the research on this as I was just getting ready to do the same.

The same tranny in my '05 threw an engine code (p0700) a few weeks back when I was just about to run out of my 70k powertrain warranty. No noticable symptoms, just the dashlight. Got in in last week (over 70k miles by then) and they diagnosed it. Ended up being the 'fuel saving' TC clutch overheated/let loose and sent shards of clutch material into the clutchpacks, pump, valve body, and radiator cooler. All the plates were scored. Complete rebuild from front to back including pump and TC totalling a bit over $2800 in dealer charged parts and labor. Luckily I only had to pay the $100 deductable.

Going to add a cooler to preserve the new trans this time around.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

why didn't I find this 3 years ago before I installed mine in the front jerry, does the fan push the air away from the tub or suck it onto the bottom of the tub, does it matter? hot floor? just curious. great write up.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #27
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
why didn't I find this 3 years ago before I installed mine in the front jerry, does the fan push the air away from the tub or suck it onto the bottom of the tub, does it matter? hot floor? just curious. great write up.
The fan pulls air up through the cooler from the bottom where it's cooler

Unread 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
gremlinsteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i installed this kind of cooler/fan mod about 1 year ago. wired it into a toggle switch in fact. my 42rle has never seen more than 175-180 temps on the hottest of days in the longest of idle/slow moving times.

these temps are with outside air temps close to what you guys are seeing in your area btw. if i get air temps in the 80-90 range she sits at 140 or so and is happy
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Price?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Price?
$309 at places like www.Amazon.com and www.summitracing.com. It lists for $339.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.