Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #241
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Because it does not matter.
Which way the ATF flows through the aux cooler inside the radiator doesn't matter, that is true. The difference between which is the inlet & which is the outlet on the bottom of the radiator does matter to the plumbing from the transmission though. The ATF flows one direction through the radiator cooler with 2002 and older TJs and the opposite direction with 2003 and newer TJs. That is due to the transmission's hard coolant lines, 32RH vs. 42RLE, and how they are bent & positioned for their connections to the cooler inside the radiator.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #242
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Which way the ATF flows through the aux cooler inside the radiator doesn't matter, that is true. The difference between which is the inlet & which is the outlet on the bottom of the radiator does matter to the plumbing from the transmission though. The ATF flows one direction through the radiator cooler with 2002 and older TJs and the opposite direction with 2003 and newer TJs. That is due to the transmission's hard coolant lines, 32RH vs. 42RLE, and how they are bent & positioned for connection to the cooler inside the radiator.
Correct, that's why I left him a PM where I could call him and possibly explain better.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #243
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Once on my previous TJ I had a B&M transmission cooler in stacked plate design. I cannot recall the model number anymore ...

The instructions clearly warned from swapping in and outlet. Flow direction was predetermined.

Reason: it was a cooler built specifically as transmission oil cooler with built in cold oil bypass which only works correctly in one direction!

I can understand that coolers with in and out markings can cause questions...
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #244
Crunchy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody happen to know the flow rate of the tranny oil going to the radiator?
Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #245
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
Anybody happen to know the flow rate of the tranny oil going to the radiator?
About 3 quarts in 200ft at 60 mph (32RH)...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #246
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How often does your cooler fan come on?

My fan is on most of the time. Even when the outside air temperate is 50, after driving for a bit the cooler fan kicks on. Seems like the fan is on way too often. My engine temperature holds at 210/220.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #247
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Derale's fan is off more than it is on, even on really warm days.

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #248
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My Derale's fan is off more than it is on, even on really warm days.
So I wonder if my radiator is not cooling the tranny fluid as much as it should? The radiator was plugged with mud a while ago. I pressure washed all the mud out of the radiator fins. Other thoughts of what may cause the radiator to not cool the tranny fluid?
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #249
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
So I wonder if my radiator is not cooling the tranny fluid as much as it should? The radiator was plugged with mud a while ago. I pressure washed all the mud out of the radiator fins. Other thoughts of what may cause the radiator to not cool the tranny fluid?
=
Buy or borrow an infrared temperature gauge and see what the temp is. Measure the temp in and out on your cooler and in and out at the rad. I suspect your have a bad temp switch.
PW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #250
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
Do you have the cooler lines going through the radiator the correct way? If they're wrong the radiator isn't pre-cooling the fluid before it gets to the Derale, which could cause it to run more.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #251
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mine is on most of the time also once it warms up, Seems like I have it hooked up right,,, Out of driver side radiator to cooler with temp switch, out of cooler to tranny!!!! sound right?
I even removed that return line behind cat completely. Now i come out of cooler and go straight into tranny.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #252
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Mine is on most of the time also once it warms up, Seems like I have it hooked up right,,, Out of driver side radiator to cooler with temp switch, out of cooler to tranny!!!! sound right?
Yep you got it right, that is the correct side with 2003 and newer TJs.

Unread 07-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #253
WhiteMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Installed mine yesterday. The bolts that hold the cooler to the bracket were a PITA and I wish the hose that connects to the hard line was about 3" longer. If it was I could have tied it off better over the DS. It have about 2' of hose flying through the air but I'm confident they are safe. The kit was also short 4 of the 1" foam squares and I had to make some. Other than that I'm satisfied with it.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #254
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another nod for a pretty darn good product. Mine's been on for a month or so and only rarely kicks on, even in 90+ weather. Still not used to it though, so it scares the crap out of me every time!
churchofjt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #255
WhiteMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a question about line routing up front.

I ran the cooler lines along the frame to the point where the factory lines all turn up. From there I have them tied together and they "fly through the air" over the DS/pumpkin to the radiator. The length of the lines doesn't offer much room for creativity. I'm pretty confident that they are out of harm's way but wish I could do something to make it easier to tie them down. Anyone have pics of their setup or suggestions?

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.