Kargo Master/Thule Roof Rack = Loud - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Kargo Master/Thule Roof Rack = Loud

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
ohfourtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Kargo Master/Thule Roof Rack = Loud

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have this setup on their roof? It sounds like a wind tunnel whenever I'm going over 50 mph. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a wind fairing for this sort of thing. Are there any TJ specific fairings out there?

This is what the setup looks like:

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk281/ohfourtj/

ohfourtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It's the front tube of the kargo master that makes it so loud. I found a thread through the search a few weeks ago where people talked about fairing ideas. Basically you'll want something from the windshield frame to that front tube to make it quieter.

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
distantdog
2004 WJ 

I have the exact same set-up. Kargo Master with thule load bars. Yep it is loud. Look at it though, its not exactly aero-dynamic.

Like the previous post said, the only way to reduce the noise would be to reduce the wind resistance.

That being said, really, how quiet is the ride without the rack at 50mph+? It ain't a Cadillac.
distantdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same set up with yakima bars on it. Tried a fairing without any luck. Then I found a little $17 fix that Yakima makes called a windjammer. This thing is a little plastic wing that goes right on the bar. Just one reduced my wind noise significantly so I put one on each bar (one front, one back) and now it's much better.

I found the one above at Eastern Mountain sports for $17.00: http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...cid=GoogleBase

I've also seen on a thread somewhere else where somebody was suggesting filling the tubes of the KargoMaster with that expanding foam insulation - somehow that is supposed to cut down on the resonance. I have a brandy-new kargocage out in the garage that isn't even put together yet - I'm gonna try the foam insulation in it - will let you know how it works out.
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
olyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I may be off base here but I could have sworn I heard of people wrapping a bungee cord in a screw fashion around the front bar from one side to the other and that somehow helped divert the wind and cut down on the noise.

maybe worth a shot?
olyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Mickey650b
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using a Yakima rack, Kargo Master rack with a modified Yakima Fairing.

My Kargo Master rack was very noisy too, so I made an air foil from a sheet of metal stripped from an old micro wave oven and riveted it on. It was a temporary solution until I could figure out something better. It did okay and did help cut down the noise a little. I finally bought a Yakima Fairing, cut it to fit my Kargo Master rack and made a few more modifications to it. It's done a great job and there's practically no additional noise coming from the rack compared to the noise I have driving my jeep without the rack installed.

I spent some time trying to figure this one out. It really has made a huge difference in my wind noise. Hope you find it useful or sparks some ideas.

Unread 04-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Red Rubycon

I used to have a THule bike rack on my Saab. THey made a spoiler like thing that went o the front to deflect the air, worked great, cheap too - $50
Red Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The location of the front bar makes a difference too. Move it forward above the windshield. I have heard a rope or bungee works as well.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
JKEK
2014 JK Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but here's what worked for me

When I installed on my 2011 JKU with hard top I got what could be described as a harmonic vibration that came on at 40 MPH. It was definitely not wind noise. I purchased the wedge that Kargo master makes for their Truck racks and while waiting decided to give the leading edge a helix rap using 3/4 in nylon rope. Worked like a champ. in fact, I'm not sure it didn't make the overall roof noise go down a bit.

The wedge arrived a couple of days ago and I plan to install tonight or tomorrow. If it doesn't work as well as the rope it'll be coming off.
JKEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Kcbcdavis

Congo cage and Thule

2011 4dr, looking at a Congo rack but need Thule crossbars. Anyone have a clue on what mounts would work to rig up some Thule cross bars?
Kcbcdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
JKEK
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thule 450 Crossroad

I have the KargoMaster rack but no cage. The 450 Crossroad has a rubber coated steel strap that tightens around the bar. Works great. I have a pick posted over at wrangler forum with my JKU loaded for the lake.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/gallery...mageuser=57809
JKEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
DrBeeperMD
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thule 450 Crossroads and Kargomaster JK 4 door

Just installed both Thule crossbars and new Kargomaster Congo cage. The cage takes a good 3 hours and you really do need someone to help. You will need a good socket wrench set and a set of Torx bits also. Go through forums and threads, all good advice prior to the install. My old Thule generic footpads did not expand to accommodate the large diameter Congo cage side rails, but Thule 450s work great, very strong and good fit
DrBeeperMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.