K&N Cold Air Intake vs AEM Brute Force Intake... anyone help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > K&N Cold Air Intake vs AEM Brute Force Intake... anyone help?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
TJoshX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

K&N Cold Air Intake vs AEM Brute Force Intake... anyone help?

Hey all,

I've been looking to put a full intake into my wrangler X. it's a 2002 6cycl manual transmission. The two I have been looking at are the K&N and the AEM Brute Force.

I'm going to admit up front I know next to nothing about any of this stuff so any and all detailed comments are appreciated. Part of the reason I bought the Jeep was because I was told they are great "Do it Yourself" vehicles and I want to learn how to work on my vehicle.

The K&N intake uses oil... are there pros and cons to this?

The AEM is oil free and also includes a throttle spacer... to be honest I have no idea what a throttle spacer is or why I would want/need one.

Price wise they are within 10-20 dollars of one another so price is not a concern. Both around 250.00

If anyone has either of these in your vehicles please reply and give me your takes. If you don't run one but still know about htem please reply. Of course If you choose not to run one how come?

Lastly the other option I was looking at was just the standard K&N stock replacement filter... which is about 50.00. Is it worth the extra money for the full intakes or should I just go with this?

Most of the driving I do is on the road, at the moment with some very light weekend off roading on pretty clean/groomed trails.

I live in Maine, so there's about 4-5 months of winter if that matters.

Thanks guys

TJoshX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, they are both worthless.

That said, I have AEM... I regret paying so much for it and wouldn't do it again.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't waste your money.

I had the K&N one, it was worthless.

Luckily I was able to sell it on eBay, and break even.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've read it many many times and stick to this "Cold air intakes intake more air into your wallet then into your jeep!"
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like Rocky and Secondtj both said it's a waste of money. Spend it on a skid or something more useful.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Waste of Money, for what you would pay for a K&N or AEM intake you could almost have an aussie locker for the front. DONT DO IT.

The replacement K&N is just as worthless, it only slows down the velocity of all the crap that it allows to flow through to the engine.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The thing is about air intakes is that.. if it even does gain you horse power.. thats all you MIGHT be getting. You are getting HORSE POWER not torque. To add to that, the horse power gain will be at the high end, not the low end. You will never be at the high end RPM's unless if your merging onto the high way.

The inline 6 is a torquey engine, it likes low end torque. It loves low RPM's thats its specialty
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
mud n rox
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dont do it. I have a K&N FIPK. I removed it and went back to stock air box with a Trueflow filter. It actually runs better with the stock box than the K&N. I took the K&N filter from the FIPK off to clean it; and noticed at lot of dirt/dust particles in the air tube. The K&N FIPK maybe a great thing on a tuner car on the street, but not a Jeep that sees a lot of dust in off road action.

These things add HP but the gain is up at 4200rpm. When was the last time your engine saw anything above 4000 rpms? Save your money and buy something useful.

But if you really want one, send me a pm cause I have one for sale.

Caution: Rock and a hard place just ahead.

[/FONT][/I][/B]
mud n rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
XRussoX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, you guys aren't happy with your K&N replacement filter? I think I've noticed my Jeep running a little cooler on average since the switch...

Russo
XRussoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
gargyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry Bransford has done many write ups on this.

And if he says it's a waste of money (which he does) then it is.

I just change the regular filter often.
gargyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Wait, you guys aren't happy with your K&N replacement filter? I think I've noticed my Jeep running a little cooler on average since the switch...

Russo
The engine isn't going to run cooler with a K&N air filter.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
StvDiego

I have an AEM Brute Force in my TJ

It looks very cool and every time I pop the hood, folks are mighty impressed. I got mine very cheap on eBay. So, for impressing people and having a cool looking engine compartment, go for it. Other than that, save your money. Maybe, just maybe, if you put on headers and full exhaust, free-flow cat, a late-model manifold, ported aluminum head, ignition and a lot of other expensive, but cool looking stuff, you might get a few more squirrels.

Here's my practical experience. I just sold a 4-banger TJ, had a K&N intake with a TBS. Took it all off before I sold it, put the stock set-up back on, and I really think it ran better with the stock intake.

My roommate and I have both have '98 TJ Sports, both have 4.0's. manuals, one has 33's and one has 35's, both X-Terrains. Mine has the 35's has a lot of engine mods (see above), including the AEM, 4-1/2 lift. His has a bone stock engine, has a 2-1/2 lift and gets better mileage, is much quieter, handles better on the road, keeps up with mine just fine and has pulled me out more than once. The only place his hasn't gone is up that one hill where I broke my D-35, and only because he had more sense.

So, from my practical experience, and if I did it all over, I would stay stock and spend the money on a better radiator (those plastic tanks...), an Optima battery, sway bar disconnects, a good air gauge, recovery stuff, a CB or other radio, armor, I could go on all day, but I think the money would be better spent on all those things that will nickel and dime you to the poor house setting up a trail rig.

Unless you really want to have that cool shiny intake, I mean really, it is pretty neat looking.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got an aem brute force... meh, I really dont know if it is doing anything... I think its mostly in your head... but mine was a gift and i have since gotten rid of the stock intake... so, selling it isnt an option for me... If you have the money and you really want it... go for it!!!
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Toolshed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have an AEM intake. It looks neat and sounds pretty cool when I floor it, but other than that, i'm not so sure it does much.
Toolshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
rljsrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Uh... Yes

That's about it for most mods really. All those skids in the parking lot with no scratches and 35's with no scrapes.. It's all about expectations.. Ron

PS; I have the Airaid CAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolshed
I have an AEM intake. It looks neat and sounds pretty cool when I floor it, but other than that, i'm not so sure it does much.
rljsrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.