K&N Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > K&N Air Filter

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
timchi

K&N Air Filter??

Does anyone use a K&N air filter for their 4.0?? I just purchased a new 2006 sport and am wondering if it would be beneficial to put one of these in. Does it help with mpg's??

-and will not be driving in dusty off road conditions anytime soon.

Last edited by timchi; 09-01-2005 at 09:40 AM..
timchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
orlandohulkjeep

i use one for off roading only so water does not wreck it. i never did feel any Difference between the two on the road
orlandohulkjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

For most people, its not worth it.

You may see a few HPs at the top end, but you'll lose low end torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandohulkjeep
i use one for off roading only so water does not wreck it. i never did feel any Difference between the two on the road
I don't understand this statement. A K&N creates a much easier path for water. If you're going to wheel your TJ, keep the stock box that provides much more protection.
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ive used one since i bought my tj in nov. '04. i havent had to recharge it yet. no problems either.
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
tj420jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use a K&N in my stock air box. My only reason was money. I never have to buy another $17 paper filter. The K&N only cost $30.

SOLD- 08 JK Rubicon Unlimited 2.5" skyjacker lift, Mile Marker SE 9500, Smittybuilt SRC, hella fogs and driving, 35 procomp extreme mud tires.
tj420jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with K&N filters is that they are shown and well known to pass more fine dust into the engine. I used to run one and before I finally got rid of it, had placed two prefilters over the top of it to cut down on the fine dust from my local deserts that it was passing. Saving a few bucks to install a new paper air filter at the expense of greater engine wear if you wheel in dusty conditions isn't worth it IMHO. Besides, the 4.0L engine isn't getting more air with the K&N since unlike some other air intake systems, the Jeep 4.0L engine already has a totally free flowing air intake system. Really.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
Baas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
For most people, its not worth it.

You may see a few HPs at the top end, but you'll lose low end torque.

I don't understand this statement. A K&N creates a much easier path for water. If you're going to wheel your TJ, keep the stock box that provides much more protection.
You get 2 types of K&N systems.
The first (and most commonly known) is the cold air intake system. This replaces your air box with an open type cone air filter. This is the one that is open to water and mud.

The second type (This is what I am running now) is a replacement filter in your standard air box.
I also changed to this set up because my standard filter was getting wet every time I went wheeling and replacement cost in South Africa is around US$60. Now I just wash it with some fuel and spray the oil on after every trip. Much cheaper!

BTW the amount of water that enters the engine is not enough to damage it. It just damages the standard air filter.

EDIT: Oh yes and I think the amount of fine dust that enters your engine through the K&N is negligible. The I6 is a low compression engine that is not like the high performance close tolerance machined engines of the high performance sedans.
Skyjacker 2" body lift
Safari Snorkel
35" Procomp X-terrain
Mickey Thompson Classic lock
Aussie locker front & rear
4.88 gears
CV Drive shaft
4WD SYE
215 Ponies I6[/FONT]
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
Rocky5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj420jeep
I use a K&N in my stock air box. My only reason was money. I never have to buy another $17 paper filter. The K&N only cost $30.

Same here!
-Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, Clear Turn Signals and Markers, Custom Front Bumper Hoop with upgraded hooks, Delta 50 Flowmaster, Code Alarm CA-670 Paging-Alarm with Motion Detector, K&N FIPK, JKS Discos, Procomp LCAs, Airaid TBS, Tuffy 055 rear section sub console, 4-Hella 500's, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Olympic Reverse-a-bars, Delta Headlight kit with black bezels, Edge Trail Jammer kit, Smittybilt Classic Tire Carrier, WARN Oil Skid, Skid Row steering skid, JKS adj. rear track bar, RC front adj. track bar.
Rocky5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
bin75

Quote:
My reasoning also.
bin75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
zanejones
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a K&N freestanding filter a few months ago. I didn't really notice a huge difference... So I put the airbox back on. I'd rather save up for other Mods.

In other words... I'll sell you a K&N filter... used for two days... CHEAP!
zanejones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
TJ-Rex

I have the cold air set up. It works great. I can tell difference in power when accelerating on the highway etc. I wheel my Jeep quite often and have yet to have any problem other than the filter gets dirty and I have to clean it.

Desert sand, I'm sure is a whole different situation, but I think that's what snorkles were made for.

I don't know how it does in water, because my Jeep is not a submarine. If I ever got in water high enough to reach the filter, I would be worried about many other things first.
fxd rockers & tank skids, 4.11s,
Aussie locker front & Yukon Awesome 35 OX Locker.
[URL=http://www.itsajeep.org/vBulletin/gallery/files/4/5/0/IMGP2886.JPG]Winter pic[/URL]
TJ-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Fritz R.

I ran the drop in K&N for years. I was concerned about a fine layer of dust that was accumulating in the air intake so I recently took it out, and put the stock type paper filter back in. You would be really hard pressed to be able to tell any performance difference between the two. No change in MPG's.

'97 TJ, 4.0L, AW-4, Flipped D300/4:1, ARB's, D44, Swayloc, RK LA, PC coils, Rancho 9000's, 33x12.5 Trxus, etc.
Fritz R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
Muddeprived

I ran the k&n drop in filter for about a year but now i run the paper filter due to the dusty summer. Don't know what i'm doing with the k&n, probably give to whoever wants it for $5. it needs a cleaner kit but other than that, its fine.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
bcompton

If you want an oiled, reuseable filter but want better filtering than gauze filters (like K&N), look at True Flow. These are foam filters, and use a stickier oil than the gauze ones.

True Flow has replacement filters, universal cone filters (to retrofit K&N, Airaid, Mean Green, etc), and systems which replace only the restrictive parts of the stock intake (like elbows, etc.). Their Wrangler system isn't out yet, but the replacement filter is.

I have used the replacement filter for three years now, and it replaced a K&N filter. With the K&N, the inside of my intake tube was always coated with fine dust. There is absolutely no dust getting through the True Flow.

I have no data on performance increase, etc., but I have saved money on filters over the years!
01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcompton
If you want an oiled, reuseable filter but want better filtering than gauze filters (like K&N), look at True Flow. These are foam filters, and use a stickier oil than the gauze ones.

True Flow has replacement filters, universal cone filters (to retrofit K&N, Airaid, Mean Green, etc), and systems which replace only the restrictive parts of the stock intake (like elbows, etc.). Their Wrangler system isn't out yet, but the replacement filter is.

I have used the replacement filter for three years now, and it replaced a K&N filter. With the K&N, the inside of my intake tube was always coated with fine dust. There is absolutely no dust getting through the True Flow.

I have no data on performance increase, etc., but I have saved money on filters over the years!
I also switched from K&N to a Trueflow air filter.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.