Just wondering what you guys do in winter to keep away from rust. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just wondering what you guys do in winter to keep away from rust.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
LuCk3e87
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering what you guys do in winter to keep away from rust.

i bought this jeep as the first vehicle for me. So it only makes sense that i want to take care of it. I live in Canada where winter is terrible, i m just wondering what i can do to prevent or fight rust during the winter.

LuCk3e87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oil the shyte out of it. White lithium gease all the hinges. I buy a couple cans of grease in a rattle can and spray problem spots on the body.
The stuff I buy is like crown guard. It's in a gold can with red labeling at Canadian Tire.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The good news is that your TJ won't rust as they did in the CJ days, altho' some CJs seemed to escape the tin worm.
Only conclusion I could draw about the few rust-free examples was that the owners kept the mud hosed out, and I'd give the same advice to you.
Also, I've sprayed rubberized rustproofing under the front fenders to give a little more protection aganist stones, and I keep the chassis touched up as well.
Beyond that, as mine is no longer my DD, I follow my own advice and visit the carwash when I get home from our camp.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
mihalis
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Before winter comes, give your Jeep a good wax. I did that 2 years ago with my wives Jeep and it has held up great! It took me all day just to do the outside, but well worth it, the Jeep has been able to keep the rust off. Now, I just need to detail it.
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Move to Florida,it helps a lot.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

just keep up on it when u see a spot give it a shot spray paint or undercoat rubber spray. i twice a year sand and paint things up and it keeps it looking fresh, i hate a rusty undercarriage. wash the salt off as much as you can and like what everyone said slap some oil on it or grease major areas that will tend to rust in time like hinges tailgate, shocks,coils etc, i dump a lot of 3 in 1 oil on mine or wd-40.

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
Move to Florida,it helps a lot.
hahahaha. lol
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Canada's a big country. Nothing like being specific, lol.
Get the underside completely sprayed with grease. Don't even think about other rustproofing treatments.
If you're near Montreal, this is the best rust proofing place in Canada imo.
Barry's been around for many many years and has a bulletproof reputation.
http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=31130 (just scroll down a bit)
Lubricate everything else you can think of with a high quality lubricant like Liquid Film (Canadian Tire).
Touch up any scratches and dings asap and before the snow starts.
Kick salt and sludge off your boots before you get in the car.
Use good floor mats and do like taxi drivers with the newspapers on the carpet under the mats. Change them regularly.
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Canada's a big county.
Canada is a country?I thought it was an extension of VT.Hockey is the only reason US people know it exists.(JK)I love violence that's why I watch the UFC religiously(don't tell the Pope).
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
LuCk3e87
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thx im in Toronto, good advice guys.
LuCk3e87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Every Fall I sand any rust spots on the frame and spray rustoleum flat black on the undercarriage. It definitely seems to help keep rust at a minimum. I try to wax it sometime in the Fall too since I usually don't wash the Jeep much in the winter. There is usually much more salt than snow on streets around here.
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Canada is a country?I thought it was an extension of VT.Hockey is the only reason US people know it exists.(JK)I love violence that's why I watch the UFC religiously(don't tell the Pope).
Another wanker from Charlottesville. Where the heck is that anyways??

I was asking where the OP was located because it could have a bearing on the kind of advise offered to the guy.

For instance, someone out in the boonies probably has a lot less worry about salt damage than someone in a Canadian metropolitan.

And you know, you really shouldn't portray all Americans as being ignorant.
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
wile_coyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Awww come on now. Not all US citizens are ignorant. Some of us actually know geography and are fond of our brothers to the north.
wile_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Another wanker from Charlottesville. Where the heck is that anyways??

I was asking where the OP was located because it could have a bearing on the kind of advise offered to the guy.

For instance, someone out in the boonies probably has a lot less worry about salt damage than someone in a Canadian metropolitan.

And you know, you really shouldn't portray all Americans as being ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wile_coyote View Post
Awww come on now. Not all US citizens are ignorant. Some of us actually know geography and are fond of our brothers to the north.
True story. More then anything I enjoy canadian women. And the military over there is more like a magic show then an air show. However, I will say, If the US decides to re-instate the draft I'll have to grab my crown (the drink) and polish up on my accent and go back over there to Canada.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCk3e87 View Post
thx im in Toronto, good advice guys.
Well jeez, if you're in Toronto just call in the army to fight the rust

Take my advice, a good grease based rust proofing job like the one in the link I posted above is your best bet. And keep that salty slush off your carpet and floor pans as much as possible. As soon as spring arrives, remove your carpets, clean your tub, clean the carpets to remove any salt, pressure wash underneath to remove salt build-up, relube everything etc, etc.

Whatever you do, it will a losing battle. Rust never sleeps, like that great Canadian guy Neil Young once said.

And for the Charlottesville guy, just remember, your little ville means town and the name comes compliments of Canada from a time when we used to steal your pelts and help you guys out with those blasted Brits.

Oh, and check out where all the rockers, celebs, and scientists everyone loves so much actually come from:

http://www.canadians.ca/

Even PamAn is on the list. Explore the site a little. It was only the first hit on a google search for famous canadians, and it was a bit of an eye opener even for this old Canuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.