Just purchased the Tuff Stuff Front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just purchased the Tuff Stuff Front bumper

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just purchased the Tuff Stuff Front bumper

First off I just purchased a warn winch and need a way to install her. Looking at either making a winch plate (had some spare 1/4 laying around) or buying one. Looked on CL and saw the Tuff Stuff front bumper for 200 out the door with some D links included.

Tuff Stuff XRC Style Front Bumper | TruckandWinch.com

I went down to Newport (their store area) and looked at it before I bought the bumper

(if you are wanting for pics let me know)
The bumper is nice, not too heavy, but enough.

Powder coating is very thin, but really, I couldn't care less, I am thinking about just rolling on some enamel paint so easy paint repairs.

The D link inserts (where the D links attach to) are welded on the outside and inside of the bumper, so I don't think they will be moving too easily

since this is a cheap bumper, I felt that since I have a welder I would reinforce the welds on both sides. I think you would be just fine without doing this but I had the time and space to do it

It mounts on the 2 holes on the top where the hooks are and one on the bottom. I don't think they give you grade 8 hardware so that is one thing I am going to replace

I haven't mounted the winch yet but it doesn't seem like there will be a problem

This hasn't been trail tested just out of the box, so keep that in mind

You get what you pay for, and I don't have the money for a real nice bumper and this will do until it breaks.

Oh and I bet the Smittybilt is made in the same factory as this one, just renamed, but just guessing.

StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I was looking at this bumper also. It is listed on Ebay for around $209 plus shipping. How thick is the metal that this is built out of? Does it go from the end of one front fender to the other?
Is there anyway you could post a photo of it installed?
Thanks
J
Unread 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

did u try the link he posted?it is all there.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah its the same one. There was a thread about that company and apparently they are using/used a picture of a JF members jeep with a SB bumper on and were advertising it as their own. Ultimately they did take it down.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sm...f-src-1121788/
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
rrasco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I started that other thread....I felt confident enough to buy this after waiting for someone to post feedback on the truck and winch ebay account. I sent the buyer some PMs and he said everything lined up, build quality was good, etc. Worst case, return it and tell ebay they are selling a phony product. Ebay buyer protection FTW.

At any rate, my bumper showed up today at my office. It's still in the box so I can't comment on it yet, but I will be looking it over closely in the next day or two. I plan to put up pictures after it's mounted, hell, I'll post some pictures after I unbox it so people can get a good look at this 'cheap' bumper. The way I see it, it's a hunk of metal mounted to my Jeep, what can be so bad about it? And for the price...you really can't beat it.

Oh, and I'll be sending them a picture of it mounted on my Jeep so they have some legit pictures of their product on a TJ.
rrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get me wrong, I have the SB bumper and it's likely that they bought some from SB and just renamed it. The bumper I got was a decent bumper.
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
StupendousMan

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have the SB bumper and it's likely that they bought some from SB and just renamed it. The bumper I got was a decent bumper.
I bet you are right, but wondering if they [SB] are using the 3 piece winch plate design

Sorry I haven't updated this yet. Well, I purchased another bumper instead. Reason: after thinking about it long and hard, I didn't want to trust my new winch to a 3 piece design winch plate (seems weak in my opinion). Other than the way the winch mounts on the bumper, the thing is really solid and love the looks but decided to go a way where the winch is a little more solidly mounted.
StupendousMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
rrasco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I installed my front bumper last night. It was slightly out of alignment, or my jeep was, so I had to file the bolt holes out about 1/8". Only took 10 minutes and the bumper looks great on the jeep.

Unread 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the same bumper and the mounting holes lined up fine. Be careful when installing your winch. My 10,000lb winch wouldn't sit flush, the offroad light mounting tabs on the bar were in the way. I had to grind them off completely to get it to sit flush. That kinda sucked grinding on a brand new bumper. I sanded the bar then sprayed it with truck bed liner spray from Autozone. It looks great and can't even tell where I grinded the tabs off.
mpd2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:00 AM   #10
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Man I fought long and hard over ordering that bumper. In the end I went with a bumper from Matt Little's
Little Boys Toys collection. A simple style out of 3/16" plate and tube with front receiver hitch and D-ring mounts.
I will try to post a photo later on if the sun shines later.
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
rrasco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2434 View Post
I have the same bumper and the mounting holes lined up fine. Be careful when installing your winch. My 10,000lb winch wouldn't sit flush, the offroad light mounting tabs on the bar were in the way. I had to grind them off completely to get it to sit flush. That kinda sucked grinding on a brand new bumper. I sanded the bar then sprayed it with truck bed liner spray from Autozone. It looks great and can't even tell where I grinded the tabs off.
Thanks. I'll take careful note of the winch dimensions when I get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Man I fought long and hard over ordering that bumper. In the end I went with a bumper from Matt Little's
Little Boys Toys collection. A simple style out of 3/16" plate and tube with front receiver hitch and D-ring mounts.
I will try to post a photo later on if the sun shines later.
I really like the style of the XRC and it was really the only thing with a reasonable price tag on it. You won't catch me spending $1000 on a bumper.
Unread 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Here is the choice I ended up installing on my TJ. Double Powder Coated, Top plate 3/16"...bumper 2"x4"x3/16" tube.....lower mounting brackets 3/16" plate. The bumper has a 2 each clevis mounts, a 2"x2" receiver (not visible due to my custom made license plate bracket), however it is more of an accessory receiver. I plan to mount a heavy duty receiver on the top plate also. Plans also call for mounting my tow bar brackets direct to the front of this bumper.
Savings were about $100 over the Tuff Stuff bumper delivered.

Unread 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
rrasco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got the Tuff Stuff SRC style rear bumper and tire carrier in today. Will look at installing it and getting pics up later tonight.
Unread 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
bonecrushertj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
I got the Tuff Stuff SRC style rear bumper and tire carrier in today. Will look at installing it and getting pics up later tonight.
What is your feedback on rear bumper tire carrier?
Are you satisfied? Does it rattle? Sturdy?
Thanks
bonecrushertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
spwalker

I was looking into buying a tuff stuff front bumper. how far apart are the light mounts? i have an led light bar I want to install and wanted to seee how far apart/if the light bar can mount on it
spwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.