Just ordered yukon spartan locker...reviews? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just ordered yukon spartan locker...reviews?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered yukon spartan locker...reviews?

Called randys ring and pinion today to get a lockright locker, they sold me on a yukon spartan saying samuari buggys have been testing them and they were holding up nicely. He told me if there were any warranty issues it was delt with in house and would be a 48 hour decision rather than a 4-6 week with richmond gear for a lockright. anyways i gave in and now im kind of scared. Does anyone have one yet? They said with the carrier out it was a 5-10 minute install due to for wires you have in it while you are putting it in the carrier then you remove the wires and the four springs spring out. I hope you guys say its okay. They said it was an aussie lockright copy pretty much. Thanks

grnsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have never heard of it, although I've not been keeping up to date on lockers either.

All I can say is that Sammy buggies probably weigh in at 1/2 of a TJ...probalby less if the TJ is outfitted with big tires, side and bottom skids, etc. What works well for a Sammy may or may not be the hot setup for a Jeep.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well if i dont hear anything good about them before monday i may cancel and have them send me a lockright or i might just be a guenie pig haha
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

oh by the way stu i looked at your website for how to install an axle seal, thanks! the axle seal is pretty much the reason I ordered this, I didnt want to pull the diff cover for just that haha
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hope the seal replacement goes OK and what ever you decide goes equally as well.

Being the first guy to try it isn't always that bad. Been there, done that.

Good luck on your project!
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How much money are you saving? In my mind the savings would have to be significant to be a guinny pig on a locker. Even more so when there are 2 companies doing it right (lockright & aussie) and one doing it badly (detroit EZ locker).
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

only 20 bucks from a lockright
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't do it for $20
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsporty View Post
only 20 bucks from a lockright
If it grenades and takes out the R&P or a shaft you will be out more than $20.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never heard of it.

Pay the extra money for a well known, proven locker.
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
denali24

Here is a link to show install review of the spartan locker. Should help

http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17127
denali24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was with a guy that had a problem with his front Lock Right and he wanted me to check his rear Spartan (Dana 44) too. The Lock Right was broken (very old and he broke the pins). The Spartan worked but was incredibly loud. He wanted it checked because it was so noisy. It worked but jeez.... The ratcheting noise was probably double that of a normal Lock Right or Aussie.
Unread 07-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I saw these on ebay when I was looking for a front lunchbox, I went with the Aussie as it is only $239 from their own website and I ran one succesfully in the rear for a few years with no probs.

Heres the link, same price as an aussie for the D30, they might be great but for this money it doesn't get any better then an Aussie just read the reviews.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...Q5fAccessories
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
Ty2003K

I am running one in the rear of mine (d44). So far its been great, install was easy and I acually think its a good bit quiter then my friends Lock Right. It should also not have the problems of pins breaking like the Lock Rights and Aussies as they are much larger. Only time will tell on durabiltiy but I would buy another one with my experiences so far.
Ty2003K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty2003K View Post
I am running one in the rear of mine (d44). So far its been great, install was easy and I acually think its a good bit quiter then my friends Lock Right. It should also not have the problems of pins breaking like the Lock Rights and Aussies as they are much larger. Only time will tell on durabiltiy but I would buy another one with my experiences so far.
Grnsporty...It's always good to have a personal experience and a positive review thrown in and I must admit although I never had any problems with the pins on my aussie that spartan design looks good, maybe you will try it now? Or did you go with a lockrite?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.