just lifted, get alignment now or after tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > just lifted, get alignment now or after tires?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
alecmcmahon

just lifted, get alignment now or after tires?

just put a 2.5" RC lift + 1.25" BL on my 99 TJ

i know i need an alignment, but im also going to be going from 31's to 33's in the near future.

if i get an alignment now, do i have to get another one after putting bigger tires on?

the cheapest i can find is 80 bucks for an alignment around me. i'd hate to have to pay twice.

Unread 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Align it yourself now for free using the thousands of links and tutorials available on this forum and then double check it after your new tires. 15 minutes of time in the driveway and a couple wrenches, a tape measure, and maybe some vise grips or a plumbers wrench. It's that easy.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

After lifting your jeep you may now have excess toe in.

Having too much toe-in can make your Jeep wobble especially when hitting a bump while going around a curve.
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

do it now before you get your tires mounted. driving on the road out of alignment is bad news. you can do an alignment yourself or you can get it done at a reputable place. Big O i find has excellent tools for that application.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
alecmcmahon

thanks, I'm getting a computerized alignment at a local shop right now
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Cha-ching! The only adjustment needed to the front end of a solid axle rig like your Jeep is toe in-out which is covered in the link I gave you. They'll simply do the 5 minute adjustment in the link and collect 80 bucks for it. Oh well.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you should do your own alignment it's only one measurement

your local computerized alignment shop is staffed by a pimply seventeen year-old who's busy thinking about everything else other than precise alignment
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
just put a 2.5" RC lift + 1.25" BL on my 99 TJ

if i get an alignment now, do i have to get another one after putting bigger tires on?

the cheapest i can find is 80 bucks for an alignment around me. i'd hate to have to pay twice.
Did that lift kit come with adjustable control arms? If yes then a good alignment may have been a good idea to make sure all is square with the world. If the stock control arms are still on and the shop charged you $80.00 they screwed you and don't use them again. Without adjustable control arms the only thing they could have done was the toe-in adjustment and getting the steering wheel centered.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Bigbob

Oh, BTW, to go from 31 to 33 no additional alingnment should be needed.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
alecmcmahon

the guy actually spent 40-50 minutes working on it, i watched him. he said it was way off.

and it actually does feel alot better.

i dont mind paying a few bucks if it comes down to saftey.

here is the print out:
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Did that lift kit come with adjustable control arms? If yes then a good alignment may have been a good idea to make sure all is square with the world. If the stock control arms are still on and the shop charged you $80.00 they screwed you and don't use them again. Without adjustable control arms the only thing they could have done was the toe-in adjustment and getting the steering wheel centered.

I live in the suburbs, where people will charge what they want, cause they will pay it.

this guy was actually the cheapest i found, i got some quotes @ 125-150 bucks,.. this guy charged me 75.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.