Just installed new softtop now my doors won't close all the way - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just installed new softtop now my doors won't close all the way

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed new softtop and now my doors won't close all the way!

Ok I have half doors so after a morning of carefully fitting the door skins onto the frames and putting the new roof on and zipping in the new windows, I was finally done and it looks great - black sailcloth with tinted windows. I go to slide the upper doors into the 3 peg holes and close the door. They don't shut all the way and stick out about an inch. It appears that the weatherstrip is catching and getting in the way and causing the door not to close all the way. I messed around with it forever trying to re-adjust everything - the door skins, the side windows, the roof. I just can't figure out what is wrong. Its almost like the upper skins are too big or something. ???? Any tips?

SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
JMaldo

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar issue, u have any pics?

I just adjusted my skins to help locate the weather stripping in the righ spot.. See if you can give us a pic of what your seeing.
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

here are some pics but it might be hard to see what exactly is holding it.

It seems as if the weatherstrip is holding it, but in the 3rd pic, the bottom corner is overlapping the side rear window a little In the last pic is with the door open a little to show how the weatherstrip is going to hit
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
jeephreak

Can you post a few pics of the door totally open, to see the door surround, as well as the rear of the top, and the rear window where they fit into the lip on the tail gate?

It almost looks like the door surrounds arent seated properly and the top is too far forward on the retainer lips.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Muddeprived

Look at your softop side window at the lower right hand corner where it meets the door. It's stick past the side panel which is causing it to get in the way of the door. You need to adjust something on the top so that goes back further to clear the door. When i install the side windows, i always get to the back and pull the window towards the rear as far as it would go and then zip it up. The plastic door surround that the top attaches to could be too far forward too....use some muscle and push that part back some.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have to say i had a similar problem when i installed my new sailcloth top.

the way i took care of it was by trying to pull the rear windows further back because they were actually sticking out into the door area. seems to be your problem too.

i took the rear windows out and tried to pull the top back a little. go through the bars and everything make sure everything is snug. but after a couple weeks my problem slowly went away. guessing the top just needed to relax or stretch out after it was installed.
joeyt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like your side windows are too far forward hanging it up.. try taking them out and then closing the doors.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I took my side windows back out and the doors close fully so its definitly the side windows that are hanging it up. I then reinstalled them while trying to pull back on them as far as I could and it helped a little but it still getting in the way of the door slightly. Its not as bad as before though. Maybe I'll just give it some time and it'll somehow stretch out easier in the sun.
Unread 09-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
dummerdrummer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice fender flares! Are those Bushwhackers?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.