Just installed 5.5" RE long arm kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just installed 5.5" RE long arm kit

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
countryboy4ya

Just installed 5.5" RE long arm kit

Just a quick question....I just installed a RE 5.5" lift and I have noticed that the front sits lower then the rear. I do not have additional weight such as a winch or rear tire carrier yet. I will be installing a homemade tire carrier this weekend and it is pretty heavy, but I do not know if it will level out the suspension yet. My question is: is it common for my rear to sit higher? would the front regain some height once I dial in my axles?

[SIZE=1][CENTER]2001 [B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR] [/B] Jeep TJ Sport. ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, 62MM TB, Banks Exhaust System, Optima [COLOR=Red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Top, 5.5" RE lift, Rock Sliders, Painless Cirkit Boss, 4 KC Titanium Daylighters, CB, Inclimeter, Herculiner, Neoprene seat covers, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear, 4.88 gears, Novak Conversion T-case Shifter linkage, Teraflex ES SYE kit, 37" Boggers, Currie Steering Conversion, [URL=http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=6958]http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=6958[/URL] [/CENTER][/SIZE]
countryboy4ya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
eagleno49
throbbing member

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will likely need a spacer up front to level it out. Wait until your axle angles are adjusted and your bumper is on before you add one.
Unread 11-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
camoTJ

it will sit alittle higher... thats how my moms sits, I kind of like it like that. shes got a tire carrier and 35 on the back and a winch up front
Unread 11-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Joel77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

RE 5.5" springs are a little to high for 35" tires.

And adding a spacer on top of that is very high.

Might want to consider dropping to 4.5" springs.
Joel77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
U.S.MarineLJ

The Jeep has a natural rake to it. The rear sits higher stock. This is so that when you load the rear down with gear/equipment the *** end doesn't sit lower.

[URL=http://www.jeepreviews.com]JeepReviews.com[/URL]

Awesome site with writeups. [url]http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html[/url]

Another awesome site for writeups.

[url]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
U.S.MarineLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
moitura

After my 4.5 LA kit was installed, I thought it was lower in the front too, but then upon further investigation, I discovered it was an optical illusion created by the fender flares. The rear flares are bolted to the jeep in a *slightly* higher location than the fronts, giving it that sloped front look. Although there are cases where the front of a jeep really does sit lower than the back, most the time, IMO, I think its just an optical illusion.
Unread 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
rkutzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moitura
After my 4.5 LA kit was installed, I thought it was lower in the front too, but then upon further investigation, I discovered it was an optical illusion created by the fender flares. The rear flares are bolted to the jeep in a *slightly* higher location than the fronts, giving it that sloped front look. Although there are cases where the front of a jeep really does sit lower than the back, most the time, IMO, I think its just an optical illusion.
YES YES YES, you are right on !!! Measure the frame between the front and rear tires before they bend upwards. Mine was 'level' though the flares make the Jeep look a little raked. Measure one that looks 'level' or higher in front and the frame WON'T be level. The other issue is to let the springs settle in for a few hundred miles and an offroad trip before adjusting with coil spacers. I actually had to add a half inch to my passenger side rear to get everything 'perfect' after a year. And yes, I DID swap coils left and right first, with no change....

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.