Just got my first jeep! Low beam headlights do not work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just got my first jeep! Low beam headlights do not work

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just got my first jeep! Low beam headlights do not work

Just got my first jeep about 2 days ago and love it. 2004 x 5speed with 75k miles. Came with 31 bfg all terrains and a coil spacer lift which will only be on till the tires wear out, Ive been looking for a 3" or 4" kit not sure which one but have been doing a lot of research. The only problem is the low beams do not work, I am entirely new to the jeep thing and was wondering if there is any common things check? The headlights are new so its not the bulbs.

Maxxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
KRUNNCH
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just went through this electrical nightmare. Blinkers worked, high beams worked, the dimmer inside the cabin worked and the low beams did not work. Solution? Replace the multi-function switch connector ($67 at stealership). Mine was melted into the female portion. Replaced the connector and re-wired 3 wires because the aluminum on them were unrecognizable, fixed.

Things to check though:
1)All fuses pertaining to the lights both inside the cabin fuse box and the exterior fuse box under the hood.
2)If ALL fuses are good, check the multi-function switch connector on the steering column before you go buy anything else. Make sure it isn’t melted.
3)If it isn’t melted and you can take it out w/ ease....then check the continuity/resistance between the pins on the female end of the multi-function switch that connects to the connector.
4)If you don’t get continuity and resistance where you should, then it could be the actual multi-function switch (thing you turn your lights on with). I have one I don't need, but it is setup for Jeeps that have fog lights.

The connector can be found sort of on the top of the steering column; the connector is gray and has 20 pins.
KRUNNCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUNNCH View Post
Just went through this electrical nightmare. Blinkers worked, high beams worked, the dimmer inside the cabin worked and the low beams did not work. Solution? Replace the multi-function switch connector ($67 at stealership). Mine was melted into the female portion. Replaced the connector and re-wired 3 wires because the aluminum on them were unrecognizable, fixed.

Things to check though:
1)All fuses pertaining to the lights both inside the cabin fuse box and the exterior fuse box under the hood.
2)If ALL fuses are good, check the multi-function switch connector on the steering column before you go buy anything else. Make sure it isnít melted.
3)If it isnít melted and you can take it out w/ ease....then check the continuity/resistance between the pins on the female end of the multi-function switch that connects to the connector.
4)If you donít get continuity and resistance where you should, then it could be the actual multi-function switch (thing you turn your lights on with). I have one I don't need, but it is setup for Jeeps that have fog lights.

The connector can be found sort of on the top of the steering column; the connector is gray and has 20 pins.
Thanks alot, ive checked the fuses and they all seem good. I just borrowed a meter from a buddy im gonna check the switch now.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

checked the switch and it was in good condition, although I was not able to check with the multimeter seeing as my friend forget to give me the cables I will have to check again tomorrow . I was wondering though i may have over looked a fuse, do you happen to know all that pertain to the headlights?
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
KRUNNCH
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Off my head no, but I just checked all of them. Every single one in the interior fuse box and all in the exterior one as well. Your connector was in good shape? Remember it isn't the one on the side of the column, its on the top and to the left if you are facing your gauges. You have to remove your column plastic cover parts to get to it.
KRUNNCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Hillbilly88
2014 JK Wrangler 

My blinkers and low beam went out at same time. Replaced the switch in collum and everything is back to normal
Hillbilly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, just went over all the fuses again and they where all fine. Found a switch online and ordered it, hopefully that will fix the problem.
Unread 08-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just swapped out the switch and it seems I am at a dead end once again. I rechecked all fuses with a meter to make sure I didnt miss anything. I have little experience working with electrical issues so if anyone knows anything else to check it would be much appreciated.
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You mention the headlight bulbs are new, but not if they come on in High Beam position. ASSuming that they do, that rules out the grounds since high and low beam use the same ground.

There are 2 fuses under the hood,fuse 10 (40a) and fuse 19 (20a) as well as a circuit breaker in the fuse box under the dash.

Curly
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you getting power at the lights?
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
You mention the headlight bulbs are new, but not if they come on in High Beam position. ASSuming that they do, that rules out the grounds since high and low beam use the same ground.

There are 2 fuses under the hood,fuse 10 (40a) and fuse 19 (20a) as well as a circuit breaker in the fuse box under the dash.

Curly
Yea the bulbs are new and the high beams work. Is the circuit breaker in the fuse box in the glove box or somewhere else under the dash? I saw it in the wiring diagram but it gave no description of where it was located.
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797 View Post
Are you getting power at the lights?
When the high beams are on they do, but on low they do not.
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Maxxwell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Problem solved, found a little short in a wire running from the switch. Low beams are back and working. Thanks for all the help!
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
alexestornel
1991 YJ Wrangler 

low beams not working! Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxwell View Post
Problem solved, found a little short in a wire running from the switch. Low beams are back and working. Thanks for all the help!
Hi Iím having the same problem you did. Iím a complete novice to anything mechanical or electrical but I want to learn. My low beams wonít come on but the high beams do. Iíve checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood and I donít see a bad fuse. Iím assuming its the switch.
The switch you changed on yours, (or the short you fixed), are you speaking of the switch on the dash to turn on the lights?
I have a 1991 Wrangler.
Thanks for your time.
Alex
alexestornel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #15
Cj_5263

I just bought a 2004 Jeep Wrangler x and can't seem to figure out how to turn the high beams on. My lights work fine and turn on and I can flash my high beams and they are fine I do have a multifunctional switch but when I switch it to high beams only my low beams turn on...how do I go about turning them on?
Cj_5263 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.