Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Just bought an LJ

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  joe_jeep 
#1 ·
Hi Guys been over on the CJ forum for years.
Just bought a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited I pick it up in about two weeks in FL

Here is what I know:
33" AT tires
2.5" rough country lift, w/1" body lift
Hard top
Warn bumpers, tire carrier and 8K winch

He used it mainly for around town stuff and hunting in Alabama, Oh yea 106K

Lots of plans, but before all that, what's your guys take? What should I be looking for?

Body and frame all good, started in SC, some girl driving it, then he bought it about 7 years ago.
Thx

#4 ·
Ditto on the OPDA. If it hasn't been replaced with a newer design model then replace it. I bought an 05 in December with only 56K on it, just traded it because the OPDA had failed and the camshaft was worn out. Starting throwing check engine codes for various items such as the idle air controller, random misfire and others. When the mechanic couldn't resolve the issues he scoped it and came back with grim news. Not trying to rain on your parade and congrats on the new ride, just offering advice on something I learned the hard way. In hindsight I wished I had just done a V8 conversion and dropped a Hemi in it, as I loved the two door Unlimited, but the 14 Silverado I traded her in on aint to shabby either. With 106K, you may already have had the fix, but I would definitely verify this.

#7 ·
Neither of my 05's ever did that. Maybe because I couldn't afford to fill them up. To me, if that's your only problem with your Jeep, you need a wife.:eek:

Reactions: rabidpenguin
#8 ·
OPDA can be a big deal, but its super simple to swap out. If its the original just order the new Crown OPDA ($100ish on Amazon), use you existing sensor from the OEM OPDA, and keep on trucking. Lots of good info on the forum regarding it, but i wouldn't lose sleep and just swap it out.

#18 ·
joe_jeep said:
the 6 speed, 4.10 combo on the rubicon is nice. you should be able to tolerate the 33s, without a regear. my auto rubi could barley tolerate the stock 31s without a regear. hopefully the previous owner took care of the 6 speed!
I've been driving my 05 LJ Rubi with 35" KM2's for about 2 years. Still does 80-85 on the highway. Just need to downshift on hill more frequently

#19 ·
My 05 likes to eat the primary cats about every 60K miles, but I also drive it pretty hard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#23 ·
the check engine light has been on in my rubicon sahara for 2 years for a bad cat.
its finally bad enough now, im about to do something about it.
replacement, or making them "extremely hi flow" seem to be the only options so far.

what brand did you replace yours with?
how was the fit?

thx

#33 ·
I have been using QS Defy 10w30 for several years.

Attachments

#21 ·
Castrol GTX

#24 ·
First set was warranty replaced, next was Eastern Catalytic, fitment was horrible, I have a post on her somewhere about them. I had to cut up the pipes and re-weld them. They also only lasted about 43K miles. Now I have the as Magnaflow setup and it fit well.

#26 ·
#34 ·
Thx for the info. Mine barely made it to work tonight.
cats are gonna be worked on this weekend.
for sure wont buy an eastern!
Leaning towards making my factory ones flow "really good".
At least i know they fit right.

My other option was a bosal unit.
i used to be a bosal dealer.
it was good stuff.
huge in the import market.
bosals price was decent too.

#29 ·
Welcome to the LJ Club !!
If the Jeep has 106,000 miles I would think that it does not have a OPDA issue, but who knows??

I love my LJ and have owned it for around 8 years........best all round Jeep model made.

Attachments

#30 ·
If the Jeep has 106,000 miles I would think that it does not have a OPDA issue, but who knows??
All of them suffer from the same poor design. Some though seem to have either materials or manufacture QC issue. I didn't change mine out till approx. 155k miles and it had no symptoms. Wear was worse than one would expect, but nothing like some of the ones with the QC issue. I still felt like the Crown redesign was an improvement over the OEM design worth doing.

#32 ·
Congrats on the LJ and welcome to the club! I love mine. Although I'm not that crazy about the extra weight/loss of power/it's an mpg pig, parts... but other than that... love it! :D

Hey, we may as well make this a LJ pic whore thread...

:cheers2:

#35 ·
joe_jeep said:
Thx for the info. Mine barely made it to work tonight. cats are gonna be worked on this weekend. for sure wont buy an eastern! Leaning towards making my factory ones flow "really good". At least i know they fit right. My other option was a bosal unit. i used to be a bosal dealer. it was good stuff. huge in the import market. bosals price was decent too.
I've encountered some serious figment issues with the Bosal cats on my 05. The pipe is making contact with the front drive shaft. I've had to do some significant bends to get it to clear, mostly. Looking now to have a shop cut and reroute. Your mileage may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.