Just bought hardtop, NEED WEATHER-STRIPPING? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
2004JeepTJ

Just bought hardtop, NEED WEATHER-STRIPPING?

Hello everyone,

I just bought a '99 OEM hardtop for my '04. I have been reading various posts on here about top changes over the years on the TJ, and I guess this top will fit, but the electrical connections will require some thinking.

anyway, I picked it up last night and noticed there is weather-stripping around the base of the top (where it rests on the tub), but no weather-stripping along the font edge where it rests on top of the windshield frame. So, do I need to get the correct piece of rubber for the top of my windshield frame? I'm pretty sure my OEM soft top has the rubber seal built-in to the front crossbar on the soft-top frame. I'll have to check it out closer - but I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Am I missing the hardtop weather-stripping for the top of the windshield frame?

thank you to any advice you can offer me.

UPDATE! for anyone who might find this helpful:

OK, so last night I put the '99 OEM hardtop on my '04 TJ and it fit perfectly. No trimming of plastic windshield trim, and no modifying the latches. It fits nicely. the weather stripping for the top of the windshield is built into the windshield frame. I have not looked into hooking up the electric yet.

I am not sure if it was worth it to buy a hardtop since the softtop is pretty nice even in winter. but, i want to put a light duty rack on the hardtop roof, and I couldn't pass up the deal for only $450 for a black hardtop with tinted glass. Thanks for the advice guys.

Hoping to get back into the Jeep world soon.

Last edited by 2004JeepTJ; 09-15-2005 at 08:05 AM. Reason: UPDATE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 AM
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004JeepTJ
Hello everyone,

I just bought a '99 OEM hardtop for my '04. I have been reading various posts on here about top changes over the years on the TJ, and I guess this top will fit, but the electrical connections will require some thinking.

anyway, I picked it up last night and noticed there is weather-stripping around the base of the top (where it rests on the tub), but no weather-stripping along the font edge where it rests on top of the windshield frame. So, do I need to get the correct piece of rubber for the top of my windshield frame? I'm pretty sure my OEM soft top has the rubber seal built-in to the front crossbar on the soft-top frame. I'll have to check it out closer - but I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Am I missing the hardtop weather-stripping for the top of the windshield frame?

thank you to any advice you can offer me.
Not sure about the '04's, but on my '02 there is no weather stripping on the HT. Mine came with the combo top package, so the HT was attached from the factory. And the windshield header (gasket material) is part of the windshield on mine...not part of the top. I've not had any leaks on either...and it gets very wet here in the NW.

Hope that helps a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
2004JeepTJ

Thanks Oregon, I'll fold back my soft top and see if the gasket is built into the windshield frame. Thanks for the tip.

Hoping to get back into the Jeep world soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.