Just bought hardtop, NEED WEATHER-STRIPPING? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought hardtop, NEED WEATHER-STRIPPING?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
2004JeepTJ

Just bought hardtop, NEED WEATHER-STRIPPING?

Hello everyone,

I just bought a '99 OEM hardtop for my '04. I have been reading various posts on here about top changes over the years on the TJ, and I guess this top will fit, but the electrical connections will require some thinking.

anyway, I picked it up last night and noticed there is weather-stripping around the base of the top (where it rests on the tub), but no weather-stripping along the font edge where it rests on top of the windshield frame. So, do I need to get the correct piece of rubber for the top of my windshield frame? I'm pretty sure my OEM soft top has the rubber seal built-in to the front crossbar on the soft-top frame. I'll have to check it out closer - but I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Am I missing the hardtop weather-stripping for the top of the windshield frame?

thank you to any advice you can offer me.

UPDATE! for anyone who might find this helpful:

OK, so last night I put the '99 OEM hardtop on my '04 TJ and it fit perfectly. No trimming of plastic windshield trim, and no modifying the latches. It fits nicely. the weather stripping for the top of the windshield is built into the windshield frame. I have not looked into hooking up the electric yet.

I am not sure if it was worth it to buy a hardtop since the softtop is pretty nice even in winter. but, i want to put a light duty rack on the hardtop roof, and I couldn't pass up the deal for only $450 for a black hardtop with tinted glass. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by 2004JeepTJ; 09-15-2005 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: UPDATE!
2004JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004JeepTJ
Hello everyone,

I just bought a '99 OEM hardtop for my '04. I have been reading various posts on here about top changes over the years on the TJ, and I guess this top will fit, but the electrical connections will require some thinking.

anyway, I picked it up last night and noticed there is weather-stripping around the base of the top (where it rests on the tub), but no weather-stripping along the font edge where it rests on top of the windshield frame. So, do I need to get the correct piece of rubber for the top of my windshield frame? I'm pretty sure my OEM soft top has the rubber seal built-in to the front crossbar on the soft-top frame. I'll have to check it out closer - but I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Am I missing the hardtop weather-stripping for the top of the windshield frame?

thank you to any advice you can offer me.
Not sure about the '04's, but on my '02 there is no weather stripping on the HT. Mine came with the combo top package, so the HT was attached from the factory. And the windshield header (gasket material) is part of the windshield on mine...not part of the top. I've not had any leaks on either...and it gets very wet here in the NW.

Hope that helps a little.

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
TJ-n-Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
2004JeepTJ

Thanks Oregon, I'll fold back my soft top and see if the gasket is built into the windshield frame. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.