just bought a 97 tj w/33" toyos, major vibration 35-50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > just bought a 97 tj w/33" toyos, major vibration 35-50

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
rugerdog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just bought a 97 tj w/33" toyos, major vibration 35-50

Hi, i am new to the jeep scene. I bought a 97 tj, having problems.
I just replaced all brakes, including rotors. Now, it seams like booster isnt working(leaking from master cilinder to booster.(is there a way to test it working?)
I also replaced the radiator with aluminum one.(original was falling apart) I noticed the temp is the same as the old one @ 210(wont go over it, but stays above 190 average temp) I cantr see the coolant rotating in the radiator, is my pump bad?(I noticed the thermostat worked and opened up, but dont see it moving through the cap).
And the worst of the whole deal, i get a vibration at 35-50 mph. I know the 33" Toyos are brand new, but think the balance is soo far off its insane. I noticed the PO had the lift kit installed, and the rear sway bar was missing bolts, and the one left on it was loose as hell!
I dont know the lift height thats on it, dont know the average height for the stock height to compare.
The guy had a rear driveline, and a anti slip yoke eliminator kitinstalled?? (wich i know nothing about)
Are the tires too big for it? I dbout the gearing has been changed, Wondering about the trani as well, heard the transmitions werent the greatest either.

Thanks for the help

rugerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
tx702
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out some Dynabeads for the tires. What brand of lift? Long arm or short arm? What are your pinon angles?
tx702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

for the vibes have Discount Tire (or somebody) rebalance and check the wheel runout.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

210 is the normal operating temp
Get your tires balanced.
Is there a transfer case drop installed? Look at the big skid underneath the center of the Jeep. Is it mounted flush against the frame or are there spacers?
If your lift is 3" or more you might be having driveline vibes. Get the tires balanced and all the loose suspension stuff dealt with and see if the vibes are still there.
A bad u-joint in the rear driveshaft can cause the vibes also. Check them for any play, rust etc.
Jim
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you in Washington? Those tires were most likely purchased at Les Schwab so you could take it to your local one and have them rebalanced. My jeep runs right at about 210 so your good there. As far as the lift if you post some pics maybe we could help you out with the. Fill out you profile and we could answere your questions on the drivetrain.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerdog View Post
Hi, i am new to the jeep scene. I bought a 97 tj, having problems.
I just replaced all brakes, including rotors. Now, it seams like booster isnt working(leaking from master cilinder to booster.(is there a way to test it working?)
I also replaced the radiator with aluminum one.(original was falling apart) I noticed the temp is the same as the old one @ 210(wont go over it, but stays above 190 average temp) I cantr see the coolant rotating in the radiator, is my pump bad?(I noticed the thermostat worked and opened up, but dont see it moving through the cap).
And the worst of the whole deal, i get a vibration at 35-50 mph. I know the 33" Toyos are brand new, but think the balance is soo far off its insane. I noticed the PO had the lift kit installed, and the rear sway bar was missing bolts, and the one left on it was loose as hell!
I dont know the lift height thats on it, dont know the average height for the stock height to compare.
The guy had a rear driveline, and a anti slip yoke eliminator kitinstalled?? (wich i know nothing about)
Are the tires too big for it? I dbout the gearing has been changed, Wondering about the trani as well, heard the transmitions werent the greatest either.

Thanks for the help
I'd go through every nut and bolt on that thing and make sure they didn't leave anything else loose.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
rugerdog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help, i took the brand new driveline off, and flipped it to 4 high, and went for a drive. No vibration. Tires are good
Can i get it ballanced at a driveline shop? What dose something like that cost?
it is a short arm lift, seems like a 2.5" kit.
Unread 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
rugerdog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sorry, in Stanwood Wa, north of Everett.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.