Just bought a 30/35 combo with 4.10. What am I in for? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought a 30/35 combo with 4.10. What am I in for?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I can pick up a d30 or 35 and walk around with it...I'd assume about 150 is a good guess.
I should be able to pick up three or four of them at once - perfect!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
They're not the lightest things in the world, but not unreasonably heavy...I wouldn't want to be under one when it decided to fall on me, though.

To the OP: it's an easy swap...just take your time and study on it. Disconnect anything that connects it to the frame/driveline, and you're done with removal. Since it's the same thing going back in, you'll have an easy time of it. Just turning wrenches, is all. Technically, no more difficult than changing spark plugs...although somewhat more time consuming. Sell those stock axles and make a couple dollars back, and you'll have re-geared for less than $100! Or, even better...keep them for spare parts.
I figure I can probably sell my axles for more than 100 bucks, so I'm likely making money on this ordeal. Yeah, I'm still stuck with the Dana 35, but I can't wait to feel the difference between 31s with heavy steel wheels on 3.07 gears vs the 4.10.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJCO View Post
Yeah, I'm still stuck with the Dana 35, but I can't wait to feel the difference between 31s with heavy steel wheels on 3.07 gears vs the 4.10.
until you sell the d35 keep your axle shafts as spares in case you need them.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can leave your front brakes on and just use your calipers on the new axle. The rears you have to disconnect the brake lines and then bleed the brakes. Thats the only thing not mentioned in the thread yet. I just did this with a 30/35 with 4.56's and added a Spartan locker to the front. Its so much better.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

At one time in history, I had 3:07 gears...... they suck!! You will LOVE the 4:10 gears. Personally, if it was me, I'd swap only one axle at a time. Start with the rear axle one weekend. Saturday to do the swap, Sunday to test drive and work any issues out (if any). Then the next weekend, do the front axle on same Saturday/Sunday schedule. I'd start BP Blasten every bolt now. Make sure you have Jackstands and that you are very very safe in the manner you support the Jeep... Having a vehicle fall on you isn't something you want to do. If you can sweet talk a Jeep buddy into helping you, I would do so as it is always nice to have a couple extra hands.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swap , swapping , axle , d30 , d35 , dana 30 , dana 35 , install , installation , 4.10 , brakes , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.