Just bought an 05 Wrangler and having a few major issues need help quick - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Just bought an 05 Wrangler and having a few major issues need help quick

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963
I know on my 4.0 when the vacuum hose comes off the intake manifold, it renders the vent controls on my ac and heat in operable. I go out and re attach the hose and everything works fine. My hose is worn out and the rubber doesn't quite grab and hold like it used to. I used a super small zip Tye to restore some tightness to the hose and it hasn't come lose since. But anytime my controls go to crap, that's where I look. its just across and under the master cyl.
Yep, I have a zip tie on mine also. When ours would come off, we'd get a major surge in RPM at idle in gear, rather dangerous. We'd also lose cruise control.

Sent from my DROID2 using JeepForum

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
evanmullins1986
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the encouraging advice. I put seafoam in the gas hope that will help some. I am also planning to change the plugs and actually clean the throttle body. I am just hoping it is nothing major I have already sunk a **** load in this thing. I noticed earlier that when you reeve it and hold it around 1500 rpm it sputters then when you let off of the accelerator and as the rpms decrease the interior light kind of dims. The volt meter is steady or appears to be at 14. Seems like one thing after another.
evanmullins1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmullins1986
Thanks for the encouraging advice. I put seafoam in the gas hope that will help some. I am also planning to change the plugs and actually clean the throttle body. I am just hoping it is nothing major I have already sunk a **** load in this thing. I noticed earlier that when you reeve it and hold it around 1500 rpm it sputters then when you let off of the accelerator and as the rpms decrease the interior light kind of dims. The volt meter is steady or appears to be at 14. Seems like one thing after another.
Not just the throttle body, remove and clean the IAC.

Unread 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Also make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. I've seen corroded terminals cause some crazy symptoms

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
evanmullins1986
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I cleaned the battery terminals, iac and throttle body in addition to that I ran 2 cans of seafoam through the intake and poured about half a bottle in the gas. I also changed the plugs. The jeep ran perfect for the first 30 minutes of driving after this now it is having the same idle issue just not as severe as it was before (at least not yet) the plugs were actually in terrible condition and so was the oil ( appeared to be a oem filter so I thought that was odd )

I am beginning to wonder if this idle issue could be something else (fuel filter or cat converter ?) anybody know anything about this ? Take it the jeep idles at fairly normal rpm range now but sounds like it is kind of cutting out.
evanmullins1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #21
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmullins1986
I cleaned the battery terminals, iac and throttle body in addition to that I ran 2 cans of seafoam through the intake and poured about half a bottle in the gas. I also changed the plugs. The jeep ran perfect for the first 30 minutes of driving after this now it is having the same idle issue just not as severe as it was before (at least not yet) the plugs were actually in terrible condition and so was the oil ( appeared to be a oem filter so I thought that was odd )

I am beginning to wonder if this idle issue could be something else (fuel filter or cat converter ?) anybody know anything about this ? Take it the jeep idles at fairly normal rpm range now but sounds like it is kind of cutting out.
Has it thrown any trouble codes? You can find info on how to display codes using your odometer in the sticky section at the top of the tech forum.

After checking for codes you may want to reset the computer. Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable and hold it to the positive post for about one minute then re-connect. The computer will then re-learn. At that point, check for codes again.

Let us know...

Unread 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #22
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Your fuel filter is in the tank so id leave that alone right now. You'll get a check engine light once in a while if it was a cat. You sure the dealer didn't disable the check engine light? Take your key and turn it from the off to the on position (not start) three times. Your codes will show up where the odometer is and it will say done when they have all shown. Post any you have here.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rough idle , rpm increase , stall issue , vents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.