Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #121
JCRubicon06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just did mine!

I used a rack off a 1999 Ford Windstar. I think its pretty much the same rack as the explorer, but looks like it might sit lower. Only mod i had to do was to cut 1/2 inch off each cross bar and the rack fit right on b/w the outside ribs. After locating some hardware from Lowes and a can of black spray paint, the rack looked good as new!
I can fit my snowboard racks on there or a roof bag so it works for my purposes. Wanted something that didnt really stand out and looked stock. The nice part is that the crossbars slide out, so when they are removed you really cant tell that anything is up there

Here are some pics:
The Before, worn out...

All finished up:

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #122
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's the same as the explorer. Tie down rings and all.

How did you attach to the TJ hardtop?
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #123
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How much weight are you guys putting on the hard top. Last thing I would want to do it have it crack on me. What do you guys feel is a safe weight for it to hold. I am looking for extra room for storage as we have a little girl and baby that we are bringing with us on trips and the room in the back is getting tight even in the LJ.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #124
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
better late then never?

Front

Rear

With 5 screws on each side I didn't think I needed anything bigger than the large flat washers. But now that I am thinking of using the roof rack to lift up the hard top by via a overhead winch set up, I think I'll replace the washers with something bigger.
Question- Does anyone know what lays under those plasitc/fiberglass covers running side to side on LJ tops? I assume a metal strip, but have not tryied to find out yet, thought someone might already know. I am thinking of trying to hit one or both of those when I do my rack.

I have a Yakima Loadwarrior with after market XJ crossbars (like unistrut) I used on my XJ that I kept when I sold it. I had bike fork mounts on the outside of the rack. Would be handy to be able to reuse it and carry some reasonable loads or bikes up there when I have the hardtop on.

Now to find XJ rails.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #125
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like this, im going to check out my local pull-a-part and do this if I can find the parts
RDaniel2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #126
RubiDee
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby_3 View Post
How much weight are you guys putting on the hard top. Last thing I would want to do it have it crack on me. What do you guys feel is a safe weight for it to hold. I am looking for extra room for storage as we have a little girl and baby that we are bringing with us on trips and the room in the back is getting tight even in the LJ.
I think you can hold quite a bit of weight, but I don't think it's a good idea to put the kids up there!!
RubiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #127
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiDee View Post
I think you can hold quite a bit of weight, but I don't think it's a good idea to put the kids up there!!
Besides the little girl and baby my fiance has a old boy and I am sure he would love to ride on the top of the Jeep. I don't think he would like going fast but boys do crazy things. Of coarse I would never do this or put any of the kids in harms way.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #128
dirtworld
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive got another one for you guys if your interested, because i too think roof racks are a rip off at 459.99 for a kit without the snowboard carriers.... I went to a junkyard and grabbed a rack off of a 92 4runner and the rack is only about 37 inches long total all I needed for snowboard carriers so I threw it on there and put some neoprene washers and silicone sealant under them and where the bolts were on the top. total cost was 46$

mounting hardware:

dirtworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #129
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a roof rack today form the pic-a-part for $25. I will take some pics when I paint and install
RDaniel2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #130
Carlsbadrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know the measurment from the top of the hardtop to the top of the crossbar? I have 5 or 6 inches of clearance now pulling into the garage with my lift and 35" tires.
Carlsbadrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #131
RubiDee
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Carlsbad,
You should be fine, the XJ rack is only about 2 1/2" high but depending on how far out you mount the rails, you should only be 3" max high. I usually only mount mine if I am planning on carrying something...otherwise its just the rails..hardly higher than the ribs on your top. You won't be disappointed..great mod.
RubiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #132
TNJeeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious if anyone uses their rack as points to attach hoist. Would it be strong enough, or inadvisable?
TNJeeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #133
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNJeeeper View Post
Just curious if anyone uses their rack as points to attach hoist. Would it be strong enough, or inadvisable?
I haven't tried it (yet), because I don't have a garage, but I think it could work well. The way I attached the plates on the inside, I'm confident it would be strong enough.
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #134
fluffie
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The jk guys may wanna try the first gen expeditin racks. i had a expedition with the rack on it and it was a little bigger and wider then the explorer racks. If anyone is looking for something other then the factory rails also look around for a basket with the crows feet. I have a confer roof basket on the expedition i have and it worked with the factory rack so just something to consider. I would use it on the jeep if i didnt have a warrior products rack on it when i bought it .
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #135
TNJeeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs2016 View Post
I haven't tried it (yet), because I don't have a garage, but I think it could work well. The way I attached the plates on the inside, I'm confident it would be strong enough.
I wasn't as concerned about the bolts pulling through, especially with the plates added. I was more concerned about the rigidity of the top. Do you think it would warp? distort? After all, many hardtop owners don't have them on their jeeps for months at a time.
TNJeeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.