Junkyard Roof Rack - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Junkyard Roof Rack

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #106
DavoArts
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just finished putting mine on my 4door, I used one set of rails (that I cut down into 4 pieces) but took an extra cross bar and rail end tabs (as well as a lot more tie down hooks) from the salvage so I could have a third rail for carrying my windsurfing boards and gear to the lake and back. The explorer bars slide out pretty easily and that allows me to take the front bar off so I can take the two front top pieces off without any problems.

I ended up cutting the cross bars down (about a half inch on each side) because they were just barely too wide to fit between the two outer roof ridges on the hard top.

DavoArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #107
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^^ good job
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #108
jamcat77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I have been thinking of doing something VERY similar!
jamcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #109
Moose31
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Another Junkyard Option

I was going to do the Explorer mod, but unfortunately the racks in my local junkyard were a serious pain to remove. I started looking at some options and found a mid -90s Ford Aerostar rack that was not only easy to remove, but had a few extras that I thought were nice. This rack fit my LJ like it was made for it. All I had to do was trim the inside lips of the plastic base to make it fit flush up against the outside of my hardtop ribs.

The nice thing about the Aerostar is the 2 main cross-members are solid steel. The Explorer is a plastic/steel combination. Also the Aerostar has 3 smaller cross-members that work like a basket to keep loads off the roof and have additional tie-down spots. I went camping last weekend with a roof storage bag and it worked like a dream! Virtually no noise whatsoever. I was going to get a roof basket, but it worked so well I think I'll hold off.

I'm attaching some pics, but this is my first post so hopefully it works.

Moose31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #110
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the ideas guys. You just saved me a bunch of $$!

...and Boundless, what kind of top box is that in the pic in the snow that you posted?
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #111
blkrubi88
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got around to doing this mod.

blkrubi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #112
MisterO

If anyone wants I have the racks from an older Cherokee - they are more of a lower profile build, and would work out really well for this. I actually bought them for my LJ but sold it and now I have no use. They are chrome and I have all the pieces. Let me know if you're interested.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #113
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose31 View Post
I was going to do the Explorer mod, but unfortunately the racks in my local junkyard were a serious pain to remove. I started looking at some options and found a mid -90s Ford Aerostar rack that was not only easy to remove, but had a few extras that I thought were nice. This rack fit my LJ like it was made for it. All I had to do was trim the inside lips of the plastic base to make it fit flush up against the outside of my hardtop ribs.

The nice thing about the Aerostar is the 2 main cross-members are solid steel. The Explorer is a plastic/steel combination. Also the Aerostar has 3 smaller cross-members that work like a basket to keep loads off the roof and have additional tie-down spots. I went camping last weekend with a roof storage bag and it worked like a dream! Virtually no noise whatsoever. I was going to get a roof basket, but it worked so well I think I'll hold off.

I'm attaching some pics, but this is my first post so hopefully it works.

At least for me, the pix didn't come thru. When you get a chance could you give it another try? I'd like to see how it looks.
Thx
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #114
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of using a rack from a 2000 windstar. I only need to trim a quarter inch from each crossbar to get it to fit inside the hardtop ribs.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #115
Surfer1

Quick question...

Does anyone know if the rack from a 94 Ford Explorer will fit? (not the Explorer Sport, but from an Explorer).

I have to order this blind (not going to get the measurements)....

Really appreciate it...thanks!
Surfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #116
Moose31
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Aerostar Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLPilot View Post
At least for me, the pix didn't come thru. When you get a chance could you give it another try? I'd like to see how it looks.
Thx
Here are the photos (I hope)
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff465/Moose31/
Moose31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #117
DavoArts
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer1 View Post
Quick question...

Does anyone know if the rack from a 94 Ford Explorer will fit? (not the Explorer Sport, but from an Explorer).

I have to order this blind (not going to get the measurements)....

Really appreciate it...thanks!
Not a direct fit on mine, had to cut the crossbars down about an inch or two, nothing too hard to do.
DavoArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #118
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose31 View Post
That worked. Thanks.
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #119
ex m38a1er
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Μine...From a ZJ...

'WHO DARES,WINS'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/e...-my-tj-723762/
ex m38a1er is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #120
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nissan Quest roof rack and a cargo basket off of CL. Rattle can and some clamps.
imag0174.jpg  
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop , lj , roof rack , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.